Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'10", 183 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1553
    EAC2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EAC2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit EAC2006's BodySpace

Post-Shoulder Surgery Workout?

I had surgery to repair a torn labrum back in August and am now in my last month of PT to rehab the shoulder. I know what I am allowed to do an not to do at this point, my question to anyone who has been in my situation: How long after surgery were you able to get back lifting decent weight? Were you ever able to bench heavy again? Looking for some motivation at this point, getting frustrated with running and leg workouts. Thanks!

Stats: 5'9", 185 lbs
    BodyPoints: 4336
    RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit RasLion's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by EAC2006
    I had surgery to repair a torn labrum back in August and am now in my last month of PT to rehab the shoulder. I know what I am allowed to do an not to do at this point, my question to anyone who has been in my situation: How long after surgery were you able to get back lifting decent weight? Were you ever able to bench heavy again? Looking for some motivation at this point, getting frustrated with running and leg workouts. Thanks!
    Shouldn't your doctor be answering this question for you?

Stats: 5'10", 183 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1553
    EAC2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) EAC2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Visit EAC2006's BodySpace

Red face As stated..

As I stated, I know what I can and cannot do (from my doctor)...my question was directed to people that were in my situation in the past and how they are doing with lifting now.

Stats: 5'11", 211 lbs
    BodyPoints: 498
    Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Briggsy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit Briggsy's BodySpace
    i was in a road accident and have to have my entire should ball joint replaced. my right arm was pinned up and pretty much out of action for about 6 months and when i did start out again at first i tried to work through the pain but that is a bad idea. I had to really learn to respect my shoulder joints as they both suffer wehn you have surgery when it comes to weight lifting.

you feel it most when working heavy in compound movements, it can at first feel like a weak link in the chain and you really have to watch how much your are lifting. start out alot lighter than most people would consider as you have to work hard to bring it back up to strengh with your other shoulder. stay away from barbells where you can as you will find your other hand becomes the stronger and takes over when moving heavy weights on a bench. Stick with dumbells as these will ensure you are not simply giving yourself a huge strengh inbalance and it also allows you to compare the strengh in your arms and gives you a quick way out should any pain start.

a couple of pointers also, stay away from impact exercises (punchbag/ martial arts) as these will aggravate any pain you have their. also try to take in some glucosamine, as any surgical work you have done on you will proabably give a good bit of paint when you get older so wherever you can find a way to exercise without over stressing you joints.

its just another pot hole in the road bud, by lifting weight in a smart way you will make life alot easier when you get a bit older and it will also help with keep a good solid range of motion in the joint.

any probs just pm me.

all the best man
    Altius, Citius, Forcius...

(corrected)

Nothing in this world is impossible to acheive given enough time, effort and polo mints

what did the cannibal do after he dumped his girlfriend?

flush

Stats: 5'9", 185 lbs
    BodyPoints: 4336
    RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) RasLion has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Visit RasLion's BodySpace
    As I stated, I know what I can and cannot do (from my doctor)...my question was directed to people that were in my situation in the past and how they are doing with lifting now.
    Well I have a shoulder problem now... I was diagnosed from my orthopaedic doctor having osteolysis of the distal clavicle in my right shoulder. He said if it did not get better then he would have to go in there and shave 5-7mm of my bone... that is not really what I wanted to hear or do.

I was just very concious of what was happening with my shoulder. Especially doing inclines and shoulder presses. Basically if it hurt I didnt do it. I took a month off from doing anything heavy on my shoulders and did rotator cuff exercises with 5lb dumb bells. I iced and massaged my shoulder daily. It's still not 100% and I can't do shoulder presses yet but it is doing muuuuuuuch better.

House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) House72 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    I had the same surgery actual twice, the first time I didn't heal right, I also had bone spurs removed as well.
    TO answer your question, After the second surgery, I waited almost a year before I went to even try to hit the gym hard. I started off real light, bar only 5lb dumbbells for all excercises. THen I worked my way up from there. After about 6 months of doing that I really started putting on the weight, FOr me I could just tell when to up the weight. If I could do something for 3 sets of 12 no problem, I would up the weight. I also used Cissus Rx, and other joint supps.
    But Don't do what I did, I overcompensated with my right arm to protect my left and strained my right shoulder. So I am nursing a right shoulder ache now.
    Best of luck and In time you should be able to do what you were doing before.

Stats: 6'0", 245 lbs
    BodyPoints: 8513
    ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000) ScoobyDrew is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit ScoobyDrew's BodySpace
    For those of you that have recovered, are/were you allowed to touch your chest with the bar for both bench and rows? I was basically told by my PT that I was no longer allowed to have my elbows pass the plane of my body. After doing full range of motion all these years, presses and rows seem like cheating without touching.

BodyPoints: 40
    hesse0650 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit hesse0650's BodySpace
    I tore about 1/3 of my labrum in my left shoulder and had it repaired. after about 3 1/2 months i was benching 135 for sets of failure(3x20reps) on top of the rehab, oh and working my shoulders with raises, but i was told i heal to fast by my doctor.

All he told me ws that i shouldnt bench over body weight again and i should stop playing football.... instead i hit 405x1 and started at O-line and blocking full back, sweet combo huh?

needless to say i tore the labrum in my right arm this year, and this one was worse. Its a half tear so well see how long it takes to recover.

In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Different injury but thought it may be useful: I had clavicle osteolysis and needed to have a clavicle resection done. It's now about 10 month after the surgery and only now am I starting to go back into it FULLY (granted, I took it very slowly and cautiously - patience is a virtue when it comes to these things as you should rather have 10-12 months without training than end up losing years at a later stage from not allowing the body to fully recover).

My main issue was not the area which was worked on itself, but rather the surrounding muscle, in particular the small (but crucial) stabilizers in the shoulders. These have a pivotal role in so many movements and once they lose efficacy, it is very difficult to get them back and you generate imbalances and compensatory habits which cause more harm.

As an example, my suprispinatus become virtually non-firing. This has been (and continues to be) the greatest struggle as I need to strengthen them up, in turn providing strenght and stability for the entire shoulder girlde.

Good luck,
    X

jpozsga is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I stareted to go back to gym after 4 months but still (after 1 year and 2 months) a bit strange with bench presses and shoulder presses we shall be patience..anyone who has opeartion of such a kind more than 2 years ago?

BodyPoints: 40
    hesse0650 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Visit hesse0650's BodySpace
    I had my left shoulder done just 2 years ago and its back to 100% if not better then it was before. It only took about 10 month total for me to get my bench back and to raise my shoulder presses over what they were before the surgery.

In The Realm of Ooshwabla xenithon's Avatar
    xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) xenithon has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'd like to quickly chime in on this. It is now 11 months and going from strength to strength. Do not get discouraged, as you may find things swinging up and down....going through pain free periods where you feel fantastic, to periods where there is discomfort, or pain, or weakness etc.

Very off things have come about recently though. Over the end of last year I was doing a lot of the rehab and strengthening work...daily at least, sometimes twice (one session bandwork, next session light dumbbell work and stretching etc). I had quite a bit of pain and weakness, funnily enough in the left (non surgical) shoulder too...possibly due to overcompensatory habits picked up post surgery.

About two weeks ago I started work again and have been extremely busy. Whilst it does not take long to fit in rehab work (10-15 minutes a day can often suffice) I slacked off a bit doing it once every two to three days. Since then, any pain has gone away....strength and balance has shot up....fatigue and tightness I was getting (specifically in the stabilizer and surrounding muscles such as the suprispinatus, traps, neck, pecs etc.) have all but dissipated.

Could just be coincidence, but could just be that I was working at it a little too overzealously, not providing enought rest and time to heal and recover.

Cheers,
    X

Stats: 5'5", 200 lbs
    BodyPoints: 622
    xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000) xshinx is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Visit xshinx's BodySpace

Cool

Originally Posted by EAC2006 View Post

The shoulder is a really delicate muscle due to all of use it for many different things. It is really important when training shoulders is that your form and technique are flawless. Any wrong sudden move and injury is waiting to haunt you down. I never went through a shoulder injury at all and thank God for that however I do remember going through my shin injury. I remember being so frustrated after all of that hard work and left the gym for 6-7 months. The injury took 5 months to heal and when I came back, I started everything from scratch.

Do not worry, it is a good thing we have people that know how to create alternatives for dumbbells and barbells with the help of technology. There are two types of special machines you can use: Smith Machine and Hammer Strength.

The Smith Machine is a great alternative to many of the free weighted barbell exercises. You can do multiple types of presses, squats, dead lifts, rows, and so much more. Just load some plates and you do not have to worry about trying to balance the bar. The Hammer Strength Machine is another great alternative and all you have to do is load some plates. My suggestion is to set up routines that utilizes both of these machines in order not to lose so much from training hard before. When you are ready to start back going to the free weights, just take gradual steps. For now, the greatest challenge you are going to face is your patience. You are going to need your patience in order for you to keep training hard and smart. Do not ever think for a second that lack the strength to perform the exercise.

I do not know about the recovery time for such a shoulder injury but just take your time doing any exercise, make sure your hand and feet positioning are correct and you are mentally tough to go through the fire of your life. I hope you get better soon.
    A True Warrior Never Backs Down From A Challenge.