MattLefevere has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

The Grecian Ideal

What are everyone's opinions on the Grecian Ideal? For those who don't know, the Greeks believed that the male body looks best when perfectly proportioned, based on the measurement of the wrist and using a math equation to determine how big the neck, chest, arms, waist, legs, etc. should be.

I think it's a pretty interesting concept...I really look up to guys like Frank Zane and Bob Paris, who wanted to be big and ripped but not disgustingly huge. I have respect for guys like Ronnie Coleman and Jay Cutler, but I don't want to look that big. Is anyone else here a natural bodybuilder trying to achieve the "Grecian Ideal" physique?

Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10) Strongdog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thats probably what most people here are looking for. I know i dont want to look like ronnie even though i respect his time and dedication to the sport.

u guys...srsly... FatKidsOnMopeds's Avatar
    FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    very much so. i would take zane's body over cutler's anyday.

REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10) REBELZZ is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the Greeks also practiced homosexuality
    Using no way as a way using no limitation as a limitation
    favor the formless form

u guys...srsly... FatKidsOnMopeds's Avatar
    FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FatKidsOnMopeds is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by REBELZZ
    the Greeks also practiced homosexuality

i'm glad we're all posting mature, educated comments in this thread. sure they did...so do americans, what does this have to do with anything?

Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Shortyflex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like the grecian ideal, I think Eugen Sandow looked great. Most amateurs are probably aiming for something similar to it without knowing it, probably with bigger arms though.

The amount of effort it would actually take to sculpt your proportion that specifically, and then maintain it permanently would be unbelievable though, I don't know if it's even possible.
    I'm out to prove that vegetarians can be body builders too.
    I'm also a loser and would appreciate positive reputation for being so nice and stuff.

Rebelzz, if you don't have anything intelligent or relevant to say then get the hell out of here. We're here to talk about natural bodybuilding, so if you want to take steroids and look like Ronnie then go waste your time on another thread kid.
    Last edited by MattLefevere; 11-02-2006 at 04:20 PM.

Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anticrombie315 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by FatKidsOnMopeds
    i'm glad we're all posting mature, educated comments in this thread. sure they did...so do americans, what does this have to do with anything?
    You gotta remember this is the teen section bro.

But on topic, does anyone know what exactly these proportions are? I would be interested to see what i would need to aim for to get this "grecian ideal" physique.
    I used to be 135 pounds, give me a break.

Reps to:
    LilScrapper
    The Unleashed
    Carpe_Diem
    All_Swoled_Up
    Master.D.

skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000) skinnycalves is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by FatKidsOnMopeds
    so do americans, what does this have to do with anything?
    it doesnt have anything to do with anything but i lol'd, and greeks promoted homosexuality

i dmuch rather be like ronnie, i guess its because im a really small guy

Originally Posted by skinnycalves
    it doesnt have anything to do with anything but i lol'd, and greeks promoted homosexuality

i dmuch rather be like ronnie, i guess its because im a really small guy
    I'm a small guy too, which is why I'm trying to obtain that "Grecian Ideal" physique: it's a much more realistic goal. If you're a small guy and you want to look like Ronnie, it's just not going to happen. Even with all the steroids and heavy training in the world, you simply don't have the genetics that guys like Ronnie were born with.
    Last edited by MattLefevere; 11-02-2006 at 08:59 PM.

_Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000) _Bladen_ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Screw the Zane look, I want to be a freak.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson207.htm

To anyone interested, that's the link to the "Grecian Ideal" article on bodybuilding.com. If you scroll down near the bottom it has a calculator. Measure your wrist and type in the size, and the calculator will tell you what your ideal measurements are for everything. There's also a height-to-weight chart that tells you what your ideal weight is at your current height.

jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50) jax larue will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeh i'm after the old look like Eugen Sandow had,it looks better then what they have now guys with chest so big it looks like they have man boobs,and those itty bitty waists they have,which if built more like Eugen Sandow's would allow them to do more in the over head kifts and in squats.

East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) East Coast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MattLefevere View Post
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drobson207.htm

To anyone interested, that's the link to the "Grecian Ideal" article on bodybuilding.com. If you scroll down near the bottom it has a calculator. Measure your wrist and type in the size, and the calculator will tell you what your ideal measurements are for everything. There's also a height-to-weight chart that tells you what your ideal weight is at your current height.
    thanks for the link, those measurements give me something to shoot for

tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50) tee45peeolb will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i think that it is a great model

trouble1138 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What is ideal?

Ok so I am trying to decide what to strive for, should I go for the steve reeves ideal measurements or the grecian ideal? I think the main difference seems be the pecs. Should I aim for a big chest or go greek and leave it relatively underdeveloped compared to everything else?

ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ESPN2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    primo tren masterona + diuretic, this is your frank zane

Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10) Qeynoistroll is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by _Bladen_ View Post
    Screw the Zane look, I want to be a freak.
    And stay natty, hahahaha, oh wait, BANNED! LOL

ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10) ReeveConstruct is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Before joining bb.com, I too, read about the Grecian ideal and used the calculator based on wrist circumference. I hope to achieve proportions similar to Steve Reeves. Hence, my user name: ReeveConstruct.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #20 []---[]