krazy_K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

protein powder causing headache

Hi all,
    I started taking protein powder for the first time a few days back. I am taking GNC's 100% whey protein and I now have a persistent headache everyday. Is this because of the sudden change in my diet due to excess protein or is there something wrong with this brand of protein powder?
    if anyone has had similar experiences, please let me know.

shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100)
    Most headaches are due to dehydration.

Did you up your water intake?

What's the sodium content of the GNC protein?

David

tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10) tyzride is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've noticed the same thing ever since I started taking protein powder also. There is nothing in the powder that would cause headaches. Some people might react differently to different supps. I would have to agree with shpongled, make sure you are keeping your water intake up.
    Success is merely the decision not to fail and the desire to do everything to win.

exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by tyzride
    There is nothing in the powder that would cause headaches. .

Aspartam can gives headaches. it's largely used as a swetener in protein products
    Capitalism, love, dollar & japan passion

krazy_K has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thanks...

Thanks for the info. I did'nt realize that I need to increase my water intake. To answer the questions:

The sodium content is 130mg per serving of 31 grams.
    (protein is 20 grams)

And yes there is Aspartate in the powder.

Hopefully increased water intake should solve the problem.

Ironman-23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Re: Thanks...

Originally posted by krazy_K
    Thanks for the info. I did'nt realize that I need to increase my water intake. To answer the questions:

The sodium content is 130mg per serving of 31 grams.
    (protein is 20 grams)

And yes there is Aspartate in the powder.

Hopefully increased water intake should solve the problem.
    get a powder with out aspartame. That **** is disgusting, all thsoe fake sweetners give me a headache.

SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) SPIKE326 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    The headaches would be due to Aspartame. Aspartame is 200x sweeter than sugar. The extent of the sweetness excites the neurons in the brain to such an extent that cells die.

Bud Heavy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I actually had the same prob when I used to use GNC 100% whey. (prob any with assfartame for that matter) Bad headaches, though it was a toooma. Once i stopped taking it it dissappeared in a day or two.

P.S. I also took that **** back to GNC close to empty, complained that it gave me a headache and they refunded my money.

Ryan
    If your 555 then I'm 666, whats it like to be a heretic!

shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100) shpongled is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally posted by SPIKE326
    The headaches would be due to Aspartame. Aspartame is 200x sweeter than sugar. The extent of the sweetness excites the neurons in the brain to such an extent that cells die.
    ACTUALLY...

Aspartame is 63 times sweeter than sugar, for the amount of calories. But it just means they use 63 times less.

The headache is probably due to aspartame breaking down to aspartate and over-exciting the NMDA receptors. It could also be due to dehydration....

David

Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50) Starsky will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yeah, I remember that whenever I drank diet pop with Aspartame I would get headaches. GNC probably just uses more of it in their powder, get a different brand next time.

exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000) exhortae is just really nice. (+1000)
    aspartame is made of

acid aspartic
    phenylalanine
    methanol

2 first two are neuromediators wich when they enter the brain without the other AA messes with it.

methanol well that's the fuel used in the cart series.

jverch has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If aspartame is causing the headaches try using a protien powder that contains Splenda...it's an artificial sweetener that is touted as tasting more like sugar.
    I've used it without any problems. Doesn't have that funny aspartame aftertaste.
    "Every man dies; not every man truly lives"
    William Wallace

splenda (sucralose) is evil too.

doingwhatican has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I have headaches even from non aspert powders

I have consistent headaches from protein powders, so I ordered some Life's Basics Plant Protein Mix hippie protein with all natural flavors and I get headaches from it too.
    I'm actually concerned and annoyed as I also get headaches from scivation extend and both protein powders and scivation have very positive reviews for fitness and muscle building...

Everygirlsux has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Its all the dairy

Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100) Idiotlifter is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Everygirlsux View Post
    Its all the dairy
    i bet u didnt realize how old this thread is

praveengirotra is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Team, I am on Whey protein gold (Optimum Nutrition) for last 6 months. The last one I ordered from bodybuilding.com is causing headache all day. The headache stops when I stop consuming the protein. I am not sure what is different to the one that I ordered vs. old ones which I had no issues with. Also is there a better Whey isolate that I can replace with? Something that ON has and others don't? Thanks in Advance.

RaseshKumar is on a distinguished road. (+10)

In same boat...

I am in the same boat, I had headaches every time I had the Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein shake. I researched online, and it does not seem, at least, I was not able to find, any protein shake that did not result into headaches for the people who suffered with headaches from any single protein shake.
    Which make me question if asparten is the actual culprit here.

Did anyone (who used to have headaches) find any different whey protein shake that did not result into headaches?