View Poll Results: is smoking a diet aid

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES smoking aids fat loss

11 29.73%
  • NO smoking does not aid fat loss

27 72.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Smile Smoking And Fat Loss

i am a diet,again,yes i smoke, but i was told at the gym,as well as how bad smoking is,bla, bla, bla, that smoking may interfear with fat loss, due to my body, going into shock, due to smoking, releasing cortisol and then insuiln.
    when i trained at Progress House, Hadleigh, Essex, U.K. a few years a go every one on a pre contest diet smoked, so what is the truth, does smoking mess up fat loss or not
    thanks...
    Last edited by ss24xbhandyman; 10-26-2006 at 01:50 PM.

ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ss24xbhandyman
    i am a diet,again,yes is smoke, but i was told at the gym,as well as how bad smoking is,bla, bla, bla, that smoking may interfear with fat loss, due to my body, going into shock, due to smoking, releasing cortisone and then insuiln.
    when i trained at Progress House, Hadleigh, Essex, a few years a go every one on a pre contest diet smoked, so what is the truth, does smoking mess up fat loss or not
    thanks...
    i know that nicotine suppresses your appetite and a lot of smokers tend to over-eat for a while if they quit as their body is not used to it and they regain their appetite. That being said the negatives outweigh the positives, everyone should know that.
    "Success comes before work...only in the dictionary"

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=936089

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=937460&highlight=ozigal

Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10) Startinup is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you must not get out much
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Trust me I'm ALMOST a Doctor

scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) scottiep has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I hate smoking with such a passion!!! I am in the process of building a relationship with a girl I was with over 10 years ago. Of course, she smokes, picked that up after she threw me to the wayside back then. I am laying it on the line for her now telling her how my feelings for her are slowly being less and my walls are going back up. I WOULD NEVER GO OUT WITH A SMOKER!!! Honest to God, I still have a piece of paper that I made back in second grade about the downfall of smoking so I already new at such a young age the detriments of doing it. If there is one human/s I would take out in a heartbeat, it would be the one/s that created the man made killer!!!! Just still blows my mind how people pay to dig their own grave early!!!!

Sorry, just had to express my feelings.

Scottiep
    Weight: 182
    Height: 6'2"

Determination and Drive
    God Bless

Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000) Agent Lazy 78 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Yes, smoking does raise your metabolism slightly and curb your appetite some, but the benifits of not smoking FAR outweigh the fat loss help from lighting up.

I am a reformed smoker, I quit cold turkey one day and have not missed it at all. I now have more energy to do cardio with, which will of course burn more fat than smoking an entire pack of camel non-filters back to back.

guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50) guy121 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well I smoke 0-2 cigarettes a day and maximum of 10 when out drinking(not very often). These are camel lights so definitely not as harsh as reds. I told my doctor and he said that isn't even enough to kill me or really do much of anything to me. So I guess its all a matter of how much you smoke in general.

Though I have noticed it helps some people with fatloss. Some of my friends who smoke are fat and one drinks every night and smokes 1-2 packs of reds a day. He doesn't care, and I'm sure he's going to have some major problems later in life.
    Last edited by guy121; 10-26-2006 at 03:06 PM.

SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    why even do that to yourself? If you aren't patient enough to lose the weight the right way, then odds are your going to gain it right back after cuz u dont have enough determination, and then you stuck with the fat, maybe a little more, AND an addiction
    DATE : HEIGHT : WEIGHT : BF% : NOTE
    12-01-04 : 6'2 : 220 : ? : End of Football Season. whey only
    7-20-05 : 6'3" : 225 : ? :Quit football, moved to AR
    5-25-06 : 6'3" : 258 : ? : Herniated disc, began cardio
    9-10-06 : 6'3" : 216 : 26% : Began Weights again
    10-09-06 : 6'3" : 209 : 24% : Doc's orders after injection, no weights

Goal:
    BF%:15
    Current: 20% (11-10-06)

"[Being Christian] is a battle, no one said it's easy, it's a battle, that's why we've got that big book" - John Piper

7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Smoking uses up many of the body's critical vitamins..not to mention all the crap a cigarette has inside it. If I were to smoke, it would be a cigar of some sort or marijuana and when I was done with that, I would detox with the quickness

Smoking aiding fat loss?....

That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard lol The excuses people will come up with just for a smoke. It's sad..

SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SoonerStud has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i wouldn't call it absurd. i've seen it happen, but its like, slight, and temporary, and when you quit my friends said they gained it back.
    DATE : HEIGHT : WEIGHT : BF% : NOTE
    12-01-04 : 6'2 : 220 : ? : End of Football Season. whey only
    7-20-05 : 6'3" : 225 : ? :Quit football, moved to AR
    5-25-06 : 6'3" : 258 : ? : Herniated disc, began cardio
    9-10-06 : 6'3" : 216 : 26% : Began Weights again
    10-09-06 : 6'3" : 209 : 24% : Doc's orders after injection, no weights

Goal:
    BF%:15
    Current: 20% (11-10-06)

"[Being Christian] is a battle, no one said it's easy, it's a battle, that's why we've got that big book" - John Piper

7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7:360 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SoonerStud
    i wouldn't call it absurd. i've seen it happen, but its like, slight, and temporary, and when you quit my friends said they gained it back.
    Losing weight and gaining it back: that sounds pretty absurd to me

I'll pass on the cigarette and keep my endurance up. I'm not a big fan of the color pink but I am 100% for it when we're talking about the colors of my lungs

I used to smoke cigarettes back in my beginning years of high school and I would've never dreamed of running a 6:20 (1 mile). The benefits of not smoking outweigh the benefits of doing so by far.

smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I must say, I am impressed at the maturity of this thread.

If you were to go to other boards, you could bet your bottom dollar that EVERY reply would be a big anti-smoking rant. It is refreshing to see people are actually addressing the question in a more informative way rather than knee-jerk abuse.

I was a pretty heavy smoker too. Easily put back a pack a day, probably nearer 30, and up to 50 on a Friday night. I thought I liked it -- something only a smoker/ex-smoker could understand -- but I eventually realised it did me no favours whatsoever. I read Allen Carr's book, and that put it all in perspective.

I also stopped cold turkey and haven't desired a smoke since. And I'm darn glad of it. That said, I'm not about to go holier-than-thou and start bashing smokers. I hate the persecution they suffer when, in reality, they are practicing a legal and centuries-old habit. The real people the criticism should be aimed at are the government and the tobacco corporations.

As for fat loss, I can certainly sympathise with how smoking keeps one in reasonable trim. Smoking did blunt my appetite an awful lot, and I'd often reach for a smoke instead of a snack. There is also the argument that smoking boosts the metabolism, but I can't vouch for that.

When I stopped smoking, I put on around 30 lbs of fat in three months. I found myself snacking like crazy (30 cigarettes a day is an awful lot of "idle time" to keep your hands and mouth occupied). I must admit that it made me hugely depressed.

But on the plus side, my energy came back in a major way. I bounced out of bed in the mornings and had full lung power; it was amazing to be able to run up the stairs without feeling out of breath. Then of course it was wonderful not to feel the "fear" any longer, having to replenish cigarettes on a daily basis.

I did finally get round to losing the weight again and getting in the best shape of my life, and I can honestly say that there is no way I could have done it if I was still smoking. The bottom line is that as a smoker, my heart would pound like crazy after running only a few hundred yards. But with the return of full lung capacity, I could do crazy amounts of cardio and calisthenics.

If you want to lose fat, drop the cigarettes, really. It is soooo much better and easier without them. Don't be scared about putting on weight -- you will only put on fat if you fail to watch your diet. To this extent, I would recommend you go on the Atkins Induction phase for a month or so (it will totally regulate how much you eat).

justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) justanothagirl is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    yeah its a diet aid (hunger suppressing, i think its also thermogenic)

but i don't think it'd be worth it i mean there are healthier ways to lose fat than toxicating yourself

3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 3lixer. has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    smoking supresses the appetite & it also increases your metabolism (which isn't a good thing as increased heart rate from smoking leads to heart disease)

but it will also shrink your cappilaries which means you'll get less blood to your muscles when u do resistance training.

ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ozigal is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by dannyboy9
    Smoking uses up many of the body's critical vitamins..not to mention all the crap a cigarette has inside it. If I were to smoke, it would be a cigar of some sort or marijuana and when I was done with that, I would detox with the quickness

That's one of the most absurd things I've ever heard lol The excuses people will come up with just for a smoke. It's sad..
    justification for why they are smoking....
    "Success comes before work...only in the dictionary"

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=936089

http://www.forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=937460&highlight=ozigal

krisinboots has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Here's the thing...

Nicotine will increase your metabolism by burning approximately 300 additional calories a day. It also is used by many people as stress management, so it helps reduce the cortisol production in your body, which makes it easier to get rid of extra weight.

Many smokers have an oral fixation issue, so if they're not smoking a calorie-BURNING cigarette, they'll be munching on calorie-LADEN snacks which will surely lead to weight gain (because any kind of excess calories will cause weight gain).

If you're really serious about taking up smoking to aid in weight loss/management, then I'm sure you'll be successful. First the reasons I've outlined above will keep you slim, then if you get cancer, radiation really kills your appetite and sometimes people really wither away (including their muscles). So, honestly, is it worth it? I think it would be more beneficial to cut the 300 calories through diet than by polluting your body.

ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ss24xbhandyman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up re smoking

Originally Posted by smith79
    I must say, I am impressed at the maturity of this thread.

If you were to go to other boards, you could bet your bottom dollar that EVERY reply would be a big anti-smoking rant. It is refreshing to see people are actually addressing the question in a more informative way rather than knee-jerk abuse.

I was a pretty heavy smoker too. Easily put back a pack a day, probably nearer 30, and up to 50 on a Friday night. I thought I liked it -- something only a smoker/ex-smoker could understand -- but I eventually realised it did me no favours whatsoever. I read Allen Carr's book, and that put it all in perspective.

I also stopped cold turkey and haven't desired a smoke since. And I'm darn glad of it. That said, I'm not about to go holier-than-thou and start bashing smokers. I hate the persecution they suffer when, in reality, they are practicing a legal and centuries-old habit. The real people the criticism should be aimed at are the government and the tobacco corporations.

As for fat loss, I can certainly sympathise with how smoking keeps one in reasonable trim. Smoking did blunt my appetite an awful lot, and I'd often reach for a smoke instead of a snack. There is also the argument that smoking boosts the metabolism, but I can't vouch for that.

When I stopped smoking, I put on around 30 lbs of fat in three months. I found myself snacking like crazy (30 cigarettes a day is an awful lot of "idle time" to keep your hands and mouth occupied). I must admit that it made me hugely depressed.

But on the plus side, my energy came back in a major way. I bounced out of bed in the mornings and had full lung power; it was amazing to be able to run up the stairs without feeling out of breath. Then of course it was wonderful not to feel the "fear" any longer, having to replenish cigarettes on a daily basis.

I did finally get round to losing the weight again and getting in the best shape of my life, and I can honestly say that there is no way I could have done it if I was still smoking. The bottom line is that as a smoker, my heart would pound like crazy after running only a few hundred yards. But with the return of full lung capacity, I could do crazy amounts of cardio and calisthenics.

If you want to lose fat, drop the cigarettes, really. It is soooo much better and easier without them. Don't be scared about putting on weight -- you will only put on fat if you fail to watch your diet. To this extent, I would recommend you go on the Atkins Induction phase for a month or so (it will totally regulate how much you eat).

thanks for your input,i am trying to find out if smoking aids weight loss,i dont want to know about how bad smoking is,all these bodybuilders telling me smoking is bad when they are injecting2400 mg of gear aweek and snorting coke, taking wizz to train, dont care about all that, been there done it,just want to know if smoking aids weightloss.
    Thanks for your help guys

Smile re smoking

i want to know aboutsmoking...get alife bodybuilding is one of the most unhealthy sports there is diets drugs assult charges been there done that taking so much gear that you feel like king kong have no friends waste your life afraid to eat and drink cant go out because you just end up in a fight over nothingbut no one can tell you just keep jabbing your arse more gear more food what is wrong with bodybuilders including me steriods are bad....be leave me

Originally Posted by dannyboy9

i want to know aboutsmoking...get alife bodybuilding is one of the most unhealthy sports there is diets drugs assult charges been there done that taking so much gear that you feel like king kong have no friends waste your life afraid to eat and drink cant go out because you just end up in a fight over nothingbut no one can tell you just keep jabbing your arse more gear more food what is wrong with bodybuilders including me steriods are bad....be leave me
    What...? I know this is a forum and no one writes perfect but damn...I didn't understand one thing you said

NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) NightLordV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I currently still smoke about a pack a day maybe a little less. I am working out hardcore, lifting at least five times a week and doing cardio about six times a week.
    Despite the fact I smoke my energy, lung capacity, and desire to work out have not been hindered and in fact my lungs feel so much more better then they have in years.
    I tried to quit a couple weeks ago. I managed to go four days without a single smoke just quitting cold turkey. The problem was that my appetite spiked and I was feeling hungry. The only thing I think that has helped me stay focused on losing the weight I have so far has been the cigs. Now I know that isn't an excuse, but trying to lose weight AND quit at the same time is very difficult. You want to smoke but you can't, then you want to compensate that by eating and you can't go snacking because your trying to lose weight. Its very frustrating and I was in a bad state for those four days. Even though I took my anger and frustrations out through the weights it still didn't help completely.
    I intend on going for one goal at a time. Once I get to where I want to be body fat wise I intend on quitting then. I do not want to smoke anymore, but I realize I need to stay focused on one goal at a time.

smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10) smith79 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    thanks for your input,i am trying to find out if smoking aids weight loss,i dont want to know about how bad smoking is,all these bodybuilders telling me smoking is bad when they are injecting2400 mg of gear aweek and snorting coke, taking wizz to train, dont care about all that, been there done it,just want to know if smoking aids weightloss.
    Thanks for your help guys
    Woah woah woah! Don't misinterpret my post. I am in no way endorsing smoking. I'm just offering my experiences from a cold point of view. But if you want my OPINION as a former smoker, it is a resounding "NO, don't do it."

It simply is not worth it. Believe me.

For the majority of people, it will simply act as a leech on energy and fitness. You will find yourself panicking without cigarettes in your possession and you will fork our $8 or more for a packet every single day. Every cigarette you smoke is another way of battering your body's internal organs. As John Diamond said, you are playing Russian Roulette with the immune system.

Yes, some bodybuilders go too far, but you shouldn't use the minority's excesses as a qualification to go smoking. You have no idea what an impact smoking will have on your life...so don't go finding out.

Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10) Rippedtohell is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking

smoking will blunt hunger, but blunts will cause hunger.

Shhh, no tears now... clintster442's Avatar
    clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000) clintster442 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by 3lixer. View Post
    ...but it will also shrink your cappilaries which means you'll get less blood to your muscles when u do resistance training.
    3lixer is closest to the most important impact of smoking. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor meaning it will shrink your veins, and capilaries and reduce blood flow.

Fat is burned by mobilizing the free fatty acids in the fat cells from your fat @ss and gut to other parts of the body (liver, brain, muscles, etc...) to be consumed (burned). If you constrict the blood flow, you reduce the amount of free fatty acids that you can mobilize throughout the body and reduce overall fat loss.

This is especially evident in "problem areas" such as lower back and stomach areas on men and hips and thighs on women. The fat in these areas is high in alpha-2 adrenoreceptors which make it difficult to mobilize.

"Different areas of body fat have different distributions of alpha-2 and beta-2 adrenoreceptors and this profoundly affects how well or poorly fat can be mobilized and transported out of them.

The most extreme example of this is lower body fat (hips and thighs), which have been found to have roughly 9 times as many alpha-2 receptors as beta-2 receptors. Some research suggests that men’s abdominal fat has higher alpha-2 receptor density (relative to say, visceral fat) although it’s not as bad as lower body fat. While not studied, lower back fat is likely to also be relatively resistant to lipolytic stimuli due to a greater alpha-2 receptor number." - Lyle McDonald, BodyRecomposition.com

Bottom line, the temporary appetite suppression you can get from smoking can easily be replaced with caffeine making smoking entirely without benefit. While caffeine does have it's own side effects, brain cancer is not known to be one of them.

PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10) PirateFace is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If you do not choose to quit smoking on your own for the menagerie of health reasons, yet would consider doing so for some miniscule amount of additional fat loss, nothing we say is going to help you. Smoking messes you up a lot more than being fat does.
    negged for hating on pop tarts

gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000) gooseguy312 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 3lixer. View Post
    smoking supresses the appetite & it also increases your metabolism (which isn't a good thing as increased heart rate from smoking leads to heart disease)

but it will also shrink your cappilaries which means you'll get less blood to your muscles when u do resistance training.
    This, the bottom mentioned fact makes it very much not worth it. It restricts blood flow, and blood flow is important for the healing process in muscle building also.

Im very glad i quit

As for fat loss, i have no idea.

d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) d3lf is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by krisinboots View Post
    Nicotine will increase your metabolism by burning approximately 300 additional calories a day. It also is used by many people as stress management, so it helps reduce the cortisol production in your body, which makes it easier to get rid of extra weight.

Many smokers have an oral fixation issue, so if they're not smoking a calorie-BURNING cigarette, they'll be munching on calorie-LADEN snacks which will surely lead to weight gain (because any kind of excess calories will cause weight gain).

If you're really serious about taking up smoking to aid in weight loss/management, then I'm sure you'll be successful. First the reasons I've outlined above will keep you slim, then if you get cancer, radiation really kills your appetite and sometimes people really wither away (including their muscles). So, honestly, is it worth it? I think it would be more beneficial to cut the 300 calories through diet than by polluting your body.
    This.

/thread

Bubba6695 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think it does help you lose weight a little cause my aunt smokes and shes so skinny but the thing that scares me is she smokes like a pack and a half a day and thats just bad. i myself hate when people smoke near me and i absolutely hate when people smoke right at the door of like walmart and you just walk into a cloud of smoke.

fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000) fatinNYC is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ozigal View Post
    i know that nicotine suppresses your appetite and a lot of smokers tend to over-eat for a while if they quit as their body is not used to it and they regain their appetite. That being said the negatives outweigh the positives, everyone should know that.
    this --- if you don't know this then u fail.

www.bestmastersfitness.co jwshumate's Avatar
    jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10) jwshumate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by guy121 View Post
    Well I smoke 0-2 cigarettes a day and maximum of 10 when out drinking(not very often). These are camel lights so definitely not as harsh as reds. I told my doctor and he said that isn't even enough to kill me or really do much of anything to me. So I guess its all a matter of how much you smoke in general.

Though I have noticed it helps some people with fatloss. Some of my friends who smoke are fat and one drinks every night and smokes 1-2 packs of reds a day. He doesn't care, and I'm sure he's going to have some major problems later in life.
    You should get a new doctor.
    John Shumate
    www.bestmastersfitness.com

Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dajoran will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by guy121 View Post

"Doctor Riviera, Doctor Nick Riviera. Please report to the coroner immediately!"