WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Question Whats the difference between front and back squats

Whats the difference between front and back squats? (besides the obvious)

I've always done back squats and I thought i'd give front squats a shot where the weight is supported on my shoulders with my arms crossed.

For some reason, front squats felt a bit more natural and I could actually go deeper then the back squat. Does this work out different muscle groups? any help appreciated, cant seem to find too much info yet, and why arent they more popular?

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    front squats are HARD because its extremely uncomfortable for most people to hold the bar in front like that

front squats are going to be more thigh oriented...less ham/glute/hip

back squats are more ham/glute/hip...less thigh

front squats may be slightly easier on form because you sort of just drop straight down

I hate to wimp out....but id probably do plenty of front squats if I had some sort of harness etc to hold the bar, lol

zercher squats are interesting too....you just pretty much drop straight down with them also .....(zerchers are squats with the bar held in the bend of your arms...its like a front squat with the "front" part emphasized even more, lol) http://www.shanepower.com/kneeling1.htm scroll down
    "Humility comes before honor"

WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WIPump is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by John Prophet
    front squats are HARD because its extremely uncomfortable for most people to hold the bar in front like that

front squats are going to be more thigh oriented...less ham/glute/hip

back squats are more ham/glute/hip...less thigh

front squats may be slightly easier on form because you sort of just drop straight down

I hate to wimp out....but id probably do plenty of front squats if I had some sort of harness etc to hold the bar, lol

zercher squats are interesting too....you just pretty much drop straight down with them also .....(zerchers are squats with the bar held in the bend of your arms...its like a front squat with the "front" part emphasized even more, lol) http://www.shanepower.com/kneeling1.htm scroll down
    awesome info, thanks!