Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Talking Plyometric training the newest fad

Plyometrics is re-placeing core training I see.
    Whats your take on this method of training.
    I bet sprained ankles will be the most treated Gym injury this year as a result of this form of training.
    Whats your take?

bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000)
    I was a sprinter on my college track team. Not only did I spend a lot of time in the weight room and getting a lot of mileage, but I did a lot of plyometrics. I think they are a great way to develop explosive power, especially when in addition to squats, deadlifts, and power cleans. Explosive power is what a sprinter needs to get out of the blocks.
    "The best-laid schemes o mice an men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns

"You can believe in stones as long as you don't throw them at me." -

"Some say he can swim seven lengths under water and he has webbed buttocks. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

"Some say that his skin is the texture of a dolphin's and that he has his own satellites. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000) IdahoViking is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bamatank
    I was a sprinter on my college track team. Not only did I spend a lot of time in the weight room and getting a lot of mileage, but I did a lot of plyometrics. I think they are a great way to develop explosive power, especially when in addition to squats, deadlifts, and power cleans. Explosive power is what a sprinter needs to get out of the blocks.
    A good bowl of chili gives me all the explosive power that I need.
    Any workout you can walk away from is a good workout.

is here to fuk sh!t up! steeperdolphin's Avatar
    steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by IdahoViking
    A good bowl of chili gives me all the explosive power that I need.
    LOL... It is a hate and love relationship. I hate doing it... But I love the results.
    Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.

I am black.

Finding my Potential empresscat's Avatar
    empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been curious about plyos. Seems like they'd be a good adjunct to the core lifts.

samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I've been coaching soccer for about 20 years. I used plyometrics in it's early years to increase my 3-step explosiveness when I played and I swear by it for that purpose. I have used the methods off-season for the higher level teams I coach and have seen some great results.
    I feel the love for the program for these purposes. I am not to sure to what advantages in carido or core strenghting priniciples this might add. This will most definitley put wear and tear on the ankles and knees if not done right, I know for most of us, at our age, we are pushing the joints to their limits as it is.
    MILITARY RETIRED

NYY, NYG, NYR hometown fan - no matter where I move.

hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Maybe with a padded floor?

Originally Posted by samori
    I've been coaching soccer for about 20 years. I used plyometrics in it's early years to increase my 3-step explosiveness when I played and I swear by it for that purpose. I have used the methods off-season for the higher level teams I coach and have seen some great results.
    I feel the love for the program for these purposes. I am not to sure to what advantages in carido or core strenghting priniciples this might add. This will most definitley put wear and tear on the ankles and knees if not done right, I know for most of us, at our age, we are pushing the joints to their limits as it is.
    If we jump from a firm surface to a soft surface that might reduce the shock on the joints from impact.
    I know when I do box jumps at hight I always come down hard and feel it in my ankles the next day.

samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) samori is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    bama and hap make some good points. As I mentioned before I used it for soccer training and as a sprinter. It got me to 4.3 speed because I was so explosive out of the blocks. My 100 (yards not meters) time could not break 10.2 though, indicating all my speed was right out of the blocks.
    Could we as Hap said maybe go some with padding? Bama's point of being able to explode in squats and deads has merit.
    I have a book or two on the subject, maybe it's time I blow the dust off and revisit it.
    MILITARY RETIRED

Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have only been exposed to this in conversation with a few guys at the gym, basically as I understand it, its techinques to increase power. Power is when strength is converted into speed, the whole point being improved athletic performance not necessarily muscle definition or volume.

Dont see much of it at my gym, but if anyone has a good website on it I would love to read it.
    Sig = not worth the petty B.S.

Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Defiant1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bamatank

Yep.

Most gym people don't really need them, but they are effective for power (in the real sense) training.
    CSCS, ACSM cPT.

Odin just do a search under plyometrics, lots of info out there!

Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Odin1970 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by hapkido
    Odin just do a search under plyometrics, lots of info out there!

I did, I usually goto Wikepedia for data, its a decent source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

Reading through it briefly it strikes me as an athlletic performance enhancing theory and not necessarily consistant with Body building. While power is important to get muscle fibers to a higher level of endurance (and then by default growth) Plyometrics seems to be geared more for the football/soccer/track and field athlete who needs quick bursts of maximum intensity and output.

Don't forget Martial Arts and that max lift we all want from time to time.

Don't forget Martial Arts and that max lift we all want from time to time.
    My martial arts career ended with a herniated disc, 40 pounds over weight kicking a stationary post didnt agree with me. Didnt get to Dan status but I had my brown and was ready to take the test.

I see you're point by way of sparring or real time application of defense techinques.

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If we jump from a firm surface to a soft surface that might reduce the shock on the joints from impact.
    I know when I do box jumps at hight I always come down hard and feel it in my ankles the next day.
    Which isnt always a postive thing.

An athlete does not have a soft surface to jump down on during a jump shot in basketball or does a football player have a soft surface to run on during a football game.

There is some 'implication' in doing plyometrics on a soft surface, however that is only to be utilized when the athlete is already doing a high amount of impact type training.

My website is down right now or I'd post the link to my article on Plyometrics.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

Per Ferrum, Ad Astra- Mel Siff

Thumbs up Keep me posted

Originally Posted by FortifiedIron
    Which isnt always a postive thing.

An athlete does not have a soft surface to jump down on during a jump shot in basketball or does a football player have a soft surface to run on during a football game.

There is some 'implication' in doing plyometrics on a soft surface, however that is only to be utilized when the athlete is already doing a high amount of impact type training.

My website is down right now or I'd post the link to my article on Plyometrics.

Kc
    Always willing to learn more.

JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000) JRT6 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    There are some plyo's that I think we can do, like jumping up for instance, however I'll leave the jumping down for the high school kids.

FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) FortifiedIron is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by JRT6
    There are some plyo's that I think we can do, like jumping up for instance, however I'll leave the jumping down for the high school kids.
    What goes up.. must come down

Kc
    Last edited by FortifiedIron; 11-01-2006 at 04:55 PM.
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

http://fortified-iron.com/board/entry.php?2-FortifiedIron-Wave-Progress-For-Strength-Training

And next it will be?

What goes up.. musce(Must) come down

Kc
    That is what concerns most of us.

That is what concerns most of us.
    Whops.. sorry for the typo

Effects of plyometric jump training on bone mass in adolescent girls.

Clinical Investigations
    Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 32(6):1051-1057, June 2000.
    WITZKE, KARA A.; SNOW, CHRISTINE M.

Purpose: The purpose of this study was to investigate the effects of 9 months of plyometric jump training on bone mineral content (BMC), lower extremity performance, and static balance in adolescent girls (aged 14.6 +/- 0.5 yr; 22.7 +/- 14.0 months past menarche)..........

.....Conclusion: The trends observed in bone mass between groups suggest that plyometric jump training continued over a longer period of time during adolescent growth may increase peak bone mass.
    The Effect of Neuromuscular Training on the Incidence of Knee Injury in Female Athletes
    A Prospective Study
    Timothy E. Hewett, PhD*, Thomas N. Lindenfeld, MD, Jennifer V. Riccobene and Frank R. Noyes, MD

Cincinnati Sportsmedicine Research and Education Foundation and Deaconess Hospital, Cincinnati, Ohio

* Address correspondence and reprint requests to Timothy E. Hewett, PhD, Cincinnati Sportsmedicine Research and Education Foundation, 311 Straight Street, Cincinnati, OH 45219

To prospectively evaluate the effect of neuromuscular training on the incidence of knee injury in female athletes, we monitored two groups of female athletes, one trained before sports participation and the other not trained, and a group of untrained male athletes throughout the high school soccer, volleyball, and basketball seasons. Weekly reports included the number of practice and competition exposures and mechanism of injury. There were 14 serious knee injuries in the 1263 athletes tracked through the study. Ten of 463 untrained female athletes sustained serious knee injuries (8 noncontact), 2 of 366 trained female athletes sustained serious knee injuries (0 noncontact), and 2 of 434 male athletes sustained serious knee injuries (1 noncontact). The knee injury incidence per 1000 athlete-exposures was 0.43 in untrained female athletes, 0.12 in trained female athletes, and 0.09 in male athletes (P = 0.02, chi-square analysis). Untrained female athletes had a 3.6 times higher incidence of knee injury than trained female athletes (P = 0.05) and 4.8 times higher than male athletes (P = 0.03). The incidence of knee injury in trained female athletes was not significantly different from that in untrained male athletes (P = 0.86). The difference in the incidence of noncontact injuries between the female groups was also significant (P = 0.01). This prospective study demonstrated a decreased incidence of knee injury in female athletes after a specific plyometric training program.
    The Effects of Plyometric training on the Shoulder Internal Rotators
    Chad Fortun
    Thomas W. Kernozek, PhD

Plyometric Training of the shoulder IRs improves isokinetic power, passive ROM, and functional performance as measured by a softball throw for distance.......

http://murphylibrary.uwlax.edu/digit...998/fortun.pdf
    * Lloyd DG.

Department of Human Movement and Exercise Science, University of Western Australia, Nedlands, Australia. dlloyd@cyllene.uwa.edu.au

This commentary presents the rationale for training programs to reduce the incidence of knee injuries. Our studies have revealed that the external knee loading patterns during sidestep cutting are what put the anterior cruciate ligament at greatest risk for injury. Compared to running, sidestep cutting involves similar levels of knee flexion loading but increased loading in varus-valgus and internal rotation of the knee, and these external loads need to be stabilized or supported by the internal structures of the knee. People use a generalized hamstrings and quadriceps co-contraction to stabilize these external loads, thereby reducing ligament loading. It is proposed that perturbation of the joint receptors reinforces the use of selective hamstrings and quadriceps co-contraction patterns superimposed on a generalized co-contraction pattern. This is not by immediate ligamento-muscular protective reflex, which is too slow to provide any adequate support, but by enhanced proprioceptive information that may be used in learning. In contrast, the immediate effect of muscle stretch reflexes would be to reduce co-contraction, a possibly negative outcome for joint stabilization. The effects of different types of training on the control of joint stability are examined. It is proposed that resistance training may not be appropriate because it enhances muscle stretch reflexes, which may reduce co-contraction, and produces no reductions in voluntary activation times and time to peak torque. However, stability and balance training is thought to suppress muscle stretch reflexes and, in turn, enhance co-contraction. Also, stability and balance training that stimulates the knee joint ligament and capsular receptors may reinforce co-contraction patterns to facilitate greater improvements in joint stabilization. Stability and balance training and plyometric training produce reductions in voluntary activation times and times to peak torque, which may decrease muscle response times so players are more able to perform rapid and unexpected sports maneuvers. Training programs that emphasize these neuromuscular mechanisms may enhance protection of the anterior cruciate ligament and reduce the incidence of injury.
    If you want more info, please let me know

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

Good information above./Thanks

Good information above./Thanks
    Anytime.. I do alot of research.

If I had all the research studies and writings I've read over the last 5 years I could easily fill up my computer, sadly i've lost my hard drive several times over lol

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

Thumbs up

Great info, reps!!
    I have always been a fan of plyometrics. Used it alot myself years ago and swore by it. Have been using it for a few years training college bound soccer players. I sometimes run across skeptics due to the impact. This info will help me show the benefits.
    MILITARY RETIRED

bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000) bamatank is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you are interested in a soft surface to do plyos on, a field (soccer or football) is always a good place. Also, is you find a rubberized track that was made more for distance running then that will do. Dictance tracks are a softer rubber and sprint tracks are a much harder rubber.
    "The best-laid schemes o mice an men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns

"You can believe in stones as long as you don't throw them at me." -

"Some say he can swim seven lengths under water and he has webbed buttocks. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

"Some say that his skin is the texture of a dolphin's and that he has his own satellites. All we know is, he's called The Stig."

Originally Posted by samori
    Great info, reps!!
    I have always been a fan of plyometrics. Used it alot myself years ago and swore by it. Have been using it for a few years training college bound soccer players. I sometimes run across skeptics due to the impact. This info will help me show the benefits.
    They are awsome and a really good benefit.

Most people dont know they are utilized in rehabilitation aswell. Most of the exercises demoted as "bad" are utilized by sports rehabilitationist all over the world. There is no bad, its apply it and understanding it that is bad.

Kc
    Fortified-iron.com/forum

Kyle@fortified-iron.com

back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50) back2it will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They are awsome and a really good benefit.

Most people dont know they are utilized in rehabilitation aswell. Most of the exercises demoted as "bad" are utilized by sports rehabilitationist all over the world. There is no bad, its apply it and understanding it that is bad.

Kc
    I wish that back I was a kid that there had been info like this available to gym teachers . When I was in highschool I dislocated both of my shoulders a number of times ,all from wrestling . I often wonder if exercises like plyometrics would have helped strengthen my rotator cuffs and knee ligaments. I am sure it would have reading what you posted here.

I love plyometrics............I just have to adapt to my age and such.

Tired of being lied to resurrected's Avatar
    resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000)
    when I was trianing teens many years back in my former life, I used alot of plyometrics. I found it worked great for the kids who wanted to do football and sports. I have quit doing it myself though due to my age.

ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50) ServoScanMan will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'll never do it. I'm not as flexible as I used to be. On the other hand, my youngest son (6th grade) has used this method and it must have paid off. He has the quickest 40yd dash, 100M dash times and highest vertical jump in his class.

So...younger people will probably benifit from this more than someone my age.
    47yr male, 5'11", 235lbs, BF who knows? (Oct 05)
    48yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 15.2% BF (Nov 06)
    48yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 15.2% BF (May 07)
    49yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 14.5% BF (Aug 07)
    49yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 13.5% BF (Jan 08)
    50yr male, 5'11", 200lbs, 13.5% BF (Jul 08)

....and the height chart says I'm fat...ugh!
    Oh well, I gotta one pack ab.

karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50) karategirl will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My husband and I just stared doing explosive training on the bench from a neg postion using the power rack bars.
    It has really improved our bench gains