plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000)

OUCH!I'm never deadlifting again!!!!!

Saturday I was doing 275 deadss and by back went blew up. This is the second time in the last three years. Everytime i get the itch to doing deads, it bites me in the ass. From my best guess I'll be off work for at least a week. It feels a lot like the last time in '04 . My mri then showed a herniation and a few bulged discs.
    Anybody else done this. What the best and fastest road to recovery? I need to get back to work plumbing as I am the sole financial support for the family. I went to the chiropractor this am and he just shook his head saying I learn really hard. I agreed and told him my deadlifting days are over.

md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just curious .. how's your form? Have you been deadlifting on a regular basis prior to this or did you just pick up 275 out of the blue? Do you do a lot of warming up/other core work? Do you use a belt?

Gotta be careful with your back ...

not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    no offence, but it sounds like you've randomly did dead's twice in two years.
    also, no offence again , but at the age of 39, your back isnt as durable as it was 20 years previous.

So i'm not saying be fragile, just be careful. Build up to it, because if your back's ruined, your life will be a whole lot harder
    Height -6'7"
    Aim is 130kg, woah nelly!

Been here since Sept 2006, should prob start posting..
    I love proving haters wrong. He who laughs last, laughs loudest!!

PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000) PhoenixBuff is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by plumher
    Saturday I was doing 275 deadss and by back went blew up. This is the second time in the last three years. Everytime i get the itch to doing deads, it bites me in the ass. From my best guess I'll be off work for at least a week. It feels a lot like the last time in '04 . My mri then showed a herniation and a few bulged discs.
    Anybody else done this. What the best and fastest road to recovery? I need to get back to work plumbing as I am the sole financial support for the family. I went to the chiropractor this am and he just shook his head saying I learn really hard. I agreed and told him my deadlifting days are over.
    Plumher - I'm 39 also and it not easy to deadlift any more. You really have to take it easy and use strict strict form - I cannot emphasize this enough - I've screwed my back up in the past and it almost hurts to deadlift any more at my age, but I do very carefully with a lot less weight than I used to do.
    United States Navy Veteran - GO NAVY!

LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LSU1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    and to be honest, some people just arent born to deadlift no matter how good their form is. seems like that may be you. you can develop a great back even without deadlifts if you have to.

if you still wanna try em, i would suggest trying sumo (puts less pressure on lower back) and maybe trying rack pulls to focus on getting your form down and maintaining a fairly upright and neutral spine.
    Best Raw USAPL Competition Lifts
    S - 415
    B - 315
    D - 540
    Total - 1245

Training Log

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=153130001&p=1052251991#post1052251991

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by LSU1
    you can develop a great back even without deadlifts if you have to.
    Bingo. If you don't like them, don't do them. Its as simple as that.
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000) plumher is just really nice. (+1000)
    not really just random deadlifting, but I've only done 15 or 20 workouts with deadlifts. I can squat 335+, and my hams,glutes, are strong. I had another lifter check my form w/ 225. He said it was pretty good, but I was looking down he said" don't have to look up, but damn sure don't look down. Most people say "look up" to keep you from looking down.
    I'll just have to find other ways to work my back. The pain I'm going through right now is not worth a few more bumps on my back.
    Last edited by plumher; 10-30-2006 at 03:49 PM.

not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10) not_buff_yet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    well, regardless of how much you can squat, you should try and create a more solid deadlift routine before doing them.

imagine if you have never bench pressed, but done tricep extensions and then whacked 300 on and pushed out 10. im sure you'd be pretty sore too
    Height -6'7"
    Aim is 130kg, woah nelly!

Been here since Sept 2006, should prob start posting..
    I love proving haters wrong. He who laughs last, laughs loudest!!

MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000) MrSinister is just really nice. (+1000)
    to the rack with you!
    My journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=5662511

New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) New_Kid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agreed and told him my deadlifting days are over.
    Your loss.

Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Bushmaster has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm 39 myself and have seen my share of back trouble but I can honestly say I've never hurt it doing Deadlifts. How's your form? Are you trying to lift too much?

After the chiro gets you sorted out, practice your form with nothing but an empty bar if you have to. I use an ampty bar as part of my DL warmup just to visualize and make sure my form feels right..

DL's are great and I hate to hear about people giving them up because of injuries..

Good luck!
    "Do you think SHE actually felt like that was a sexual thing he was doing? She's like 6. Only an actual p3do would think that she thought he was groping her, too."

"Not that it's impossible to touch a minor inappropriately, but it is true that a 6 year old girl will not recognize someone putting a hand on their chest as groping, whether it is inappropriate or not."

- Jayarbie

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=182007113&p=1671975503#post1671975503

Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    must have one pussy ass back

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)
    as LSU and others said earlier some people just arent meant to deadlift. doesnt matter how good your form is for some of us, deads just dont work out. if they give you problems, just dont do them. its as simple as that.

Registered User ericszimmerman3's Avatar
    ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) ericszimmerman3 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hm... i always had horrible back problems till i started doing beltless squats adn deadlifts being sure to support myself by flexing my abdominal muscles. I started out very light and Slowly built up and if it doesnt feel right i dont do it or go very light.

I had a pinched siatic nerve and have a degenerative disk along with scholiosis. Kinda sucks because im so young. My back has never been stronger thouh and I have no problems what so ever now.

I would recommend stretching and doing light exercises 1-3 times a day using body weight such as supermans. That is where you lay on your stomach and lift your legs and your arms (streched out above your head) off the ground

It worked wonders for me. When i had a pinched nerve nothing i or the chiropractor did seemed to make the slightest difference until i started doing body weight exercises (we went to a doctor who told me to do this)
    obessession is a a lazy persons word for dedication.

Working out:learn to love the pain

Why So S3ri0us? (((A^T^R)))_old's Avatar
    (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50) (((A^T^R)))_old will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good form=Safe Deadlifts

Bad Form=Dangerous Deadlifts

Mark Ripptoe's "Starting Strength" teaches you how to pull from the floor right. With every possible detail. If you pull with a neutral spine..then there is no danger. Most people either round their back or raise their ass out of position before the weight even leaves the deck.

just my .02

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by (((A^T^R)))
    Good form=Safe Deadlifts

Bad Form=Dangerous Deadlifts

Mark Ripptoe's "Starting Strength" teaches you how to pull from the floor right. With every possible detail. If you pull with a neutral spine..then there is no danger. Most people either round their back or raise their ass out of position before the weight even leaves the deck.

just my .02
    read my above post. sometimes it doesnt matter how good your form is, you can still get hurt. some people just arent meant to deadlift.

Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Kouta has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    people here are right some people are not built to deadlift, they are usually guys that are good squatters. Long torsos short legs and arms. If i was you i would want to get back doing some work for your back. Try and find a gym that has a reverse hyper, they seem to be great for strengthening a back without hurting it.

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When you recover, you could try some light Rack Pulls, then build from there. Set the bars about 2 to 3 inches below the knees.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

[QUOTE=Kouta]people here are right some people are not built to deadlift, they are usually guys that are good squatters. Long torsos short legs and arms. If i was you i would want to get back doing some work for your back.

I definately fall into that category. I'm 5-9 and have 29-30" inseam. Isn't it hard too keep your form perfect through the whole set. I tried going more slowly this time around,but as a veteran lifter, I always seem to want to lift more than the previous workout. My partner said looking on that it seemed like I wanted to pull the weight like a barbell row with my arms over my knees before the rest of my body caught up. No matter, call me pussy or whatever you like. My routine will be well rounded, but deads won't be in it.

KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ericszimmerman3
    hm... i always had horrible back problems till i started doing beltless squats adn deadlifts being sure to support myself by flexing my abdominal muscles. I started out very light and Slowly built up and if it doesnt feel right i dont do it or go very light.

I had a pinched siatic nerve and have a degenerative disk along with scholiosis. Kinda sucks because im so young. My back has never been stronger thouh and I have no problems what so ever now.

I would recommend stretching and doing light exercises 1-3 times a day using body weight such as supermans. That is where you lay on your stomach and lift your legs and your arms (streched out above your head) off the ground

It worked wonders for me. When i had a pinched nerve nothing i or the chiropractor did seemed to make the slightest difference until i started doing body weight exercises (we went to a doctor who told me to do this)
    I had a similar thing with the pain in the leg, groin, and low back and your right, bodyweight exercises and stretching can make a big difference.
    "I'm worried about deadlifts too. I mean the word "dead" has got to be in there for a reason. Are you sure they won't kill me?" - olympic

oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) oldnoob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MrSinister
    to the rack with you!
    Agreed. After a back injury (inflamed spinal nerve sheath I think it was), deads caused it to flare up and I'm confident my form was good. So, much as I loved them I;ve let them go and now do rack pulls instead and have had no more problems. Depending on the nature of your injury they could be worth looking at - nothing beats the feeling of lifting a huge* amount of iron.

*for me!

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Sorry to hear about your injury. Going by a lot of the deadlift videos posted on YouTube, it's no surprise why the lift causes so many problems. Beyond a back angle of around 30-45°, the exercise becomes a lot more dangerous and you're rolling the dice every time you lift. Some guys are lucky to have been blessed with strong backs built for it which allows them to get away with it.

Also, some people simply don't have favorable proportions for deads, i.e. long torso with short limbs, so it's always going to be an uphill battle, just like squats are for those with the opposite (long limbs, short torso). You can work around that by keeping your form strict and keeping the hips down or switching to sumo, but some people have specific weaknesses that make it difficult (weak hams and glutes, etc.) so they need to be addressed first. The main problem with pulling from the floor is learning to keep the hips down. Not so low that you're "squatting" it up (I'm talking about conventional deads here) but not so high that you're stiff-legging it. Somewhere between the two extremes.

Assuming an injury isn't serious, I'd be experimenting with sumos first, then the trap bar, and if all that fails, stick with rack pulls, especially if you have no interest in powerlifting and just want to build the back.

Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Phlexjr has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

DeadLifting

It could be a series of problems than anything else.

1. If it hurts the lower back, then he has a problem coming off the floor and staying tight to the patella.

2. Middle to upper back, his traps and rhomboids are weak. He needs to do fold over shrugs.

Pin Pulls or Rack Pulls are the best thing for you now. Your lower back is soooo weak, and I am being serious.You need to strenghten it by doing lower back extensions with weight, supermans on the floor, work up to reverse hypers. Practice some good mornings with very light weight.

Last question: do you have a alternate grip or double overhand? If you use the double over hand, it has the predispostion to pull you out of your bodies fluid motion (it pulls your forward). So instead of sitting back, like your squat, you are actually coming forward in the lift, instead of up.

Band training with deadlift-this will help your stablizer muscles to control the lift during explosion movement. You are a fish when the weight gets heavy=your body isn't tight when you are lifting the weight. Using bands helps to train the muscles that balance the weight on your body.
    Dont start nuthin, wont be nuthin
    Perfect practice makes perfect
    Rehab is for quitters

md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000) md3sign is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Phlexjr
    It could be a series of problems than anything else.

1. If it hurts the lower back, then he has a problem coming off the floor and staying tight to the patella.

2. Middle to upper back, his traps and rhomboids are weak. He needs to do fold over shrugs.

Pin Pulls or Rack Pulls are the best thing for you now. Your lower back is soooo weak, and I am being serious.You need to strenghten it by doing lower back extensions with weight, supermans on the floor, work up to reverse hypers. Practice some good mornings with very light weight.

Last question: do you have a alternate grip or double overhand? If you use the double over hand, it has the predispostion to pull you out of your bodies fluid motion (it pulls your forward). So instead of sitting back, like your squat, you are actually coming forward in the lift, instead of up.

Band training with deadlift-this will help your stablizer muscles to control the lift during explosion movement. You are a fish when the weight gets heavy=your body isn't tight when you are lifting the weight. Using bands helps to train the muscles that balance the weight on your body.
    Couple things:

1) what makes you think his back is weak? plenty of strong individuals have blown out their backs for one reason or other.

2) alternate/double overhand has absolutely nothing to do with leaning forward. I don't see HOW it's possible to pull forward on a deadlift. that doesn't even make sense. standing too far from the bar is another story, but that's more of a beginner's "mistake" that everyone makes until they get their form down

EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EoR has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry to hear about the injury.

I've had sciatica and shifted discs, pins and needles when ever I sat with bad posture and I thought deadlifting would be something I would have to miss.

It was the opposite. Deadlifts and other posterior strengthening exercises helped strenghen my core and keep better posture and spinal alignment.

90% of my back problems went away, but I started VERY VERY light and got my form down. I made sure each set I was following the proper form checklist. I watched videos and asked many questions.

Recovery, well believe it or not but water aerobics would be great. Definitely leaving out deadlifts and other exercises like good mornings and whatnot. I am not sure if you are taking medication, it's not severe enough for surgery?

I hope it heals fast, good luck!
    EoR is powered by unique Nanomolecular Hyperdispersion Technology. Giving him high bioavailability and myocellular saturation.

AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500) AdamJames is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

First off sorry about your injury, secondly you're not old but to damn old for deadlifts. ha! I am 36 and there is not need for us to be doing deadlifts right? What the hell are the benefits? nothing. Leave that excercise for the young'uns. I dont even lift heavy anymore, its all about being cut and fit for me.

But I only wanted to tone Viking22's Avatar
    Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Viking22 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I don't know why trap bar deads aren't more widely used. Takes a lot of the form issues out of the lift.
    Green: It's the new Red

Let's just pray we're still allowed to vote in 2012.

Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Hola Bola has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Viking22
    I don't know why trap bar deads aren't more widely used. Takes a lot of the form issues out of the lift.
    Most gyms don't have them.
    Audentis Fortuna Iuvat

Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tall Lefty has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't do barbell deadlifts from the floor at all anymore.

I'm 47 and have had back issues before. I do NOT want them again. I will do trap bar deadlifts and barbell rack pulls now only. They are great exercises and much much safer.

ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ShotClock has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Does this thread scare anyone else? I've been deadlifting for months and (thank God) haven't had any problems. I think my form is good, I follow Starting Strength closely. Still, reading this forum and seeing that some people "just aren't built for it" scares me- does this mean I have to get injured (even if I use perfect form) before I find out I'm not "built for it"?