TrainingForUtopia has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Psyllium Husk Powder, hard to down

So I picked up some Psyllium Husk Power and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out a way to take it daily. The bottle suggests mixing it into water and drinking immediately, but that's a joke. The stuff tastes wretched, and it has the worst texture going down. I have to try not to vommit in the process. I've tried mixing it with food, but not only does it ruin the food, it forms large sticky chunks in my mouth...not fun.

I need some creative advice on how to take this stuff without having to taste it. It works great when I get it down, and no other fiber supplements come close to the dietary fiber content of this, especially considering the great cost. Help is appreciated!
    "Here the strongest fall to their knees. Nothing stands between a man and his maker." -August Burns Red

"Time can kill the greatest of men. Even the strongest find themselves on the floor." -Norma Jean

"My frailty uncovers what I really am, not what I mean to be. Show me this new road, show me the way past my own strength." -Life in your Way

SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000) SavageOne is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by TrainingForUtopia
    So I picked up some Psyllium Husk Power and I'm having a heck of a time figuring out a way to take it daily. The bottle suggests mixing it into water and drinking immediately, but that's a joke. The stuff tastes wretched, and it has the worst texture going down. I have to try not to vommit in the process. I've tried mixing it with food, but not only does it ruin the food, it forms large sticky chunks in my mouth...not fun.

I need some creative advice on how to take this stuff without having to taste it. It works great when I get it down, and no other fiber supplements come close to the dietary fiber content of this, especially considering the great cost. Help is appreciated!
    Try plugging your nose and just downing it. That's what I do with nasty protein. Have something to chase it with to wash the taste out and hopefully you'll be set.

2fresh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'd rather down 151 all night then the husk fiber. The smell and texture of it alone going down is enough to make me collapse to the floor.

Stupidly I bought 3 bottles a while back and they've just been collecting dust. I'm going to cap those babbies!

Originally Posted by 2fresh
    I'd rather down 151 all night then the husk fiber. The smell and texture of it alone going down is enough to make me collapse to the floor.
    Haha! Good, so it's not just me. I keep telling myself that I need to just suck it up and stop whining but ugh, it's terrible.
    "Here the strongest fall to their knees. Nothing stands between a man and his maker." -August Burns Red

"Time can kill the greatest of men. Even the strongest find themselves on the floor." -Norma Jean

"My frailty uncovers what I really am, not what I mean to be. Show me this new road, show me the way past my own strength." -Life in your Way

FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) FlyingV is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    As cheap as psyllium is why not just trash it and take something in capsule form that you can use. I like the Yerba Prima Daily Fiber Caps. Great blend of different fibers and around 7 bucks a bottle.

Depending on where you bought it, consider bringing it back and saying you tried it in good faith but it doesnt work for you, can you get credit for something else. Most health food stores and online places have pretty liberal return policies for situations like this, if only because the vendor will give them full credit for your return 99.9% of the time.

wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wuzzo87 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    how about mixing it with yogurt or ur cereals??

Originally Posted by FlyingV
    As cheap as psyllium is why not just trash it and take something in capsule form that you can use. I like the Yerba Prima Daily Fiber Caps. Great blend of different fibers and around 7 bucks a bottle.
    I checked these out, and they have less than 1/3 the amount of dietary fiber of Psyllium Husk. If it comes to it, I might give them a shot, but I can get 27% of my daily fiber just from 1 serving of Psyllium Husk.

Originally Posted by wuzzo87
    how about mixing it with yogurt or ur cereals??
    Heh, I originally thought mixing it with yogurt was going to be an easy solution. I really can't describe how disgusting the result was, you just have to try for yourself to understand. So far, mixing it with cereal has been the most successful way since the powder almost tastes like old soggy cheerios, so I can fool my stomach into thinking that's all it is.

mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mike2858 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it turns into a gooey blob of a mess. i do it it too. i put in a lil water try to mix it up quickly and throw it down. ive tried everything. a lot of water--donest work kus everything just gooifies. i treid in my mouth dry and chose with water---it gets stuck to everything in ur mouth. i just put like a table spoon or so in---2-4 oz of water mix it as quickly as possible ad thorw it in my mouth. i usualy end up keeping it in my outh for a good 5 seconds and hold back the gag but thas what u godda do. its not just u lol
    Cutting Log- Melting Point, Basic Cuts, Sesamin, Camp
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=9764609#post9764609

Universal Shock Therapy, NOX3, Storm
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=724885

dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dvsness has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Thumbs up

i mix it in with my oatmeal and whey.

it disappears completely, no taste at all.
    NPC Bodybuilder, Mother and Hater Extraordinaire

Sponsored by Prep & Rep Kitchen

iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I get mine in caps. Still cheap and no taste to worry about.

Where can you can get Psyllium Husk Powder in caps? Do you have to take like 10 a day or what?

iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10) iDesign is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Where can you can get Psyllium Husk Powder in caps? Do you have to take like 10 a day or what?
    Mine are just some cheap Life brand I picked up Shoppers Drug Mart. It's not something I take all the time.

(Abbreviated) DIRECTIONS: Take 5 or 6 capsules with a full glass (8 oz.) of water, 3 to 4 times daily.

This seems like a helluva lot to me. So I just take 4-6 caps on the occasional day.

smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) smh31 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by iDesign
    Mine are just some cheap Life brand I picked up Shoppers Drug Mart. It's not something I take all the time.

(Abbreviated) DIRECTIONS: Take 5 or 6 capsules with a full glass (8 oz.) of water, 3 to 4 times daily.

This seems like a helluva lot to me. So I just take 4-6 caps on the occasional day.
    5 to 6 capsules daily is nothing compared to the 6 big tablets of Leukic, and 9 pills of Hydroxycut hardcore that you take..

Originally Posted by smh31
    5 to 6 capsules daily is nothing compared to the 6 big tablets of Leukic, and 9 pills of Hydroxycut hardcore that you take..
    Read the directions smart guy. "3-4 times daily". That's up to 24 capsules per day just to keep regular. And I only take those two supps during my pre-contest prep.

beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000) beer20 is just really nice. (+1000)
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/husk.html
    - SNS Rep
    - http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sns/sns.htm
    - Beer20 @ seriousnutritionsolutions.com

WowWowWowWow ab-swing asianbabe's Avatar
    ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000) ab-swing asianbabe is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Try mixing it in yoghurt, cottage cheese, whey, oats... stuff like that - don't use too much at a time though, it might get gluey..

357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 357mag has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have taken psyllium, is it the unflavored no nutrasweet version? that stuff is no problem for me, btw i would mix it with protein or oatmeal. Also make sure to at least use some water as there is a choking hazard if you dont use enough.
    A former shadow of myself

I don't know how I didn't see this, but even still: if you take 3 caps twice a day as directed, you're only getting 8% DV of fiber, compared to 27% with the powder

Lightweight motha f...... albert88's Avatar
    albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) albert88 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you use Xtend watermelon, put 1 tablespoon of psyllium husk and 1 scoop of xtend in a shaker and enjoy...can't taste the fiber whatsoever.

cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cyde has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Try mixing your powder into some sugar free koolaid or your protein shakes.

mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000) mrkdrt is a name known to all. (+5000)
    agreed its gross.. tastes and feels like drinking sand.
    I just chug it down though and chase with something else (usually more water)

silverpump has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i use my blender.. mixes well