whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) whiskeysticks is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Jump from machines to free weights - Shocked, I tell you!

I've been working a beginners program for around 20 weeks. Today was the start of a new cycle so I decided to get off the smith machine for bench and the Cybex Eagle overhead press machine. A shoulder injury and not doing anything for years is what made me decide to start with those. The start of a new cycle, more weights... After warmup sets, it was on the full weight. The free weights lifted much easier, too easy in fact. I ended up adding more weight as a result. It was a bit of a confidence booster knowing I could put more up than what I was doing on the machines.

Isn't it usually suppose to work the other way around - easier to lift more on a machine than with free weights?

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You can't compare them. The machines will always be different due to their mechanical differences of angles, leverage, etc.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Rasputin4 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It also depends on who manufactures the machines. I remember one time my gym replaced all their machines and I could do about half the weight on the new chest press as on the old one. The old one I could chest press way more than I could bench, the the new one less.

repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250) repsandsets has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    More stabilizing muscles are involved in free weights, so in that sense they're more work.

But... in the full range of motion, the resistance will vary more with free weights - because for part of the move the weight is moving across gravity more than against it. Whereas machines like the smith machine and cable machine maintain consistent resistance through a move, and therefore may be harder.

Have you checked your form in the mirror to make sure you're getting the moves right, and going the full range of motion?

Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Concat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by repsandsets View Post
    But... in the full range of motion, the resistance will vary more with free weights - because for part of the move the weight is moving across gravity more than against it. Whereas machines like the smith machine and cable machine maintain consistent resistance through a move, and therefore may be harder.
    That only applies to lifts that have appreciable horizontal displacement like flys, or lateral raises, not bench press or OHP.

sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50) sameaha will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Watch out machines lovers

I usually workout in local gym in town but now have to do my workouts in a different gym due to work relocation and shift scedule. So last week I did my leg extension exercise and the weight was 65 kg so I tried to do the exercise using the same weights in the other gym and I was SHOCKED! I could have injured my knee hadn't I stopped at the right time. Luckily it was a vein rupture or something else. No pain
    So i dropped the weight to 50 kg

I guess machines are totally different
    Stats:as of 6/1/2013
    Bench press::190*3-5
    Bent Row:165*6
    Squat:175*10
    Deadlift:: 285*5
    Pull up*20-25

Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Omfgorzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Tommy W. View Post
    You can't compare them. The machines will always be different due to their mechanical differences of angles, leverage, etc.
    This.
    It's time to get NASTY!

iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iamdetermined has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Some machines are just different. At the calf raise machine at my gym i usually do 300(inb4 chicken legs), but when i used the one at school i could on do 120. Thats why its better to just do free weights, no matter where you go the weight will always be the same.
    Do not think that what is hard for you to master is humanly impossible; and if it is humanly possible, consider it to be within your reach.