TXjeepTJ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

whey protein before or after

as of right now i take why protein 1 hour before i work out, immediately after i work out i take a regular protein shake

i just saw in a magazine that someone said something about how they take whey after to gain mass

am i doing it wrong?
    186lbs- September 2006
    220lbs- July 2011 lol

Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by TXjeepTJ
    as of right now i take why protein 1 hour before i work out, immediately after i work out i take a regular protein shake

i just saw in a magazine that someone said something about how they take whey after to gain mass

am i doing it wrong?
    What is the difference between your whey protein and your regular protein shake? I always take 2 scoops of optimum 100% whey protein after workout. Its best to take some sort of whey protein asap after your workout since it is a quickly digesting protein.

Originally Posted by Sick96stang
    What is the difference between your whey protein and your regular protein shake? I always take 2 scoops of optimum 100% whey protein after workout. Its best to take some sort of whey protein asap after your workout since it is a quickly digesting protein.

i use 100% gold standard whey before and after i take micell edge protein powder which is a slow 7hour burning protein

a guy at the shop said that you want whey before because it burn quick, and use the slow burnign protein after because your muscle are recovering
    186lbs- September 2006
    220lbs- July 2011 lol

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    You want whey, immediately post workout, along with carbs.

Then 1-1.5hrs later, you want a whole meal.

Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Sick96stang is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i use 100% gold standard whey before and after i take micell edge protein powder which is a slow 7hour burning protein

a guy at the shop said that you want whey before because it burn quick, and use the slow burnign protein after because your muscle are recovering
    IMO taking a whey protein an hour before and asap after is the way to go. Do you mix your whey with milk or water? I always mix my gold standard 100% shake with milk after workouts since milk is a casein protein which is slowly digesting so you get a bit of the best of both worlds.

Maybe somebody else can come on and shed a bit more light but IMO taking a whey protein directly after you workout is the best way to go. After your workout your muscles are in dire need of protein and you want to get it to them as quick as possible, thats why I take a whey protein right after I workout. If you take a slowly digesting protein right after your workout, your muscles arent getting that needed protein right away. I would suggest taking your micell edge protein right before you go to bed since while you sleep you are not taking in any protein and that is a slow burning protein.

IMO taking a whey protein an hour before and asap after is the way to go. Do you mix your whey with milk or water? I always mix my gold standard 100% shake with milk after workouts since milk is a casein protein which is slowly digesting so you get a bit of the best of both worlds.

Maybe somebody else can come on and shed a bit more light but IMO taking a whey protein directly after you workout is the best way to go. After your workout your muscles are in dire need of protein and you want to get it to them as quick as possible, thats why I take a whey protein right after I workout. If you take a slowly digesting protein right after your workout, your muscles arent getting that needed protein right away. I would suggest taking your micell edge protein right before you go to bed since while you sleep you are not taking in any protein and that is a slow burning protein.

your making sense, and im not lol

i totaly see it now

soo i should take whey before and after because its fast burning and my muscles need protein right away -- it was very stupid of me to take a slow burning protein after, ive probably gotten smaller from that

i guess i could use the slow burning protein before i go to bed and also around noon?
    186lbs- September 2006
    220lbs- July 2011 lol

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    i guess i could use the slow burning protein before i go to bed and also around noon?
    Yup.

For more info on pre, during, and post workout nutrition, please refer to the sticky at the top of this section .

kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I always mix my gold standard 100% shake with milk after workouts since milk is a casein protein which is slowly digesting so you get a bit of the best of both worlds.
    actually the casein in the milk will just gel in the stomach and slow down the absorption of all any protein in your stomach, so milk kind of defeats the purpose of whey post-workout.

to the OP, you don't want to be burning protein as an energy source while you workout anyway, so just having a whey shake isn't the best thing for you pre-workout. put the shake in some oats and peanut butter and that should give you plenty of energy to get through your workout.

as far as PWO, take a whey shake with some carbs in water as you leave the gym. then about 30 mins-1 hr. later eat some food.

there's a ton of info on PreWO, During WO, and PWO nutrition on this forum and on the main site. just read up for a while and you'll find some good info.

hopefully this helped a little.
    "Remember, nothin' great was done without a struggle." - Sadat X

Summer lean bulk: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2941161

Thumbs up

your making sense, and im not lol

i totaly see it now

soo i should take whey before and after because its fast burning and my muscles need protein right away -- it was very stupid of me to take a slow burning protein after, ive probably gotten smaller from that

You got it. Not sure what your diet looks like but if you can I would mainly try to get your protein from food in the afternoon. If you have a busy schedule and cant find time to eat then I would agree with you and take your slowly digesting protein in the afternoon. I'm sure you've read on here multiply times to try and eat 5-6 small meals a day and try to not go longer than 3-4 hours without giving your body more protein.

Originally Posted by kdubs
    actually the casein in the milk will just gel in the stomach and slow down the absorption of all any protein in your stomach, so milk kind of defeats the purpose of whey post-workout.
    Didn't know that, thanks. So when you drink your whey protein PWO do you just mix it with water?

kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kdubs has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Didn't know that, thanks. So when you drink your whey protein PWO do you just mix it with water?
    well, like i said in the previous post, there's a ton of info and different theories to nutrient timing. i personally use Scivation/Chuck Rudolph's ideas which rely heavily on during WO nutrition rather than pre or post.

so during my workouts, i drink a supplement called Xtend (BCAAs) with my normal whey powder. it basically negates the need for a PWO shake. so about an hour before i lift, i eat some oats mixed with whey and PB. while i lift i drink the Xtend+WPI. then about 45 minutes after i get home and shower i eat the same thing as before.

however, if you're going to take a PWO shake, definitely take it in water. preferably with some carbs.

sorry this post got all long and personal for such a simple question. check out Chuck's theories though, the man seems to be a budding genius.
    "Remember, nothin' great was done without a struggle." - Sadat X

Summer lean bulk: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2941161

Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Alfz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The Casein in the milk will turn into INSOLUBLE Caseinogen from the enzyme secreted in the stomach called Rennin.

The insoluble form will take a looonger time to digest compared to the SOLUBLE form of whey in the stomach.

I would love drinking it with milk.. But i hate my protein shake cold... Strawberry flavour + cold milk imo=****
    Hello