Mortifer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Advice for stretching and workout

I just started reading this forum a few days ago and I decided to ask everyone's opinion. I am 25 and I have been lifting off and on for 5 years and really dont have much to show for it (long breaks, followed by 2-4 months of workouts). I finally have 2 workout partners that want to lift as much as I do - and we keep each other from skipping out.

Ok, now that I want to get serious I need some advice on a workout schedule. I play softball in the summer and would like to know some good exercises to improve bat speed, throwing arm and power. Some exercises would be very nice, but I really need some advice on what to stretch and how to go about doing it. At the end of last years season I stopped lifting because I noticed I was getting more and more stiff as the season went on. After being off 2 weeks I started hitting the ball for distance again. I liked the results of not lifting in softball, but unfortunately it turned me soft too

The guys I lift with only want to go 2 days a week, but i dont have any problems going 3 and possible 4 days a week (3 preferably). So any workout schedules that work in that time constraint would be great - I have copied a few of the schedules posted over the past 3-4 days so I have an idea on what do to.

I would appreciate any advice you guys can give. I have been lifting for the past 2 months with minimal gain, so a harder workout is ok with me. I want to stay very loose and stretched but I also want to gain some muscle mass and look good. Thanks in advance for your help.

jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jdstl1977 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question

Since you already have some prior experience in lifting and are athletic there are many things you could do.

You can try a HIT routine that will increase your strength for about a month and a half. But don't use HIT for more than that. During your softball season, keep your rep range to about 12. This will work endurance and not bulk you up so much that you are too tired and too tight to perform well during the season.

Add sprints and plyometrics to your cardio and weight training respectively. The sprints will mimic the actual running you do in the game and plyometrics will help your explosiveness in your game.

Work on core/ab strength to improve throwing and batting. Stretching is essential. You'll be able to produce more force, notice how batters stretch just before going up to bat. You'll obviously need to stretch your quads and hamstrings as well as your back.

Find strength routines for the off season, maintenance during the summer. Good Luck.

Hey JDSTL, I am in St. Louis too! Nice to see another St. Louisian on here!

Any advice on where to get information on plyometric workouts? I realize I could search the web using google, but I would like to know what sites you guys know and trust.

Thanks!

Any advice on stretches?

also, what is a HIT routine?

Harkamus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harkamus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harkamus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harkamus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harkamus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Harkamus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    HIT stands for High Intensity Training. HIT stresses form over weight. HIT is a philosphy emphasizing less, brief, and infrequent work outs. LESS meaning as intense as possible. BRIEF meaning not more than 30-45 minutes(1 set per exercise is enough for most people; although some do *up to* 3). INFREQUENT meaning 1-3 times per week. As you get more proficient in blasting your muscles, you may cut down to twice or even once a week.

Need more 411? www.cyberpump.com <=== the macdaddys of HIT!

I've been doing it for about 2 weeks now. I lift 2 days a week with HIT. I can tell ya it works. I always add reps every time I lift(or try to at least). I add weights every week to a few exercises. It works man. Give it a shot.
    "Pain is weakness leaving the body." -US Marines

Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Big H has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

Hark what is your routine?