Registered User doktorfaustus77's Avatar
    doktorfaustus77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doktorfaustus77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Critique my diet please

Hi, I'm still trying to perfect my diet for nutrition and slow fat loss. Can you examine my diet and fill in some gaps? My current stats are 180lb my height is 5.9 and my lifestyle is very active. Weight training 3 days a week, cardio twice. I've lost 25 pounds since January, alot of that I attribute to this forum.

Meal One: 1 serving of Mcann's Oatmeal
    1 morningstar garden veggie pattie
    coffee w milk + tbsn sugar =300calories 14g Protein

Meal Two: Clif Bar
    Greek yogurt=380 calories 22g protein

Meal Three: 2 slices Whole wheat bread
    1/4 lb Turkey=260 calories 26 g Protein

Meal Four: 2 tbsn Nat. peanut butter on 1 slice whole wheat bread
    =280 calories 12g Protein

Meal Five: 1 morningstar garden veg. pattie on 1 slice whole wheat bread =170 calories 14g Protein

Post W.O shake: 1/2 banana, 1 scoop protien powder, 1 cup 1% milk
    =250 calories 25g Protein

Meal Six: Trader Joes Kung Pao chicken= 600 calories 30g Protein

Meal Seven: Greek Yogurt 130 cal
    or slice bread w peanut butter 280 cal
    sometimes I will snack on some nuts or cottage cheese.

This is a total of around 2470 -2320 calories and about 160 g protein. I'm looking for optimum nutrition for lean muscle growth and to maintain my extremely physical lifestyle.

PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by doktorfaustus77
    Hi, I'm still trying to perfect my diet for nutrition and slow fat loss. Can you examine my diet and fill in some gaps? My current stats are 180lb my height is 5.9 and my lifestyle is very active. Weight training 3 days a week, cardio twice. I've lost 25 pounds since January, alot of that I attribute to this forum.

Meal One: 1 serving of Mcann's Oatmeal
    1 morningstar garden veggie pattie
    coffee w milk + tbsn sugar =300calories 14g Protein

***Lose the sugar in the coffee, or use a sugar substitute.

Meal Two: Clif Bar
    Greek yogurt=380 calories 22g protein

***You can eat better than a cliff bar. Fruit in the yogurt, whey shake, almonds, something natural and not processed to hell.

Meal Three: 2 slices Whole wheat bread
    1/4 lb Turkey=260 calories 26 g Protein

***Is that real turkey or lunch meat? I'm guessing lunch meat. Try a real turkey breast roasted with some veggies and 3/4 cup brown rice instead of bread.

Meal Four: 2 tbsn Nat. peanut butter on 1 slice whole wheat bread
    =280 calories 12g Protein

Meal Five: 1 morningstar garden veg. pattie on 1 slice whole wheat bread =170 calories 14g Protein

***Whole wheat bread isn't the worst, but you can do a lot better. Maybe have Oats here or whole wheat pasta.

Post W.O shake: 1/2 banana, 1 scoop protien powder, 1 cup 1% milk
    =250 calories 25g Protein

***More protien more sugar. 40g protien, 30-60 carbs.

Meal Six: Trader Joes Kung Pao chicken= 600 calories 30g Protein

Meal Seven: Greek Yogurt 130 cal
    or slice bread w peanut butter 280 cal
    sometimes I will snack on some nuts or cottage cheese.

***Get rid of the bread here, replace with milk if you eat the NPB. I am assuming it is Natural peanut butter?

***Overall. doesn't look too bad, i would worry about the amount of whole wheat bread you are eating. Replace with some other carbs. Is your fat intake high enough? should be a minimum of 20% for bodily functions. What exactly is the breakdown on the kung poa chicken..if it healthy being a premade deal.

This is a total of around 2470 -2320 calories and about 160 g protein. I'm looking for optimum nutrition for lean muscle growth and to maintain my extremely physical lifestyle.
    The ***'d stuff if my comments on the diet. I was pretty nit picky, but you did say optimum. I also am a fan of keeping processed foods to the bare minimum. The only thing i really eat that is processed would be the pudding powder i use to make meal replacements and some splenda in oatmeal if i add cinnamon instead of fruit. But you should make gains even if you keep that diet as is, they just won't be optimum.
    "There are no OFF days, just days you don't go to the gym."

Carb-Up does NOT mean Binge and Cheat!

Long Term Goal:
    225 lbs
    <10% BF

Registered User doktorfaustus77's Avatar
    doktorfaustus77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) doktorfaustus77 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, the turkey is lunch meat but almost always Boar's Head or one of the premium brands. these supposedly are less processed and largely preservative free.I do like the suggestion about Turkey breast and brown rice though. My problem w a lot of food is my job. I have no access to a refrigerator and all of my food must fit in a lunch box! I'm out in the field all day, literally.

The Kung pao chicken is just white meat chicken, various veggies, white rice and sauce. Its not the best choice but is a staple in my diet as I eat it out of convenience once a week. Sometimes I just cant stomach the foreman grill chicken breast and veggies for dinner.

Can you explain about the fat intake? I usually get about 50g of dietary fat, largely from the amount of nat. peanut butter I eat. I take an omega fish oil pill at least once a day but I admit sometimes I forget. Should I include some flax seed oil in my oatmeal for breakfast? And oatmeal twice a day that is a good source of carbs in lieu of the Whole wheat bread?

PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250) PennState has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like oatmeal twice a day over ww bread. Knowing your circumstances better i would say keep the turkey sandwhich then. I know i sometimes use some Boar's Head Roast Beef for wraps or sandwhiches if i don't want to deal with making food for a week.

1g fat = 9 calories, 20% of your daily intake should be from fat. So on a 2000 calorie diet you need at least 20% or 2000 * .20 = 400 calories from fat. 400 \ 9 = 44.444 so around 45g of fat in your diet.
    "There are no OFF days, just days you don't go to the gym."

Carb-Up does NOT mean Binge and Cheat!

Long Term Goal:
    225 lbs
    <10% BF