OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Glycemic Index confusion..

I have read that Maltodextrin is considered a 'Complex' carb and Dextrose is a 'Simple' carb. This is what I have known (or what I think I've known) for quite some time. Yet, I have recently read that Maltodextrin and Dextrose are both 100's on the Glycemic Index.

How could one be considered a complex and one a simple carb while both have the same Glycemic Index of 100?

I tend to respond better using Maltodextrin containing products during and after my workouts. Dextrose gives me an overly bloated feeling and ends up bringing my energy levels down. This is why I believed that Maltodextrin is a better sustained release carb.

What's the deal? Please help me out.

Apothes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Maltodextrin is a class of glucose polymers characterized by medium length, simple chains of molecules. When the chains get to be only a few glucose molecules long, the carbos are classed as sugars. When the chains get very long, they are classed as starches.
    "I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
    without ever having felt sorry for itself." D H Lawrence.

"What you want pecks or bitch tits..gimme 5 more!"

shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100)
    I don't know where you read that malto is 100. Malto is 130 on the GI. It has a longer, higher insulin spike. So yes, more sustained release, but more insulin sensitivity. It depends on what you're looking for.

David

OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) OnMyWay has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Basically, I want not as fast a response as Dextrose but still get the benefits for post workout recovery. I used to like the Twinlab Power Fuel and Carbo Fuel. They contained high amounts of Maltodextrin. Both these products are no longer available.

I saw the GI 100 for Maltodextrin on Protein Factory's website - http://www.**************.com/carbs.htm.

Is Maltodextrin truly considered a 'Complex' carb? Is it ok to use for basic meal replacement shakes other than post workout or would it affect blood glucose levels in an adverse manner?

Does a high GI necessarily mean that a carb is simple?

Kow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    OnMyWay, you're on the right track with the last comment you made. As you've probably seen now, GI isn't what makes a carb simple or complex. Most higher GI carbs ARE simple, and most lower GI carbs are complex I believe, but one doesn't necessarily define the other. I think another example of this is milk sugar; I may be wrong, but I think milk sugar's a simple carb...but it doesn't have a very high GI.

Apothes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    gi has nothing to do with simple/complex. its the lenght of the molecule or chain of molecules that determines that. short chains, are simple, long chains are complex. gi is totaly irrelveant to this.
    "I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
    without ever having felt sorry for itself." D H Lawrence.

"What you want pecks or bitch tits..gimme 5 more!"

Tony1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you order from the protein factory why not use a 50/50 combo of maltodextrin and dextrose. Ive been happy with this combo myself.

AreYouSure has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by shpongled
    I don't know where you read that malto is 100. Malto is 130 on the GI. It has a longer, higher insulin spike. So yes, more sustained release, but more insulin sensitivity. It depends on what you're looking for.

David

Some folks base GI on a glucose standard -- in which case dextrose (aka glucose) and malto would obviously be 100 -- some folks base it on a white bread standard in which case it is 130. Needless to say, it is important to figure what standard is being used when one quote GI values. Malto and dextrose have virtually identical glycemic index and insulin index values. The only difference (and it is very slight) is the actual time after ingestion that the glucose/insulin spikes will occur, not the magnitude or AUC.
    Last edited by AreYouSure; 01-31-2003 at 12:46 PM.