sledd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question failing on a squat

ok i've never had to fail on a squat b/c before when i pushed them really hard i always had someone to spot me. now im working out by myself. if i have to drop the bar on a squat can someone tell me exactly what to do. ALSO what do you do if you get it up half way and get stuck w/out a spotter?

zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squat in a power rack. Set the pins just below the lowest you go. They will catch you.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

sledd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah i know that but like do you just drop straight to your knees and let the bar go. also can you answer what im supposed to do if i get it up half way and get stuck

zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by sledd
    yeah i know that but like do you just drop straight to your knees and let the bar go. also can you answer what im supposed to do if i get it up half way and get stuck
    Dont drop to your knees. And dont just let the bar go. It will damage the bar and you. If you get stuck, just lower the bar to the safety pins. You should be nowhere close to "dropping to your knees." Thats why they make power racks.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

CosmosM3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just keep squating lower until the pins catch the bar. Keep the weight over your heels, and lean back a little. At least that's how I do it...

Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bigbow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    no offense man, but why do you have to drop the weight? I squat heavy too and when I feel that I can't do the weight I go as far down as I can, push my head and chin up, plant my feet and push push push. This normally always gets me through my last tough rep. Maybe it is because I kinda lose good form but it is better than not completing the rep to me. Good Luck!

cobra kai has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

yah, I'm with bigbow
    'cept one time I was at the end of my sets, and I wanted ta' see if I could put up 3 45's each side just fer sh!ts and giggles....
    well long story short, I got to the bottom and that sh!t wasn't goin' back up, so I just slowly took it down to the safety pins.

just stay cool and keep your form and you'll be safe
    n00b!

Originally posted by Bigbow
    no offense man, but why do you have to drop the weight? I squat heavy too and when I feel that I can't do the weight I go as far down as I can, push my head and chin up, plant my feet and push push push. This normally always gets me through my last tough rep. Maybe it is because I kinda lose good form but it is better than not completing the rep to me. Good Luck!
    But sometimes the weight is just too heavy.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) chris008 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally posted by cobra kai
    yah, I'm with bigbow
    'cept one time I was at the end of my sets, and I wanted ta' see if I could put up 3 45's each side just fer sh!ts and giggles....
    well long story short, I got to the bottom and that sh!t wasn't goin' back up, so I just slowly took it down to the safety pins.

just stay cool and keep your form and you'll be safe
    funny **** bro! the same exact thing happenned to me like two years ago. I put 3 45's one day and when I tried to push up I was going nowhere. I was glad I was on the power rack then
    DA MAN!

DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10) DavetheDog is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have actually failed a squat, not in a safety rack. It was not pretty!!

Thankfully though it wasn't a really heavy set - it was my first day back after a quad strain and I wasn't as well recovered as I had thought.
    "Something witty and humorous"

Originally posted by chris008
    funny **** bro! the same exact thing happenned to me like two years ago. I put 3 45's one day and when I tried to push up I was going nowhere. I was glad I was on the power rack then
    Yeah, i've failed many times. I had what could have been a quite ugly failure with 505, but the power rack saved me.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000)
    Squat in the rack, always. It's never worth sacrificing safety with squats, you're dealing with a heavy weight on your back that could snap you in half.

If you get stuck, slowly lower yourself to where you have the pins set, and carefully set the bar down on the pins, watch your fingers

Right now I'm in a period of 20 rep squats, last week I hit 335 for 20, this week I'm going for 345. After the last rep of 335, I felt like I was going to die, not even sure how I made it past rep 15. I've found it's actually easier to put the bar down on the pins after your last rep of a heavy set than it is to try to rerack it.

If you've got the power rack or squat stands, use them. If you don't have them, I really wouldn't advise trying to squat.
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/bluehazard/

LG Psarm/Anadraulic State Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113518011

ok ok ok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ok ok ok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ok ok ok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ok ok ok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ok ok ok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ok ok ok has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like what bluehazard said about not trying to squat if you don't have a rack or a spot... that's sound advice

BUT

I am with you and I know giving up squats for sake of safety is a tough choice...
    If you're absolutely going to do it, and you have no rack or spot this is what I suggest. A week ago I failed at 405 (which is a fair amount of weight) and though I had a spot he missed me and was unable to help me up... I was in a deep squat with no chance of getting up. What I did, for lack of options, was let the bar go behind me... yes this might damage the bar but better an olympic bar than your back right??

it will go backwards with very little effort... and it wont roll down your back so there's no worries of that... just let it go behind you and it will fall safely to the ground.. make a big noise, possibly damage the bar (though it didn't in my case) but you'll be safe. It's important to keep cool though, panicing could result in an injury.

Good luck putting up the big weights!
    July24/06:
    ht: 5'10"
    wt: 192lbs

1 rep max:
    squat: 455lbs
    bench: 255lbs (poop)
    clean: 290lbs (hang clean)
    push press: 265lbs

supp: ZMA (Prolab)

video of me doing cleans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8IXSlX9l5c

Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bluehazard
    Squat in the rack, always. It's never worth sacrificing safety with squats, you're dealing with a heavy weight on your back that could snap you in half.

If you get stuck, slowly lower yourself to where you have the pins set, and carefully set the bar down on the pins, watch your fingers

Right now I'm in a period of 20 rep squats, last week I hit 335 for 20, this week I'm going for 345. After the last rep of 335, I felt like I was going to die, not even sure how I made it past rep 15. I've found it's actually easier to put the bar down on the pins after your last rep of a heavy set than it is to try to rerack it.

If you've got the power rack or squat stands, use them. If you don't have them, I really wouldn't advise trying to squat.
    Well said! (Other said it well too.) The power rack is your friend when it comes to squat. Always, always make sure the pins are set correctly before you begin your workout. If you fail during a squat, just lower the weight down on the pins and you're good to go. Watch your fingers, of course, as was mentioned.

If you don't have a power rack, consider doing lunges or maybe Olympic-style front squats (where you clean the weight up from the floor).

Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ok ok ok
    I like what bluehazard said about not trying to squat if you don't have a rack or a spot... that's sound advice

BUT

I am with you and I know giving up squats for sake of safety is a tough choice...
    If you're absolutely going to do it, and you have no rack or spot this is what I suggest. A week ago I failed at 405 (which is a fair amount of weight) and though I had a spot he missed me and was unable to help me up... I was in a deep squat with no chance of getting up. What I did, for lack of options, was let the bar go behind me... yes this might damage the bar but better an olympic bar than your back right??

it will go backwards with very little effort... and it wont roll down your back so there's no worries of that... just let it go behind you and it will fall safely to the ground.. make a big noise, possibly damage the bar (though it didn't in my case) but you'll be safe. It's important to keep cool though, panicing could result in an injury.

Good luck putting up the big weights!
    Still, make sure you know what you're getting into when squatting without a power rack. If you're at the bottom of the lift and you lose balance or your legs just unexpectedly give out, you could rip your quads right off. Look up what happened to Jean-Pierre Fux to see what I mean.

odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000) odoreater is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Bigbow
    I totally disagree. Whenever I have tried to push through a rep like that I have ended up doing something between a squat and a good morning by leaning forward more and then lifting it more with my back. The result of this has been back pain. I'd rather miss a rep because I couldn't get it up with good form then miss a workout because I got a rep up with bad form and hurt my back. Squats are especially dangerous when cheating or using bad form.
    Which exit? **** you, that's which exit.

Owe:
    wanderlei (spread) for Griffin/Evans
    bcooter151 (spread) for Mir/Nog

JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ^ I agree with what you said completely. That comment was HORRIBLE advice. You should never push out a last rep with bad form, if you can't get another rep with correct form, you shouldn't be doing another rep, period. There are some exceptions that aren't damaging (example would be cheating on a last rep of curls, but not by swinging your whole body back), but with squats that's a huge no-no. Never try doing some awkward bad formed cheat rep with squats, especially with heavy weight, you will only get injured.

And as everyone has said, it's really easy to just let yaself slowly come back down until it hits the bars and you are fine. The racks are so helpful everyone should use them, without them it's just plain unsafe.

BodybuildingMd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BodybuildingMd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BodybuildingMd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BodybuildingMd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BodybuildingMd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BodybuildingMd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BodybuildingMd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Uhh I can't believe what I am reading on some of these posts, your going to get this guy hurt!

RULES #1: DON'T SQUAT TO FAILURE WITHOUT A SPOTTER

It is dangerous with or without a squat rack I dont care what people say.

If you've been training at a decent gym for some time, i'm sure you know some of the local gym members. Ask them for a spot.

Yea the pins are a decent saftey precaution, but it's worth the risk.