Sjac96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need help with my routine

Hey,
    I'm a noob in making routines, I've been doing dumbbells for a few months now (still beginner sorta) and have bought myself a barbell and pullbar.

This is my routine:

Monday - Chest & Triceps
    Bench press - 4 sets
    Incline bench press - 3 sets
    Close grip bench press - 3 sets
    Overhead extensions (two-arm) - 3 sets

Tuesday - Legs
    Squats - 4 sets
    Lunges - 3 sets
    Romanian deadlifts - 4 sets
    Standing calf raises - 4 sets

Wednesday - OFF

Thursday - Shoulders & Traps
    DB Shoulder press - 2 sets
    Barbell seated shoulder press - 2 sets
    One-arm lateral raises - 3 sets
    Two-arm lateral raises - 3 sets
    DB Shrugs - 2 sets
    BB Shrugs - 2 sets

Friday - Back & Biceps
    Pull ups - Can't do them yet, so I do negatives as many as I can do decently
    Deadlifts - 4 sets
    DB bent over rows - 2 sets
    BB bent over rows - 2 sets
    Single arm bent over rows - 2 sets
    Standing DB curls - 3 sets
    Hammer curls - 2 sets
    Preacher curls - 2 sets

Saturday/Sunday - Cardio/OFF

I've got a few questions I haven't yet found an aswer for:
    - As you can see in my routine, I'm switching up DB and BB in several exercises (eg. bent over rows and shrugs). Is this a good habit? Or is one specifically better than the other?
    - In my routine I also do single-arm bent over rows and lateral raises, is it good to switch up one-arm and two-arm exercises? Or should I just stick to one?
    - Is there a need to incorporate chin-ups, wide grip pull ups and push ups? Pullups also originally werent in my routine so I put them on back/biceps day.

I want the best, most useful exercises in my routine.
    Sorry if I posted in the wrong section, I'm new to this forum.

benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Check out the stickies in this sub-forum. Plenty of beginner routines that will hit all the necessary areas as much as you need. Making your own routine is something for the more advanced.

This in fact was a beginner routine, I edited it to my likings and I'm just here to get feedback and hopefully answers to my questions.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    It's not one I recognise. The first and most glaring problem is the once-per-week body part frequency. A muscle stops growing in any meaningful way after a maximum of 48 hours after it's trained. Also, novices don't need a large amount of volume to maximise their growth stimulus - but they can burn themselves out with overworking.

Seriously, don't try to make your own routine.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    It's not one I recognise. The first and most glaring problem is the once-per-week body part frequency. A muscle stops growing in any meaningful way after a maximum of 48 hours after it's trained. Also, novices don't need a large amount of volume to maximise their growth stimulus - but they can burn themselves out with overworking.

Seriously, don't try to make your own routine.
    What I understood was that training a body part more than once a week is unnecessary, so you're saying I need to train all body parts multiple times a week?

This was originally my starter dumbbell-only workout. I mixed it up with barbell, but the exercises are similar.

It's really hard for me to tell what makes a workout good, there's a huge amount of choices out there and I have no idea where to start. Atleast tell me what's wrong with my workout and what I can change about it.

If you know a good workout that's better than this please link it, I can't choose without knowledge.
    Last edited by Sjac96; 06-30-2015 at 05:30 AM.

benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50) benh2 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Note down the most used ones here: All Pro, Fierce 5, SS, Ice Cream etc.

Put them in a hat and pick one out, it's guaranteed to be better than what you (or I) could create. Novices benefit from multiple full body workouts per week.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    The routines mentioned above are the ones we recommend on this forum. They represent the best combined knowledge of the people here and aren't tainted by ulterior motives such as selling supplements or selling personal training etc.

The routines mentioned above are the ones we recommend on this forum. They represent the best combined knowledge of the people here and aren't tainted by ulterior motives such as selling supplements or selling personal training etc.
    How about Stronglifts 5x5? I'm leaning towards doing that one as it focuses on good exercises on high frequency.

forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10) forlife25 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Sjac96 View Post
    How about Stronglifts 5x5? I'm leaning towards doing that one as it focuses on good exercises on high frequency.
    Good program.

Originally Posted by Sjac96 View Post
    Yes, do it.

Yes, do it.
    Alright thanks, now I'm considering adding pull ups to squad/overhead/deadlift day, will this help me alot or should I stay away from it just yet?

Also is it bad to have slightly more pull than push in the workout?