bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

2000 calorie diet?

Well to start off i'm 15, 6ft, and i weigh 290. I'm trying to get down to about 220 and was wondering is 2000 calories is enough to make me lose weight. I lift for about 2hrs 5 days a week and the past week i've been doing 30 mins on the eliptical. Do u think this will be enough to help me lose weight? Thankz

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    2,000 cals doesn't sound like enough.

How many calories do I need? Click here to find out, courtesy of forum member Short One
    At least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.
    At least 20% of your cals should come from healthy fats.
    Carbs are up to you, I recommend having starchy carbs @ breakfast, PreWO, and PWO.
    Drink at least 1 gallon of pure water a day.

Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Haza has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At 290lbs your BMR is around 2643cals and a TDEE of 3380 so to cut 3350 calories would be a good place to start, 2000 calories may well put you in starvation mode which will be counterproductive to your weight loss.

Also in general cardio is more important that weight lifting when it come to weight loss, so if they 30 mins on the eliptical was 5 days a week also then great however if you only did it once you'll want to aim for atleast 4 times a week, the more the better.
    Last edited by Haza; 10-14-2006 at 11:50 PM.

bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bigboihustle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thankz for the replies, about 2 months ago when i started lifting again, i had broke my tailbone, i weighed about 278. I started taking protein powder and eating a protein bar a day along witha few other supplements. Well about a week or 2 ago i checked my weight and i weighed 294. So i imediatly cut out the protein powder and the bar since i knew all of this weight couldn't be muscle. Well in a week i'm back down to 289 a 5 lb lost, i'm guessing water weight. But the reason i am fat now is because i love pizza and i will binge on it and i used to have it about 3-4 times a week but now i cut it out of my diet since i can't just live with a little taste. But 2000 calories doesn't seem that small to me, if i find the right stuff to eat i think it'll actually make me full.

victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    NO, 2000 is small for almost anyone. 1800 is the bare minimum for any male. 2000 is too low for YOU, and they dont need to feel full, that fealing will come once you know what to eat and eat healthy. boyscouT knows his stuff, listen to him. You can live with some taste btw, i have pizza every now and then, especially with my friends, but just know how to control yourself. If you cant gain that control, what will happen once you are at the weight you want to be? Still not eat pizza, or eat so much pizza that you will gain back all the weight.

YOU can drop FAT eating about 2900 calories. From there just drop or add 100 or 200 calories until you lose about 1.5 or 2 pounds a week AT MOST. Do more cardio and weight train for about an hr, two is too much.

Sorry if this sounded harsh, but I dont want you to make horrible mistake
    "Love like your life depends on it, live like love is the only thing worth living for"
    "Train because you love to, train because you love yourself"

Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bigboihustle
    Well to start off i'm 15, 6ft, and i weigh 290. I'm trying to get down to about 220 and was wondering is 2000 calories is enough to make me lose weight. I lift for about 2hrs 5 days a week and the past week i've been doing 30 mins on the eliptical. Do u think this will be enough to help me lose weight? Thankz
    Must agree.. For your age and height, and activity level (5x a week weights, and I don't know how often you're doing the xtrainer).

Your BMR is 2684.31:
    Your safe TDEE is b/n 3328.56 and 3536.58 cals

If you drop below your BMR of ~2600 you will likely have trouble dropping fat.

Remember, you need to:
    - FEED your muscle (which you won't do at 2K)
    - BURN the fat.

PS. read my signature quote for the results of eating 2000 cals only
    "When you starve the fat, you also starve the muscle.
    When you starve the muscle, you lose muscle along with the fat.
    When you lose muscle, your metabolism slows down and your body enters the "starvation mode"
    When your body enters starvation mode, fat loss comes to a screeching halt as your body tries to conserve its energy. - Tom Venuto"
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362
    youTube vids: http://youtube.com/profile?user=FitnessNut
    my iPhone apps: http://www.yianni-software.com/

LesnarAngle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My formula is very simple: Eat less. Move more. I lost 25+ lbs by eating small meals. I was conscientious of my calorie intake, sure. But you won't go into starvation mode (slowing down your metabolism) if you push yourself hard in the gym and replenish your muscles. I ate no more than 10*bodyweight; typically, I ate 7 or 8 times my bodyweight.
    Last edited by LesnarAngle; 10-14-2006 at 04:11 PM.

Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by LesnarAngle
    My formula is very simple: Eat less. Move more. I lost 25+ lbs by eating small meals. I was conscientious of my calorie intake, sure. But you won't go into starvation mode (slowing down your metabolism) if you push yourself hard in the gym and replenish your muscles. I ate no more than 10*bodyweight; typically, I ate 7 or 8 times my bodyweight.
    Sure, you lost weight..
    Questions for you are:
    - how long did this 25 lb loss take you
    - do you know you lost only fat?

We're talking about losing fat, not losing weight.

And even if the OP ate 10x bodyweight, this would STILL be 900 calories over what they're suggesting.
    Fat loss is a slow process, not a rush to the finish line. When I mentioned safe, that is what I meant. They could quite easily go another 500 cals under the suggested range I gave given their current bodyweight but it's best not to rush things.

Edit: Also, the original poster is 15 years old. I would never suggest a teenager starve themselves in order to lose some bodyfat.
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362
    youTube vids: http://youtube.com/profile?user=FitnessNut
    my iPhone apps: http://www.yianni-software.com/

LesnarAngle has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yep, 6 months. And I monitored my fat loss.

klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) klootzak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm doing 2000 calories right now and haven't lost a thing. My strength continues to increase, as well as my muscle composition however the fat just isn't coming off at a rate that I would like, so I'm going to cut down to 1500 calories and see what happens. I'm 6' 190lbs, probably 19-20% bf. Taking in 2500 calories I actually began to gain weight. Maybe the way our bodies are wired we need less calories than other people. There are certain ethnicities (germans, some russians, some italians) of people who have a tendancy to store extra body fat, probably as a means to survive long fits of starvation in ancient times

I do cardio every day as well. I've tried intensive HIIT and everything. Haven't lost a pound in 2 months.

BTW when taking in so few calories I don't really feel as though I'm starving myself. I can suppress my appetite quite easily.

victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10) victormu is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    becuase you body is shutting down, thats why its call starvation mode.
    "Love like your life depends on it, live like love is the only thing worth living for"
    "Train because you love to, train because you love yourself"