Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000) the_fake_webmaster is a name known to all. (+5000)

WEEK NINETY-NINE :: What Effects Do Smoking And Drinking Have On Bodybuilders?

------------------------------------------------------------
    * Note: How can I win? 1. Answer all questions in the order that they are asked. 2. Go over reviews (located at the bottom of each TOTW article) and see what was said about those that did not win. Good Luck!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

TOPIC: What Effects Do Smoking And Drinking Have On Bodybuilders?

For the week of: October 25th - October 31st
    Tuesday @ Midnight Is The Final Cut (Mountain Time, US & Canada).

-------------------------------------------------------------

We all know numerous people who drink and/or smoke; believe it or not, some of the people we see in the gym on a daily basis are drinkers and/or smokers.

What effects do smoking and drinking have on bodybuilders?

How much of a difference in results could one achieve if they didn’t drink/smoke compared to one who does?

How can you convince someone to drop these bad habits?

-------------------------------------------------------------

* New Rule (beginning: June 1st, 2006): Any exercise not listed on our exercise listing (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm) must be accompanied by a full and complete description and pictures (or a link to the exercise(s) where pictures and description are given).

Thanks.

Don't discuss any other topic in this section. ONLY discuss the question above.

The best response will get $75 in credit to use in our online store! The other good responses will be used in an article on the main Bodybuilding.com site, with the poster's forum name listed by it. Become famous!

Thanks,
    Will
    Webmaster
    Bodybuilding.com
    twitter.com/i_am_the_goat

backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50) backer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I was a heavy smoker for years,gave it up with the help of the patch,6 weeks clean.I was amazed at how fast the lung and heart capacity returns.The magor reason I quit(I think and pray that I have for good)was the feeling I had when training.I would fail on a set but feel like there was more left in the muscle that I just could not get to.It became obvious to me that my body was unable to get enough oxegen to the muscle to complete an effective set.
    The food news is it took only about 3 weeks for dramatic improvment.I can go longer heavier,do more reps with higher intensity and my cardio is not even close.My relaxed heart rate has dropped from 72 to 56 in 6 weeks.I dont want to throw stones ,20 years at near 2 packs a day gives me no right to preach to anybody but if you are serious about your training and still smoke give it the best shot you have at stopping,I promise the results will be worth it.The 300 bucks a month buys alot of good food and sups too.If you want any encouragment or any help I can offer pm me,Ill be glad to go through it with you.
    If you think you can or think you cant, your right.

heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool my totw for week ninety-nine

WEEK NINETY-NINE:: What Effects Do Smoking And Drinking Have On Bodybuilders?

Effects of smoking and drinking are dangerous to everyone. Not just bodybuilders, but smoking and drinking does not help a bodybuilder improve their inside or out. The habits both have severe and very dangerous consequences. Bodybuilding is about improving your body, improving how you want to look, and feeling confident and great about yourself. Smoking and drinking will just take you longer to reach your goals or worse, you may not even be able to reach your goals.

Harmful Effects Of Smoking

Tobacco contains more than 4,000 different chemicals that react with your body in several ways. The most harmful of the chemicals are nicotine, carbon monoxide, and tar.

Effects Of Nicotine
    Nicotine is a drug. People don’t realize that it is that harmful but it is. It is addictive like many drugs and gets absorbed into the bloodstream. Seven to eight seconds later the brain can feel the reaction. It has been noticed that nicotine may sometimes alter a person’s personality depending on how long they have been smoking , the amount of puffs inhaled, and how deeply they were inhaled.

Dangerous Side affects:
    Increase in heart rate
    Increase in hormone production
    Increase in blood pressure
    Constriction of small blood vessels on skin
    Changes in blood composition
    Changes in metabolism

Effects Of Carbon Monoxide
    Carbon monoxide is a poisonous gas. Up to 15% of a smoker’s blood is carbon monoxide being carried to different parts on the body instead of oxygen. Oxygen is needed especially for body tissues and cells to work properly. When the supply of oxygen is reduced for a very long period of time it causes problems in growth , repair, and absorption of important nutrients such as protein. We all know that growth , repair, and absorption is something every bodybuilder needs. Carbon monoxide is dangerous because it affects the “electrical” activity in the heart. Carbon monoxide also combines with other changes in the blood associated with smoking and diet ( may encourage fatty deposits to form on the walls of the arteries in the heart. This drug leads to heart problems and disease, arteries being blocked, and dangerous circulation problems. Female’s who smoke have the risks of effects I have listed above but also the risk of putting the fetus in danger . It can cause the reduction of oxygen being carried to the fetus.

Effects of tar
    When inhaled 70% of the tar in every cigarette smoked is deposited in the lungs. Tar damages the lungs causing the biocides to narrow, coughing, and increase in bronchiole mucus, and damage to small hairs which protect lungs from diet and infection.

Risks Of Smoking:
    Premature aging
    83% of lung patients were smoker related
    90% of bronchitis and emphysema patience were smoker related
    17% of coronary heart disease (CHD) were smoker related
    Smokers have a greater risk of illness and premature death compared to nonsmokers
    Smoking doubles the risk of CHD

Smoking Related Diseases:
    Coronary heart disease
    Effects on fertility
    Tobacco amblyopic (defected vision)
    Atherosclerosis (build up of fatty deposits and loss of elasticity in artery walls
    Gangrene
    Cancer (lung, mouth, throat, nose, larynx, eso****us, pancreas, bladder, stomach, leukemia, lymphoid, kidney)
    Recurrent infections in airway
    Damage and loss of efficiency in lungs
    Chronic bronchitis and emphysema
    Peptic ulcers

Female Bodybuilders and Smoking
    Lung cancer has been expected to overtake breast cancer as the leading cancer in women. Men and women bodybuilders have the same risks of developing CHD, lung cancer, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and other smoking related diseases.

Female bodybuilders have a higher risk of:
    Abortion and other serious problems during pregnancy
    Low birth weight babies
    Menopause developing two to four years early
    heart attacks and strokes
    Increase risk of osteoporosis (which is horrible for a bodybuilder)

Passive Smoking
    If you don’t smoke you are not out of harms way yet. Passive smoking is breathing in another persons cigarette smoke off the end of the cigarette. It is just as dangerous as inhaling from the cigarette. It can cause bodybuilders to have irritation to the eyes, nose, throat, increase acute respiratory illness, headaches, dizziness, sickness, coughing, wheezing, asthma, allergies, increased risk of CHD, and reduced levels of capacity of lung functions.

Benefits For Quitting:
    Breathing improves
    Improved ability to cope with sudden exertion
    Loss of smokers cough and reduction of phlegm
    Sense of taste and smell improves
    Natural decline in lung efficiency slows down to a rate similar to nonsmokers
    Reduced risk of smoke related diseases

Introduction To Alcohol
    Like smoking, alcohol is a very risky and dangerous habit. When I say alcohol I am talking about beer, wine, and liquor. Alcohol is a depressent which means it depresses the central nervous system. However it is now a stimulant. Alcohol acts a different way on everyone. The younger you are when you start, the harder it is to quit.

Effects Of Alcohol On The:
    Bloodstream- Blood vessels widen when alcohol enters the bloodstream. This causes a greater amount of blood to blow to the skin. When a person drinks I causes their body temperature to drop as blood flow increases. The blood flows to the surface and allows their body heat to escape more than usually. People think drinking alcohol in winter makes them warmer but in fact it just makes them colder.

Brain- When alcohol reaches the brain it immediately reacts as a depressant. Their brain causes them to lose sensation and a decrease in vision, hearing, and almost every sense when alcohol is consumed. The brain controls muscle coordination which is what makes people walk straight. This is why people fall and stumble when they are intoxicated. Their breathing and heart beat decrease which is controlled by the brain.

Liver- The liver is supposed to breakdown alcohol into energy. The waste will result in carbon dioxide and water. People then become intoxicated when they drink more alcohol than they can breakdown.

Kidneys- Alcohol keeps the body from releasing body chemicals. When drinking alcohol the body produces more urine than usual. Which will possibly make a bodybuilder become dehydrated. The drinker loses more water than usual which results in dehydration. After drinking people become more thirsty. In severe cases the body will not work properly on count of dehydration.

Muscles- Alcohol reduces blood flow to muscles. This includes the heart. Alcohol causes muscle weakness and deterioration. Now what bodybuilder wants that? Bodybuilders need a good heart and alcohol causes a sluggish heart.

Results Of Intoxication:
    Hangovers
    Sleep disturbance
    Irritability, anxiety, and restlessness
    Tremors
    Physical weakness, rapid heart rate
    Mental sluggishness
    Difficulty thinking clearly
    Decreased flexibility

Nutrition
    Alcohol is not digested like other foods, but however has a great amount of calories. Alcohol is very high in calories and low in nutrition. Every bodybuilder needs their nutrition. Empty calories are not going to help a bodybuilder any so why even drink alcohol? Basically you can not put alcohol to good use. Most bodybuilders avoid alcohol and they should.

Alcohol Facts

The way alcohol affects you depends on:
    The time when it was consumed
    How much was consumed
    If you had any food on your stomach
    Your bodyweight
    It takes ½ an hour to feel affects of alcohol
    Alcohol poisoning happens when you drink to much to fast, can lead to a comma or death
    Binge drinking can lead to brain damage; comma and then death
    Only time can make you sober
    It takes 1 hour for each drink of alcohol to be used by your body

Alcohol can cause:
    Repertory failure
    Comma
    Death
    Impaired judgment
    Accidents
    Lose of inhibitions
    Aggression
    Destruction
    Weight loss
    Malnutrition
    Nerve damage
    Heart damage
    Poor memory
    Fatigue
    Cancer

Whether you smoke or you drink it is a bad habit. If you are a bodybuilder then these habits may stop you from reaching your full potential. Smoking makes it harder to breath and that may end up being a problem during cutting season or if your just trying to maintain a healthy heart. Alcohol on the other hand is just as bad. A bodybuilder want get the proper nutrition they need to grow as big and as strong as they want. Most bodybuilders dreams are to compete and with these two components working against you may find it hard to actually make your dreams come true. Compare a bodybuilder who smokes and drinks with another bodybuilder who does neither. The bodybuilder that does not drink or smoke will have a more masculine but very lean body. Which is what is needed to compete and win. Look at it this way, if you don’t smoke or drink you you might not win a completion but you will add a few more years to your life than someone who does do these bad habits.

It would be hard to convince some one to quit their awful habits. I would do my best to help convince them and then support what they are doing. Showing them what might happen to them might help with the process. Maybe it would scare them out of their habit if what they seen was bad enough. Really I don’t think you can convince anyone of quitting something they love. They have to have the will power to do it their self. If the don’t believe in their self then they will not succeed. Bodybuilders could have twice the success if the quit their awful habits. This should not just be a topic of the week but a topic on a lifetime and a goal to stay healthy.

HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50) HerveDuchemin will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Totw

Effects of Smoking and Drinking on Bodybuilders

Smoking and drinking have various effects on the body, causing individuals to want to quit, due to the detrimental effects of these two habits on exercise and overall well being. Unfortunately, numerous metabolic problems arise when a long time smoker or drinker decides to quit the habit. In regular male drinkers, lowering the alcohol intake caused a decrease in HDL-cholesterol and systolic blood pressure, whereas decreasing cigarette smoking in men who smoked on a regular basis was associated with significant increases in insulin, glucose, triglycerides, waist and BMI. In regular women smokers, HDL-cholesterol, waist circumference and BMI increased upon quitting. From this research, it is obvious that it is much better off to not start smoking at all, due to the fact that the metabolic advantages offered upon quitting may lead to various psychological and hormonal issues when one has to adjust to the metabolic disadvantages that arise upon cessation of smoking or drinking after prolonged periods of regular use. Diet can influence the ability of nicotine to modulate body weight regulation and demonstrate that chronic nicotine exposure results in adaptive changes in central and peripheral molecules which regulate feeding behavior and energy metabolism.
    This applies to bodybuilders looking to put on or hold onto muscle mass. Nicotine is known to decrease body weight in human smokers, whereas nicotine withdrawal or smoking cessation can increase body weight. Nicotine withdrawal is accompanied by increased expression of the orexigenic peptides neuropeptide Y and Agouti-related protein in the hypothalamus, and decreased expression of the metabolic protein uncoupling protein-3 in brown adipose tissue. Neuropeptide Y (NPY) is the most abundant neuropeptide in the brain, and is known to be an extremely potent stimulator of feeding behavior. Feeding behavior in rodents is blocked by injection of antibodies or antisense RNAs against NPY. More importantly, leptin appears to act, at least in part, by inhibiting NPY synthesis and release in the hypothalamus.
    Agouti-Related Protein (AGRP) is an integral component in the metabolic processes that regulate feeding behavior and body weight. Present in the hypothalamus, AGRP levels are elevated in obese males (Katsuki et al, 2001). Phoenix Pharmaceuticals, Inc., in collaboration with UC San Francisco and UC Berkeley, has not only identified and synthesized several AGRP fragments that are as potent inhibitors of MC3-R and MC4-R as the parent molecule, but also the intact protein, AGRP Form C (Jimenez et al, 1999). From this, it can be concluded that for a bodybuilder looking to hold onto muscle mass, or get lean, there is some difficulty getting involved with smoking in the first place.
    For extreme cases, a smoking cessation clinic might be the only way to go. A study was performed in France to assess the effectiveness at 1 year of a hospital clinic providing individual management of persons seeking to stop smoking and the factors predictive of failure. This prospective descriptive study included smokers seeking assistance at this hospital clinic over a 1-year period. This analysis excludes persons with schizophrenia and those who came only to a first consultation. Treatment methods were those recommended by the 1998 consensus conference:
    1) Nicotine substitutes or slow-release bupropion, depending on the level of nicotine dependence.
    2) Cognitive-behavioral therapy appropriate for smoking in all cases, and the prescription before cessation of a selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (SSRI) for patients with anxiety or depressive disorders.
    The study confirmed the usefulness of specialized medical support over a one-year period and highlighted the difficulties of smoking cessation for women, who appear to need a new not yet invented approach. The other standard factors predictive of failure were not observed, possibly because of either the broad prescription of SSRIs in cases of anxiety- or depression-related comorbidity or the statistical limitations associated with the population size.
    Obviously, there would be much more positive progress from a bodybuilder who didn’t drink or smoke, but from the research seen, it is evident that with prolonged use, the effects on bodybuilding results due to changes in metabolism, appetite, and hormonal values upon cessation, might make it even more difficult to quit the habit.
    The following suggestions were offered (see http://www.coolnurse.com/smoking_quit.htm) to help smokers looking to quit the habit.

1) Pick a date to stop, if you can’t stop today. Choose one two to four weeks from now so you can get ready to quit. If possible, choose a time when things in your life will change, like when you?re about to start a break from school. Or just pick a time when you don’t expect any extra stress at school, work or home. Of course life is very unpredictable so you just can't wait for there to be NO stress in your life. Wouldn't that be easy.
    2) Make a list of the reasons why you want to quit. Keep that list available so you can look at it when you have a nicotine craving. Make a list of what you like about smoking also.
    3) Keep a record of where, when and why you smoke. You may want to make notes for a week or so to know ahead of time when and why you will crave a cigarette. Plan what you?ll do instead of smoking (see list above for ideas). You may also want to plan what you?ll say to people who pressure you to smoke.
    4) Throw or give away all of your tobacco. Clean out your room if you have smoked there. Throw or give away your ashtrays and lighters, just get them out of your house and or room.
    5) Tell your friends that you’re quitting. Ask them not to pressure you about smoking. Find other things to do with them besides smoking. If you have to avoid being around people who smoke, do that for a while. But do let friends know why you are avoiding them. You’re doing this for YOU, not them.
    6) When your stop date arrives, STOP. Plan little rewards for yourself for each tobacco-free day, week or month. Buy yourself a new top, get some new chewing gum, ask a friend to see a movie. Take a friend to get your favorite dessert or decaf...whatever.

Overall however, as with everything else, the addiction begins in one’s own mind. Food, alcohol, cigarettes and various drugs all leave a mental imprint on one’s brain, and it is up to the individual to control his or her habits in a positive way in order to achieve whatever goals they set for themselves. The life of a bodybuilder is one where extreme control must be exercised on one’s desires, if adequate progress is to be made. As bodybuilders, we have to be very careful what we choose to put into our own bodies, and with that comes first being careful with what we choose to place into our minds. Aside from the obvious conditions that arise from smoking and drinking (bad breath, cancer, lowered testosterone, increased caloric intake from alcohol and accompanying poor eating habits when drunk), this article attempted to delve into the more elusive, underlying problems that a regular smoker or drinker would face, while smoking, and upon choosing to quit the habit.

REFERENCES
    1)Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2006 Jun;13(3):334-40.
    2)Neuroscience Letter. 2006 Oct 17.

3) http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks...eight/npy.html
    4)http://www.phoenixpeptide.com/allobe...on/AGRPNEW.htm
    5) De La Blanchardiere A, Depieds D, Gueyffier F. Service des maladies infectieuses, CHU Cote de Nacre, Caen (14).
    You are born with a spark; to search for the truth, for the best you can be. Practice. Disipline. Preparation. Try and try again. Then one day you are on top and they say you are an overnight success, a natural. You smile, you know. - Anonymous

Burning desire to get out of bed in the morning!!

Even the BEST were taught by someone who knows more than them!

RUTHLESS AFFECTION!!!! no_strain_no_ga's Avatar
    no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000)

Totw 99!

Smoking and Drinking= Bad Idea!

This not a matter about bodybuilding or weightlifting, but over all health. Harvard Researches concluded in 2003 that Smoking causes 5 million deaths world-wide. With 100,000+ deaths occuring each year due to alcohol or alcohol related crashes. This is a serious issue that is increasing year by year. People are getting Lung Cancer, weight gain, bone loss, liver disease, and other serious affects to your body and others aswell. It isn't worth wasting away your life over smoking or drinking. Think about the smart thing to do and stop.

Smoking

Ingredients:

-acetaldehyde= Also know as ethanol. Also found in car fumes and alcohol. Affects the liver and is the main cause of hangovers. It is very toxic.

-ammonia= Is a toxin. Affects the kidney. Also found in explosives and fertilizers.

-acrolein=Severe irritant. Used during WW1 as a chemical weapon. Causes serious skin damage if exposed.

-carbon monoxide= Found in the atmosphere. Affects the lung. Is a toxic gas.

-formaldehyde= Found in plywood, automoble exhaust, and forest fires. Is lethal and causes coma's and blood acidity. Also a cause for certain types of cancers.

-hydrogen cyanide= Is a poison. Used in dye and explsoives. Used during WW2 and the Iraq/ Iran war as a chemcial weapon.

-hydrogen sulfide= Is a toxin and a poison. Low concentrates of it gives you headaches and sickness. Higher levels could mean death.

-methyl chloride= Is very toxic. High levels of it can cause you to have seizures or go into a coma. Little, but not rare, will it be fatal.

-nitrogen dioxide= is a gas and a poison. It can be fatal.

AFFECTS THIS HAS ON BODYBUILDING

Smoking is a main source of lung cancer. Many toxins in cigarettes are to blame. The lung is widely used during weightlifting, because you use the oxygen as a energy source and don't get easily tired out. Also, Bone loss is another affect of smoking. And if you loss bone marrow, then you will have a higher chance of injuries during weightlifting.

More later.....
    I Rep Back!

Owe:

Recharge:
    jbodybuilder, nickrut

Owe Me:

Negs:
    Lecter(4 lyfe)

no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000) no_strain_no_ga is just really nice. (+1000)
    Drinking and Smoking= Bad Idea!

This not a matter about bodybuilding or weightlifting, but over all health. Harvard Researches concluded in 2003 that Smoking causes 5 million deaths world-wide. With 100,000+ deaths occuring each year due to alcohol or alcohol related crashes. This is a serious issue that is increasing year by year. People are getting Lung Cancer, weight gain, bone loss, liver disease, and other serious affects to your body and others aswell. It isn't worth wasting away your life over smoking or drinking. Think about the smart thing to do and stop.

Smoking

Ingredients:

-acetaldehyde= Also know as ethanol. Also found in car fumes and alcohol. Affects the liver and is the main cause of hangovers. It is very toxic.

-ammonia= Is a toxin. Affects the kidney. Also found in explosives and fertilizers.

-acrolein=Severe irritant. Used during WW1 as a chemical weapon. Causes serious skin damage if exposed.

-carbon monoxide= Found in the atmosphere. Affects the lung. Is a toxic gas.

-formaldehyde= Found in plywood, automoble exhaust, and forest fires. Is lethal and causes coma's and blood acidity. Also a cause for certain types of cancers.

-hydrogen cyanide= Is a poison. Used in dye and explsoives. Used during WW2 and the Iraq/ Iran war as a chemcial weapon.

-hydrogen sulfide= Is a toxin and a poison. Low concentrates of it gives you headaches and sickness. Higher levels could mean death.

-methyl chloride= Is very toxic. High levels of it can cause you to have seizures or go into a coma. Little, but not rare, will it be fatal.

-nitrogen dioxide= is a gas and a poison. It can be fatal.

AFFECTS THIS HAS ON BODYBUILDING

Smoking is a main source of lung cancer. Many toxins in cigarettes are to blame. The lung is widely used during weightlifting, because you use the oxygen as a energy source and don't get easily tired out. So the tar that is clogging up your lungs will make you easily tired and light headed when lifting since you are not getting enough oxygen. Also, Bone loss is another affect of smoking. And if you loss bone marrow, then you will have a higher chance of injuries during weightlifting.

Ways to Stop

1. Throw all your cigarettes away! Getting rid of them faster will make you less likely wanting them back.
    2. Get others to take part. Get family and friends in it to help you stop. Tell them if they see you geyying a cigarette or smaoking one to take it away and destroy it.
    3. Join a addiction group. Getting others to know your problem and getting help will be a good starting point to stop smoking.
    4. Believe in yourself. Tell yourself all the affects that smoking can do to you. Show pictures of what can happen. Self tolerance is the key

If you don't smoke, that doesn't mean you can't feel the same affects. 2 hand smoke is a dangerous as smoking a cigarette. Although you are not consuming the same toxins as the smoker, many gases and posions can enter you and give you diseases or cause death. Try to stay away from smokers and smoking areas. It's all up to you and how to live a smart and healthy life.

Drinking

Affects:

-Brain Damage
    -Weakens the Immune System
    -Liver Disease
    -Aging
    -Cancer (Mouth, Breast, Intestines, Stomach, and Eso****us)
    -Decrease in Testosterone Levels
    -High Blood Pressure
    -Diabetes
    -Kidney and Heart Disease
    -Strokes
    -Muscle Deterioration
    -Death

The main issue you see up there is decrease in testosterone. Testosterone is a main factor on the energy and strength you have in you. The lower the testosterone levels, the weaker you feel and less performance. Also, if you have heart disease, that might mean less blood flowing throughout your body and less oxygen circulates through your body, making you more tired. Also, drinking will give you the "beer beely" affect since the stomach cancer and immune system will make it harder to digest everything faster.

Drinking is not always bad, but you must watch what you drink and how much you drink. If you think you have a problem or someone you know has a problem, get help. The longer it goes on, the harder it takes to realize they must stop. And if no one stops them, something seriousally bad can happen to them or someone else. Be smart about your decisions.

Change in Results

If you don't drink or smoke, you will ahve a better and easier time working out. You will not be overly tired and feel weak and will look bloated. You will not break any bones and will not pass out to heavy lifting. You'll be more alive and be recieving more oxygen to you lungs, not making you tired to workout more. Also, you'll gain more strength and more mass since you will not be lossing muscle to alcohol. All this benefits any athlete that uses their energy to their advantage. If you do not drink or smoke, the better chance you have on building strength and mass faster. And if you do cardio, more blood can circulate throught the body without being blocked or less productive from the heart. If you see someone that is bigger than you and smokes or drinks, don't be discourage, you have a better chance on living a londer healthier life that guy. Also, you will feel better emotional since you don't have to worry about you having a disease because of smoking or you killed someone in a car crash because you were drunk. You'll be less stressed and be able to worry aboyt lifting than anything else going on.

What Can I Do To Help?

Helping the victim know that he/she has a problem is the first thing to do. Tell them how smoking or drinking has changed them. Give examples, even harsh ones, to show what they have done to theirself and others. Be rough with them, don't be scared to yell at them. Second, bloclk them from their bad habit. Take away all the beer that is in the house or crush the cigarettes. Keep on doing this until it looks like they have given up. Get some group help. Addiction groups are the best. You can find people that have gone through the same thing and encourage them to stop when they see someone else has. At the end, get them to tell you that they have discovered their problem. See if they know who they hurt and what they can do to help it. Keep on doing this until it looks like they have broken the habit completely. If they still ahve not learned, try even harder. Put them in the class longer. Nothing is impossibel and then certainly cannot change that fact!

-Mike Kramer

P.S. Sorry that I posted this twice. It would not let me edit. Said something about after 1440 minutes I am not allowed or something like that
    I Rep Back!

Owe:

Recharge:
    jbodybuilder, nickrut

Owe Me:

Negs:
    Lecter(4 lyfe)

heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heather121212 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    who won this totw?

colinphenom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) colinphenom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) colinphenom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) colinphenom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) colinphenom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) colinphenom has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    A winner won't be chosen for 2 weeks or so...
    We all have great inner power. The power is self-faith. There's really an attitude to winning. You have to see yourself winning before you win. And you have to be hungry. You have to want to conquer.

-Arnold

Cindy2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm a former smoker and can actually said that even when I smoked only half a package a day, which is considered low in relation to most of the smokers I know I couldn't continue smoking when I started the bodybuilding as could feel the contradiction in my body and felt that the smoking interfered with the effort I've been making.
    even brought some of the information posted here to the stop smoking site hoping that it would help others to finally stop smoking
    http://www.thestopsmokingclub.com/bo...enough-24.html

FieroMan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well nicotine is an appetite suppressant and smoking will damage your lungs so you won't be able to breathe as well if you are doing cardio. Alcohol will lower your testosterone and increase the amount of estrogen in your system not to mention the amount of empty calories alcoholic drinks have in them.

Doscellular has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I smoked lucky strikes for about 2 years, thank god I gave that **** up. Feeling better, looking better, hopefully I didn't screw myself up too badly.

gordwick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am not a medical expert but I can tell for certain that smoking and drinking should be out of question for bodybuilders. The most important reason is that they need to be extra careful with their organism in order to get best results. If smoking and drinking in their daily habits why even bother with bodybuilding? Right now my brother serves his time in alcohol rehab, this is a strong hit for him because there is a high risk for loosing his career.

phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) phoenix2014 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    drinking is bad? why do the french live between 8-12 years longer than americans? because they drink atleast 2 glasses of wine a day.

end of topic concerning alcohol.

Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50) Dumbbells will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by phoenix2014 View Post
    drinking is bad? why do the french live between 8-12 years longer than americans? because they drink atleast 2 glasses of wine a day.

Oh yeah. I'm SURE that it must be the wine. It couldn't possibly be any of the other countless variables. You know, shorter workweek, a diet not composed of 100% crap, plus less incorrect statistics.

On average they only live 2.73 years longer.
    https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...elds/2102.html

Now, don't get me wrong; I think there are many benefits to a glass of red wine before bed, but it is not the end all cure to everything.

End of topic concerning alcohol

Hey webmaster bro. I forgot about this thread and was banned I think the exact same day I posted my article in here. Any way I can claim my prize or is the fact I'm asking 8 months later too late. I'd never uses the prize and this thread went under the radar until today and saw I got second.

Thanks bro
    I Rep Back!

Owe:

Recharge:
    jbodybuilder, nickrut

Owe Me:

Negs:
    Lecter(4 lyfe)

justinhunt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    smoking a couple cigarettes at the end of the day with a couple puffs of weed isnt doing me any harm in terms of lung capacity or mass building. my chances of getting cancer may be getting worse and worse but oh well. i need to escape reality somehow once in a while or else ill go crazy. alcohol, even in the smallest amounts has so much more of a detrimental effect on bodybuilding that i choose a little weed and a couple smokes at the end of a day to wind down.

curious if anybody else does something similar to this?

Registered User tastslikechickn's Avatar
    tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tastslikechickn has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    weed?

904Life has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by justinhunt View Post
    smoking a couple cigarettes at the end of the day with a couple puffs of weed isnt doing me any harm in terms of lung capacity or mass building. my chances of getting cancer may be getting worse and worse but oh well. i need to escape reality somehow once in a while or else ill go crazy. alcohol, even in the smallest amounts has so much more of a detrimental effect on bodybuilding that i choose a little weed and a couple smokes at the end of a day to wind down.

curious if anybody else does something similar to this?
    uhh no
    whylin'

Registered User lightningwatche's Avatar
    lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50) lightningwatche will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Drinking alcohol at night can interfer with sleep paterns and growth hormone production. That is the biggest downside to mild drinking. But if you just have a beer or two with your pizza while watching football once or twice a week, you might actually be OK.

Your body can't turn alcohol into anything useful, I think. It will probably go straight to fat. So don't drink too much. It is not like eating oatmeal.

iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) iLiRaM is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have a friend that is an alcoholic and smokes quite often, yet he has eighteen inch biceps.
    squeeze your glutes and press

is here to fuk sh!t up! steeperdolphin's Avatar
    steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) steeperdolphin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I only smoke when I drink. I should really stop.
    Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.

I am black.

6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) 6Zeros has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by iLiRaM View Post
    I have a friend that is an alcoholic and smokes quite often, yet he has eighteen inch biceps.
    I too have friends the same. Fitness depends on many factors

tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50) tyealia will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    5 Reasons Why Alcohol Will Destroy Your Muscle Gains

1) It negatively affects protein synthesis.

Protein synthesis is the process where amino acids are joined together to form complete proteins. Excessive alcohol consumption slows this process down by up to 20%, and since your muscles are made up of protein, you can see how this is a problem.

2) It lowers testosterone levels and increases estrogen.

Testosterone is the most important muscle-building hormone in your body. One of the limiting factors that determines how much muscle a person can gain is their level of free-flowing testosterone.

3) It causes dehydration.

The kidneys must filter very large amounts of water in order to break down the alcohol, and this can result in severe dehydration within the body. Water plays an absolutely crucial role in the muscle-building process, and being even slightly dehydrated is a recipe for disaster. The muscles alone are comprised of 70% water.

4) It depletes the body of vitamins and minerals.

Alcohol consumption causes vitamins A, C, the B's, calcium, zinc and phosphorus to all be drained at rapid rates. Vitamins and minerals keep every little process in your body functioning properly, and many of these processes involve muscle growth and maintenance.

5) It increases fat storage.

With 7 empty calories per gram, alcohol can actually be quite fattening. Alcohol also disrupts the Kreb's Cycle, which plays an important role in fat burning.
    "I hated every minute of training, but I said, don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life a champion." - Muhammad Ali, Boxer

Theoculese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Theoculese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Theoculese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Theoculese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Theoculese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Theoculese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Theoculese has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by phoenix2014 View Post

U do realize in moderation say a glass of wine at dinner is good for the heart. On top of that Americans primary health concern usually involves the heart via obesity ,closed alveoli , cholesterol ... The list is quite long. Source. Google anything relative

Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Get-n-fit has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Theoculese View Post
    U do realize in moderation say a glass of wine at dinner is good for the heart. On top of that Americans primary health concern usually involves the heart via obesity ,closed alveoli , cholesterol ... The list is quite long. Source. Google anything relative
    Strong bump, you do realize your responding to a 5 year old post, lol.
    Lift light until you can lift right

BW 220: S:650 B:435 D:615 IG: tourostrengthtraining

EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10) EYZE is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Not sure about drinking. I know smoking causes shortness of breath, reduces recovery time, and negatively effects blood circulation.

futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) futurebody90 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Smoking. I believe limits your reps in each set due to less endurance. you can see more results without smoking from putting in a better exercise performance. and if your drinking to much beers. a lot of the beer calories can go right to your stomach. giving you that beer belly look lol

Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000) Technic is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've been smoking off and on for about 4 years and I noticed that the effects depend on the type of cigarettes you smoke and how often you smoke. I've been smoking hand rolled Dutch shag tocacco (Drum, Samson, etc.) for the last several months and the effect is much different than smoking a pack of Newports. Their aren't any chemicals added to shag tabacco and therefore it's much less additive and healthier for you.

pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pipqpi has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have smoked for 21 years. I can still run 7 minute miles for a hour. Smoking does hinder weight gain.

tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tmiddled has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, I know this thread is super old, but I read an interesting article yesterday and I stumbled on this thread today, hence I thought it worthwhile to post. I started my research on wiki (sorry can't post links yet) and then went to the journals.

A 2010 study confirmed (i.e. one study of many drawing the same conclusion) the beneficial effect of moderate alcohol consumption on mortality(Holahan, CJ. at el Nov 2010). The order of mortality rates from lowest to highest were moderate, light, heavy, and abstainers (i.e. in laymans terms, non-drinkers die first, moderate drinks live the longest. Low and heavy drinkers fall in between). Specifically, the increased risk for abstainers was twice the mortality rate as for moderate drinkers.

Moderate drinking is usually classified as around 14 units/week for men, and 9 for women.

I know there are many many negative effects of alcohol (just look up the long term effects of binge drinking, effects on muscle growth). But there are also extremely positive effects which weren't posted on this thread. Those who don't believe should read the peer reviewed research which is almost unanimous on moderate alcohol consumption for overall health, especially in later life.