txgrl29 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help!! Training older people and need help

Can I get some advice on how to train older people 50+. All of the sudden I have taken on about 6 people who are 50+ and wanting to loose weight and tone up. I am not too good at this, I am used to training people for shows. I feel like I sound totally stupid but just not experienced in this area. Any advice with routines and diets would greatly help!!

TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You want free advice so you can turn around and charge people for said advice?
    Lean body mass is my fat burner.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to be a complete a**hole at any time.

Great quotes from BB.com:

"I disagree with people that says that high reps and low weight do not tone your muscles . High reps (20-30) do something , but I dont know what is it, I hope somebody can tell something about it"
    -- piportil_l4

Message Board King best regards's Avatar
    best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Really any routine (5x5, starting strength, hst, etc.) would do you good. It's about the load with older people. Certainly do not give them high workloads.

Also, find out their past injuries and don't take any chances. Meaning, if they've had neck problems, don't perscribe heavy squats or heaby deads.
    Goal of June football camp = 400lb squat

Farwell, my friends. I'll be back some day. Just need to get my head screwed on straight.

"Thank you O God for saving the earth from the asteroid.... the one you just sent"

That is not true at all. In Fact, I have never charged a single person in my life. I love helping people and these are people I work with in the oil industry. I have a certification and my passion is competing and helping people do that. A majority of the people at work are older and know that I am certified so since I have never explored training older people I was just trying to get advice

best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) best regards has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by txgrl29
    That is not true at all. In Fact, I have never charged a single person in my life. I love helping people and these are people I work with in the oil industry. I have a certification and my passion is competing and helping people do that. A majority of the people at work are older and know that I am certified so since I have never explored training older people I was just trying to get advice
    Just ignore him.

He's trying to be clever.

Farwell, my friends. I'll be back some day. Just need to get my head screwed on straight.

"Thank you O God for saving the earth from the asteroid.... the one you just sent"

TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10) TheVirtualTaco is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by best regards
    Just ignore him.

He's trying to be clever.
    No, I wasn't trying to be clever.

From the first post, it sounded like the OP was a personal trainer. I'm of the belief that, if I'm paying someone to provide a service, they should do everything in their power to provide the best service possible. In the instance of a personal trainer, that person should be doing research, not just posting "Tell me how to do this" on a web forum.

To the OP, I think it's great that you're offering to help your co-workers. Have you checked out "Burn the fat, feed the muscle?" It's a great e-book on losing fat.

Here are a few workout links as well:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=750551
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=772206
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=914402

"I disagree with people that says that high reps and low weight do not tone your muscles . High reps (20-30) do something , but I dont know what is it, I hope somebody can tell something about it"
    -- piportil_l4

Originally Posted by TheVirtualTaco

From the first post, it sounded like the OP was a personal trainer. I'm of the belief that, if I'm paying someone to provide a service, they should do everything in their power to provide the best service possible. In the instance of a personal trainer, that person should be doing research, not just posting "Tell me how to do this" on a web forum.

To the OP, I think it's great that you're offering to help your co-workers. Have you checked out "Burn the fat, feed the muscle?" It's a great e-book on losing fat.

Here are a few workout links as well:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=750551
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=772206
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=914402
    I don't see anything wrong with what he did. He's smart enough to not take some BS advice. There are some very intelligent, experienced people on this board that could certainly help him out, provide links, etc.

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't see anything wrong with what he did. He's smart enough to not take some BS advice. There are some very intelligent, experienced people on this board that could certainly help him out, provide links, etc.
    Just a hunch, but I think "he" is actually a "she".

Originally Posted by mjw8204
    Just a hunch, but I think "he" is actually a "she".
    Yeah, good idea

There are some very intelligent, experienced people on this board that could certainly help him out, provide links, etc.
    Absolutely.

But I'm a proponent of the search function. Also, there's an entire forum dedicated to losing fat. In the long run, doing the research will be much more rewarding than just posting a question and hoping people will fully answer all your questions.

I do think it's cool that the OP is helping some of her co-workers so I threw out a few links for her to look at.

-- piportil_l4

Thanks for the links and all the advice, i do appreciate it very much. I was just wanting some advice and not to get anyone upset. I never made it in the personal training world because I felt so bad for charging them. If I know that someone wants to make a change to lead a healty lifestyle I am all for it and I love to share the knowledge I have for no charge

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheVirtualTaco

I'm of the belief that, if I'm paying someone to provide a service, they should do everything in their power to provide the best service possible. In the instance of a personal trainer, that person should be doing research, not just posting "Tell me how to do this" on a web forum.
    I have heard this line of thinking before....and I just totally 100% disagree.....coming to a forum and asking for advice IS doing research!!!

what other research do YOU advise???

the whole idea that someone who is supposed to be an "expert" cant ask for advice or search for answers, is the stupidest thing I have ever heard
    "Humility comes before honor"

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by txgrl29
    All of the sudden I have taken on about 6 people who are 50+

That's what she said.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Originally Posted by John Prophet
    I have heard this line of thinking before....and I just totally 100% disagree.....coming to a forum and asking for advice IS doing research!!!

what other research do YOU advise???

the whole idea that someone who is supposed to be an "expert" cant ask for advice or search for answers, is the stupidest thing I have ever heard
    See post #10.

But I'm a proponent of the search function. Also, there's an entire forum dedicated to losing fat. In the long run, doing the research will be much more rewarding than just posting a question and hoping people will fully answer all your questions.
    Asking how to train older people is a broad question.

-- piportil_l4