Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

I just had to say it......

When I started training everyone told me you should do compounds only. What will a 100 lbs barbell curl do for you if you can row 220 lbs or even 300? What good is a measly hamstring curls if you can do deadlifts with 400 lbs? What good is 20 lbs lateral raises when you can do db presses with 70 pounds? What usefulness does machinepresses have when you can lift the same thing without a machine? Is flyes any good when you can bench press so much more, the muscle fibers will get worked alot more than doing flyes with pitiful weights.

I believed all that and did it for more than two years (not understanding the differnce between intensity and total intensity). Now I have come to the conclusion that people who advocate compound only are often newbies who shouldn't be dishing out advice. IMO doing isolation exercises is VERY important if you are into BODYbuilding and not strength building. Compound exercises has their place but so do isolation exercises.

Rowing 220 lbs is good for the back but if you get tired in your arms then you are performing the lift WRONG! Doing curls will do more for the biceps and brachialis than rows ever will. This is true for MOST people. Some other will grow from compound only but they probably would grow even more if they did a little more direct work. The intensity of isolation exercises are HIGHER than compound for a SPECIFIC muscle. The TOTAL intensity on the muscles is higher with compound exercises. So an isolation exercise will work the specific muscle harder than the compound.

Why wouldn't you just do isolation then? Because the total intensity is lower. The importance of compounds is their ability to put the body under stress, this will make you grow and will help your islolation exercises, but isolation exercises will help the lagging body parts to grow.

I've been stuck with my bench press for one and a half years. Tried everything but nothing did work. Finally I tried machines along with my ordinary bench press and the bench are now finally goind upward steadily. Machines which isolate was a gold mine for my part. Excluding them just for being machines is pathetic and counter productive. You might learn alot about what you know if you knew that half of the stuff you've been feed about bodybuilding are from 145 lbs people whos been lifting for one year.

Then it comes to what rep ranges you should do. Some say low reps are best, some say 4-8, some advocate 10s. But many people seem stuck in their idea what rep range is "the best". Doing fives is not the best, eight is not best. It depends on two things. What exercise you are doing AND what your muscles respond to. After you've trained for a while you'll realize what rep range your muscles grow best in. My calves for example grow alot by doing three repetitions with very heavy weight and a ten second rest between sets. My legs respond to higher repetitions, 8-12 or even 20. Some muscles get worked better if I increase the weight each set perhaps going 12-8-6 on the sets.

The point is. If you vary your rep ranges you WILL grow better because you can adapt your training to what seem to work best. People who are stuck in a alpha"rep range" will plataeu and say their muscles are stubborn when the solution could be as simple as just lowering the weights a little and doing more reps or vice versa.

[end rant]

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh yeah, I totally agree. This isn't a powerlifting site, this is a bodybuilding site. More curlz 4 teh gurlz, I always say.
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Valley Dude has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Same here - I wasted 6 months with that "compounds only" stuff. My arms (and everything else I wasn't specifically targeting with an exercise) were lagging way behind, so I started with some isolation stuff for them, and within a couple of months I saw a big improvement. Bench press went up as well, after being plateaued for months.

Oh well, if people want to believe whatever trend is popular on the internet at the moment instead of actually trying different things themselves...whatever

ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ZZYZX has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    omfg, you're kidding right? There's a 3-page thread on this topic RIGHT NEXT TO THIS ONE.

Let the horse DIE already!
    -Sean
    U.S. Army 89B
    6'1", 32 y/o
    6/06/11: 241.5 lbs, 19.5% BF
    6/24/11: 235 lbs, 17% BF
    ...and leaning...
    (former) ACE CPT
    (former) Les Mills BodyPump instructor
    (former) Certified SPIN instructor
    ...which clearly means I know NOTHING about fitness or resistance training!
    Huntington Beach, CA
    "I've got a whole gym in my shower. I can blast my quads and lather my nuts at the same time." -HoosierBoy

Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ZZYZX
    omfg, you're kidding right? There's a 3-page thread on this topic RIGHT NEXT TO THIS ONE.

somebody missed the joke...

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    AGREED. keep the bull**** to yourself already.

EDIT: OH, not a funny joke.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ZZYZX weren't you green a couple of minutes ago?

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by GoJu

Sounds like advice you should take.
    Who was this love of yours?

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

EDIT: OH, not a funny joke.
    Shouldn't you be somewhere else, giving someone bad advice?
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

wow your contribution to bb.com is pretty much terrible.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by danj112
    Shouldn't you be somewhere else, giving someone bad advice?
    if you mean by bad advice you mean tips that wil actually build strength and size then yes you're right I should be elsewhere.

- Stizzel

IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IRONMANN1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheCore
    ZZYZX weren't you green a couple of minutes ago?
    yes i negged him. gotta problem?

SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SDFlip is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by IRONMANN1
    wow your contribution to bb.com is pretty much terrible.
    hahaha!

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lol, just wanted to know why and by how, he was 3 pos + before...

So it had to be by either someone with a lot of reps or he was gang negged

you don't have a single shred of concrete evidence.

Originally Posted by ThickAsABrick
    Sounds like advice you should take.
    hmmm, possibly.

- Stizzel

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Talking

IronMann has the power of neg.

Occupation: Customer Service Representative Assistant Instructor Neko-Do Goju-Ryu Karate-Do .

hahhaha!

so you work the front desk at a McDojo? awesome.

Lol, just wanted to know why and by how, he was 3 pos + before...

So it had to be by either someone with a lot of reps or he was gang negged
    He is my 3rd neg of all time. And what for:

Agreed. For what it's worth, I'm also a personal trainer.

If I were you, I'd concentrate more on form, and less on impressing friends with how many plates are on the bar.

I mean who responds to vids like this?

Therefore i negged.

Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    hahhaha!

so you work the front desk at a McDojo? awesome.
    there 2 seperate jobs shmuck, one I answer phones at a time share company and the other I teacher karate

- Stizzel

there 2 seperate jobs shmuck, one I answer phones at a time share company and the other I teacher karate
    sooo..... you answer phones at the McDojo?

He is my 3rd neg of all time. And what for:

I mean who responds to vids like this?

Therefore i negged.
    It depends...

I don't know what vid you're talking about, but if the person in question was lifing with very bad form, I would also say to lower the weights and use better form...

Than again, it sounds like the person in the vid is a personal trainer, and I doubt that he would lift in such a way...

Also I saw a thread made by ZZYZX (atleast I though it was him), in which he was bashing Rippetoe's routine without good reason, so I don't mind...

Originally Posted by SDFlipStyle
    sooo..... you answer phones at the McDojo?
    WTF did the "Mc" come from all this?

- Stizzel

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Wink

Here it is again...for those who missed it

Almost foolproof.

I feel like a broken record saying it.

Three things make an exercise a size builder for any given individual:

Two of them are for anyone, the third, for that individual.

1. High NMA or nueromuscular activation. The nervous system must react strongly to the movement. Accomplished by doing exercises that move the body through space, or with BBs, or with DBs. Free weight isolation exercises have as high or a higher NMA than machine compounds.*

2. Maximized Actin/Myosin pairing. Muscles exert their greatest force from about 110 of joint angle. Since the more myosin/actin pairings are optimal (read, lined up) the more force the muscle can exert, this explains why some isolation exercises are size builders, and some aren't. E.G. BB curls ARE, concentration curls ARE NOT. Lying Extensions ARE, skullcrushers ARE, kickbacks ARE NOT. Shrugs ARE. Calve raises ARE. Wrist curls ARE. **

3. For an individual, the given exercise must have enough RELATIVE isolation to elicit protein degradation on the target. If you are doing rows, and not hitting your lats, you need to find a different exercise. Going through the motions doesn't work. This is why the bench press builds huge pecs in some, but not in others. ***

*explains why leg extensions, despite being more direct, do not build as much size in the quads as squats. Why leg presses don't build as much size as squats.

**explains also WHY non-optimal isos DO elicit certain targeting effects-i.e. DB flyes-outer pecs, Cable crossovers-inner pecs, etc. ALSO explains why chins and rows DON'T build great biceps for many (exercises start with biceps in or toward contracted position-not good ratcheting action for most myosin/actin pairs)

***explains why lateral raises are needed by most for lateral deltoids-presses simply don't target the area enough to elicit a strong response.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Somebody needs to teacher engrish

Karate's cool, really cool. I mean, nothing cooler than grown men, playing Power Rangers with little kids.
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

It depends...

I don't know what vid you're talking about, but if the person in question was lifing with very bad form, I would also say to lower the weights and use better form...

Than again, it sounds like the person in the vid is a personal trainer, and I doubt that he would lift in such a way...

Also I saw a thread made by ZZYZX (atleast I though it was him), in which he was bashing Rippetoe's routine without good reason, so I don't mind...
    No, the vid was of me. And its on this front page. You can find it yourself. I dont mind constructive criticism. Why in the world do you think i posted it here..but to add in the pointless stupid statements sound just like what a 'trainer know it all' would say.

By golly i negged him and it felt good LOL

Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10) Briggsy is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the post above (by defiant) is pure quality! ^
    Altius, Citius, Forcius...

(corrected)

Nothing in this world is impossible to acheive given enough time, effort and polo mints

what did the cannibal do after he dumped his girlfriend?

flush

Karate's cool, really cool. I mean, nothing cooler than grown men, playing Power Rangers with little kids.
    LOLZ!!!!

Ah, Herro, thanka you fah carring the McDojo. Howa can I herp you?

ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ThickAsABrick has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    This thread is cracking me up.

lol
    Who was this love of yours?