Craig98203 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help with home equipment - Possible workout?

Hi, I'm 47 years old, 6'1", 239, 36% body fat and my goal is to lose fat and build mass. Currently, I work out with a personal trainer once a week and workout at home twice a week. I am a beginner at working out.

I own a treadmill, 40 lb. dumbbell set (20 lbs each dumbbell), 5 lb. ankle weights, 2 lb dumbbell set, and a 3 lb. dumbbell set.

My typical home workout looks something like this:

Stretches
    5 min warm-up on treadmill
    Planks - 2 sets (40 secs/30 secs)
    Dumbbell squats (1x15/1x10)
    Bicep curls (1x15/1x10)
    Leg lifts w/ankle weights (1x15/1x10)
    Crunches (1x25/1x15)
    Overhead dumbbell presses (1x15/1x10)
    5 min treadmill cooldown
    Stretchout

My cardio exercises consist of 20-30 mins on the treadmill and some Taebo with the ankle weights.

Do you have any suggestions for a possible workout for me? Is there any other equipment I should consider? The available space I have in my home for equipment is limited which is why I have avoided a bench and barbells but would consider at least the bench.

Or, am I gonna need to step it up to a real gym?

**S U P E R B E A S T** Meatpants's Avatar
    Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Meatpants has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you can afford the personal trainer, why not go to a gym?

If you can only afford one, dump the trainer and join a gym.
    To whom much is given, much is expected.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.

ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ectoBgone has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you don't have room for a power rack, bench, weights, and dumbbells going up into the 100 lb. range (adjustables can be helpful here), then you're going to be pretty limited with any long term goals. I think a real gym would be the way to go for now anyway. If you find out that this is a lifestyle you plan to continue for a long time and want to work out at home, that would be the time to revisit buying more equipment.

SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SteveR40 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ectoBgone View Post
    If you don't have room for a power rack, bench, weights, and dumbbells going up into the 100 lb. range (adjustables can be helpful here), then you're going to be pretty limited with any long term goals. I think a real gym would be the way to go for now anyway. If you find out that this is a lifestyle you plan to continue for a long time and want to work out at home, that would be the time to revisit buying more equipment.
    ^^^^^^ This

EX-Team MuscleTech Rep MuscleTechRob's Avatar
    MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) MuscleTechRob is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hey Craig,

Congrats on making the lifestyle change! Stick with it, because it'll be the best decision you'll ever make. I should know, 'cause I used to weigh 245 lbs. myself (i'm only 5'8")...

While I agree that joining a gym would provide you more value for your money, I can appreciate the need to have someone such as a trainer guide you into the fitness world.

Having said that, there are quite a few exercises that don't require machines or weights at all, such as:

- lunges
    - push ups
    - dips (although a bit advanced, can be done off the edge of a chair)
    - step ups (onto a chair or bench)

As for dumbbells, don't forget to look at the many variations each standard exercise has. For example:

Standing dumbbell biceps curls can be done seated, they can be done as "concentration" curls, "hammer" curls, as well as "reverse" curls.

Another example would be shoulder workouts. You can do your standard shoulder presses, but you can also do: side lateral raises, front raises and rear deltoid flys, all with the dumbbells you already have.

The possibilities really are endless. It just takes a bit of research, a bit of creativity and a lot of practice!

Hopefully this helps you out a bit, but you've definitely come to the right place for information and knowledge!

Best of luck buddy.

Train hard,

Rob
    **FORMER** Team MuscleTech Rep

"10/10: This is by far the most extreme product MuscleTech has released." - GUnit69 http://bbcom.me/xeu57k

********.com/MuscleTech | Twitter.com/TeamMuscleTech | Twitter.com/MuscleTechDeals | YouTube.com/TeamMuscleTechVideos | Groups.bodybuilding.com/Team_MuscleTech

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    IMO, first (and easiest) goal...get diet in check. Second goal, lose 40 lbs (srs). Losing weight is free (except for the food). Do some body weight work (pushups, pullups dips, crunches and walking).

It is very difficult for most guys to gain mass and lose BF (your two stated goals) at the same time. If you eat to lose weight, trying to build muscle is a lot harder. if you eat to gain mass, losing BF is a lot harder. For experienced people, this is a little easier (because they are aware of their body and how it reacts to things). For relative newbies, choosing one or the other allows you to align your goals with your diet, and your ability.

Not saying my way is right or wrong, just adding a different perspective.

Congrats on the decision to change your life.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Craig, if you are working out with a personal trainer, why not do the workout he or she is giving you?

Having said that, I think you need to join a gym.

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Craig98203 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My reason for the personal trainer is because going into this I knew that I would never put on myself the kind of workout my personal trainer puts me through. Once it becomes a lifestyle and habit, I'm confident I can fire the personal trainer and switch to a gym and do it myself. In a nutshell, I needed to be pushed...make sense?

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    The ONE thing I can say is, use the ankle weights for leg raises ONLY do NOT wear them while you walk run jump
    Podiatrists in the 70's & 80's made millions off of idiots destroying their feet with the unsprung impact of ankle weights on the small bones and connective tissue of the feet

Originally Posted by Craig98203 View Post
    My reason for the personal trainer is because going into this I knew that I would never put on myself the kind of workout my personal trainer puts me through. Once it becomes a lifestyle and habit, I'm confident I can fire the personal trainer and switch to a gym and do it myself. In a nutshell, I needed to be pushed...make sense?
    I would suggest using a trainer IN THE GYM YOU WILL JOIN.
    that way everything you learn can be used in that gym later
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Arrow

I cannot tell you this will absolutely work for you, but this is what I've done to help lose weight (fat) and maintain as much muscle in the process. First thing, and most important to me , was I completely changed my diet. I won't get into that much more because it doesn't directly answer your question.

In regards to what you're asking , specifically, I work out at home.
    For various reasons (mostly physical ailments) I found it very difficult to make it to the gym on a regular basis. I bought myself a Bowflex Revolution, an Eliptical machine and I have several 1 piece hexagonal dumbbells (20x2,25x2,30x2,35x2,40x2,50x2) that I make use of.

I workout mon,tues,thurs and fridays using a combination of the dumbbells and bowflex each session. I also try and mix up my routine to add variety and confuse my body a bit, coming at it from several angle. For example, for chest I do flies, decline, incline, press, etc. In the past (20+ years ago) I used to love to train in the gym. In some ways I miss not being there. But times change and I try and make the best out of my current condition and still live a lifestyle that I enjoy.

My wife also helps me count reps, breaks in between steps and she's basically my cheerleader on the sidelines. I'm going out this Saturday and doing some looking around for some new workout equipment. I'm considering buying a hack/squat machine and dip/pullup stand.

The best word of advice I can give you, if you really want to workout from the home is eat properly and stay motivated! When you're out at the gym, it's easier to "get it done", compared to being at home with all the distractions. For some people , it's simple to go from "weight night tonight!" to "nevermind, I'll just go watch a movie with my wife instead" when you're trying to workout from the house. As far for me, I crave working out regularly, and if anything, I'm guilty of overtraining, rather than being lazy and easily sidetracked.

Anyways, best of luck to you!
    Started August 10th, 2010: 314.5lbs
    Total Weight Lost: 42.1lbs
    Since Dec 6th - current: confined to bed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.
    -----------------------------------
    August 10, 2010: 314lbs
    Sept 31st, 2010: 298.0 lbs
    Oct 31st, 2010: 290.8 lbs
    Nov 28th, 2010: 281.6 lbs
    Dec 26th, 2010: 276.8 lbs
    Jan 28th, 2011: 272.4 lbs

Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000) Landor is just really nice. (+1000)
    My personal opinion is you do not need a trainer. You are not extremely over weight or stated that you have any special needs. To lose weight you need nothing more then to diet. To gain muscle you need to lift weight. What you have weight wise will not cut it to gain muscle. I agree with the others. Dump the trainer. One session with a trainer will cover a month at the gym.

All the info you need is on this site. I came in to this just like you. I learned and am making head way. You can too.

Good luck on your journey.

JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JerryB is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Craig, these are questions your personal trainer should be answering. Your personal trainer should have a routine for you to follow at home with the equipment you described. Have you asked your personal trainer for suggestions on home equipment?

If you do not want to invest the money for equipment or have the space for such equipment required for serious weight training at home, then a gym membership it the best avenue for your goals.

jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10) jamescanada is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    My personal opinion is you do not need a trainer. You are not extremely over weight or stated that you have any special needs. To lose weight you need nothing more then to diet. To gain muscle you need to lift weight. What you have weight wise will not cut it to gain muscle. I agree with the others. Dump the trainer. One session with a trainer will cover a month at the gym.

All the info you need is on this site. I came in to this just like you. I learned and am making head way. You can too.

Good luck on your journey.
    I agree with this sentiment , for the most part.
    I've gone from 314lbs on Sept 1st to 292/3 as of today, using my simple method.
    I'm not sure what sort of special needs you have, but for myself, I have all 10 toes amputated and a few other issues that made it a bit difficult to just stroll into my local gym and workout at a pace that suited me and didn't tie the machine(s) up too long. If you're anything like myself, you just want to see the scale move in the right direction and get onto the right path in terms of diet and feeling more fit.

Small steps in the right direction start to build a solid foundation. Then you can keep pushing your boday towards your ultimate goal(s).
    Since Dec 6th - current: confined to bed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo.

tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) tmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    best reason i have heard - whatever it takes imo

i also agree if you don't have room for a power rack, fid bench, and a 300lb oly set go for the gym

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jamescanada View Post
    If you're anything like myself, you just want to see the scale move in the right direction and get onto the right path in terms of diet and feeling more fit.

Small steps in the right direction start to build a solid foundation. Then you can keep pushing your boday towards your ultimate goal(s).
    This^^ is why I would never make it as a personal trainer. IMO, I believe an overweight person (and I was one in a big way) is far better served to lose at least a percentage ( half of their goal weight would be my suggestion) before they touch a weight. I know my way is not popular among may here, but it is what it is. If it is truly a lifestyle change for a lifetime, then 6 months worth of purposeful dieting should be easy. This allows for tuning the diet, and getting the body in better condition to handle the rigors of honest, hard weight training. I see 400 lb guys in the gym curling 15 lb dumbbells (srs) and think because they are doing "something," they will make their goals. IMO, all it does for severely overweight people is put it into their head that they have "earned" more calories since they "worked out."

James, I applaud your effort, and this^^ is not towards you (I promise). But, for anyone wanting to see the scale move "in the right direction" as it relates to weight loss should (IMO) consider diet changes only (and maybe some moderate cardio) until they are ready to commit to the "iron."

I have battled fat for 42 years. I followed my own advice (from above), and I am really glad I did. I dropped the first 30 of my 85 total, by diet, and walking the dog. THAT was it. Once I saw the 30 gone, my motivation level went through the roof. The next 55 was easy.

My way worked for me. Others have started off right away on the weights. I have seen too many people who are severely overweight, wake up one day and commit to a "life change," only to be eating pizza by lunchtime.

Good job on deciding to change your life. Yours won't be the only one changed by your decision.
    If you poke a bear in the eye, expect a bear like response.

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    This^^ is why I would never make it as a personal trainer. IMO, I believe an overweight person (and I was one in a big way) is far better served to lose at least a percentage ( half of their goal weight would be my suggestion) before they touch a weight. I know my way is not popular among may here, but it is what it is. If it is truly a lifestyle change for a lifetime, then 6 months worth of purposeful dieting should be easy. This allows for tuning the diet, and getting the body in better condition to handle the rigors of honest, hard weight training. I see 400 lb guys in the gym curling 15 lb dumbbells (srs) and think because they are doing "something," they will make their goals. IMO, all it does for severely overweight people is put it into their head that they have "earned" more calories since they "worked out."

James, I applaud your effort, and this^^ is not towards you (I promise). But, for anyone wanting to see the scale move "in the right direction" as it relates to weight loss should (IMO) consider diet changes only (and maybe some moderate cardio) until they are ready to commit to the "iron."

I have battled fat for 42 years. I followed my own advice (from above), and I am really glad I did. I dropped the first 30 of my 85 total, by diet, and walking the dog. THAT was it. Once I saw the 30 gone, my motivation level went through the roof. The next 55 was easy.

My way worked for me. Others have started off right away on the weights. I have seen too many people who are severely overweight, wake up one day and commit to a "life change," only to be eating pizza by lunchtime.

Good job on deciding to change your life. Yours won't be the only one changed by your decision.
    As I was typing that I considered how it might be taken.

Like I mentioned initially, I'm a very firm believer that wieght loss, especially people in the 300+lb range (like I was) starts with diet. Also, when you're carrying around that sort of weight , changing diet and lifting weights, monitoring the scale on the daily basis is a big no-no, as far as I am concerned. My comment really was meant more as a natural by product, your weight/scale numbers will drop. For example, using my case again, I relied on how I looked (and those around me felt) and how my clothes fit. I recognized from the start that changing my eating habits was going to be the foundation of improving my weight issues and lowering my 30%-40% body fat.

In my case, I absolutely love lifting and I have limited mobility, so doing weights was one of the methods I felt was best used to occupy free time. Going out for walks are difficult tforme, and even swimming is nearly impossible. The eliptical has helped feed that cardio niche that I long for, because it's so low impact and the Bowflex/free weights gives me that "pump" I have craved since the 80's, when I used to lift regularly.

I do agree with you that very simple exercise and diet (coupled with the willpower, desire and motivation to stick to your guns) is a superb way for very overweight people to start making those necessary steps in the right direction. All two often people get overly enthusiastic, set their sights way too high (right away), overdo it, become frustrated and next thing you know they've given up (and feel worse than before) or they start cheating, etc.

(sorry for the long winded reply)

cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cryoung is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    First and most important, you are making a decision to change. That is half the battle.

Different things work for different people but, for me, taking a longer term lifestyle change approach is working. I don't think anyone ever can succeed without setting long term goals.

I was 253lbs a year ago and through making small, consecutive, positive changes, I am now down to 214 and starting to build muscle. If I tried to change my diet, workout and do the cardio a year ago, I would have given up.

I'm beyond happy with the changes I made and looking forward to taking it to the next level.

Best of luck, would love to watch your progress.

Hi, I'm 47 years old, 6'1", 239, 36% body fat and my goal is to lose fat and build mass. Currently, I work out with a personal trainer once a week and workout at home twice a week. I am a beginner at working out.

I own a treadmill, 40 lb. dumbbell set (20 lbs each dumbbell), 5 lb. ankle weights, 2 lb dumbbell set, and a 3 lb. dumbbell set.

My typical home workout looks something like this:

Stretches
    5 min warm-up on treadmill
    Planks - 2 sets (40 secs/30 secs)
    Dumbbell squats (1x15/1x10)
    Bicep curls (1x15/1x10)
    Leg lifts w/ankle weights (1x15/1x10)
    Crunches (1x25/1x15)
    Overhead dumbbell presses (1x15/1x10)
    5 min treadmill cooldown
    Stretchout

My cardio exercises consist of 20-30 mins on the treadmill and some Taebo with the ankle weights.

Do you have any suggestions for a possible workout for me? Is there any other equipment I should consider? The available space I have in my home for equipment is limited which is why I have avoided a bench and barbells but would consider at least the bench.

Or, am I gonna need to step it up to a real gym?
    The pain is short term. The benefits are long term.

Over 40 Transformation of the week:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/body-transformation-chuck-young-staged-a-comeback-at-49.html

Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Skidmarx is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You need better equipment to work out from home. IMO the bare minimum should be a power rack, adjustable bench, olympic barbell & weights, dumbbells.

Here's a great thread that will tell you all you need to know about power racks, the most important piece of a home gym.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=126624063

I've got a garage full of equipment, most bought used on craiglist cheap. Lots of gyms have closed down during the recession, so there's a big supply of equipment out there.
    []---[] Equipment Crew Member No 7
    ()---() York Barbell Club #7 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #13 []---[]
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #9 -!!!---!!!-

philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500) philipj is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You want to work at home, and have listed the equipment you have. Between body weight exercises and your tools you can do well.

Re the dumbells that you have. Some years back John Grimek had an article and a center fold of exercises that he call the super 12. If I recall right, and I used this on & off, it started with calf raises,, squats, overhead press, curls, prone tricep extensions, bent arm pull overs, flyes and a prone press, a bent row and a last set of squats.

Never get away from chins or pull ups, and push-ups especially between chairs. There was a tie at a bench press contest. In order to break the tie, they dicided to put a 45 lb weight on each person back as they did push ups. One guy broke out in a smile, as he had been doing pushups with his son sitting on his back. winner winner winner.

Lastly, Jack Lalayne had s hort work out of a squat with dombells in each hand, upon rising the dumbells were pressed over head. Followed by curls, a laying flye where the weights were at arms length and floated to the hips that brought up to the chest with straight arms(LIKE CARRYING A LOAD OF BRANCHES), FOLLOWED BY HOLDING A DUMBELL ON HIS UPPER CHEST AND DOING CRUNCHES, THEN LEG SISsORS TO THE LEFT, ON THE BACK AND ON THE RIGHT side. Repeat as needed. Note Jack challenged Arnold to come work out with him, Arnold did not survive the warn ups.
    Do what's right.