Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Falling forward during squats????

Alright I have a question that I did not know the answer to.

My training partner turns his squat into a half goodmorning when he squats heavy. It seems as though he goes low and gets to a sticking point and kind of falls forward into a goodmorning position, and then simultanously straightens his legs and brings the weight up using his back.

My question is, I know this is not the correct way and can lead to potential injury, i just dont know how to guide him into fixing it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    My Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111120791

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Chrisx9118
    Alright I have a question that I did not know the answer to.

My training partner turns his squat into a half goodmorning when he squats heavy. It seems as though he goes low and gets to a sticking point and kind of falls forward into a goodmorning position, and then simultanously straightens his legs and brings the weight up using his back.

My question is, I know this is not the correct way and can lead to potential injury, i just dont know how to guide him into fixing it. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    I bend slightly too sometimes, but I don't turn it into a good morning, but maybe one way to fix the sticking point is after his regular squats, do squats from his sticking point, put the pins in the rack whereever he starts to fumble forward and have him squat for like 5 or 6 singles from there, might help.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    This used to happen to me in the squat. I believe it is from having a stronger back then legs. Also can happen from driving the elbows back instead of forward or under the bar. Make sure he is first pushing hips back then knees out then the descent and on the way up pull elbows forward and drive head into the bar while keeping the eyes looking straight ahead. Hope this helps. Stance might also be a little close try moving it out a little bit.
    "Powerlifters put it deeper in the hole."
    "Screw genetics, I'll decide my own potential!"
    Kansas Powerlifters keep in touch here! "http://www.kspowerlifting.proboards104.com/"

Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mateo_66
    This used to happen to me in the squat. I believe it is from having a stronger back then legs. Also can happen from driving the elbows back instead of forward or under the bar. Make sure he is first pushing hips back then knees out then the descent and on the way up pull elbows forward and drive head into the bar while keeping the eyes looking straight ahead. Hope this helps. Stance might also be a little close try moving it out a little bit.

This sounds right on. His current squat 1 rep max is 255lbs and his 1 rep max on deadlifts is 415lbs. Good point on keeping head up and elbows under the bar, as that should hold the whole back upright. Thanks guys.
    My Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111120791

Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000) Danimal is just really nice. (+1000)
    It's mostly a form issue. He needs to focus his eyes on a point ahead of him to keep his head up, and when at the bottom of the squat, the 1st thing that should move is his head driving back and up, and then drive the hips forward. Right now I imagine that his hips are coming up too fast which turns it into a good morning. Also, weak abs will cause you to lean forward so some additional heavy weighted ab work will help.

GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i'm guilty of this too ... what's helped me is a lot of volume.

see if he doesnt mind training in the 80ish% range a few times a month so he can pump out mad reps and really focus on form. just like anything else ... the more you squat the better you squat.

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    Check it out...

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/falling_forward.htm

Keep in mind this article is geared toward suited lifters, but a lot of the ideas still apply if you lift raw.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50) UhhWhatever will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When ascending, push back against the bar. Concentrate on moving your head up, rather than moving your ass up.

Also, it's indicative of a hamstring / glute weakness. Do some more SLDL.
    485/285/495 @ 200
    Ed Coan told me I had nice squat form.

Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Great info in here guys and great link RipStone

Something else that helped me was realising that I had the bar too high. Once I started squatting with the bar on the top of my delts rather than the top of my traps, my form improved heaps.
    Retired strongwoman and powerlifter. Now living for God!
    www.ausdisciples.com

* My posts prior to Nov 2008 do not reflect my new-found faith in Christ. I became Christian in Nov 2008.

canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Titania

Something else that helped me was realising that I had the bar too high. Once I started squatting with the bar on the top of my delts rather than the top of my traps, my form improved heaps.
    argh, you beat me to it. Also, not trying to be a dick, but maybe he needs to check his ego at the door and lighten the weight a little until his form is perfect. It's better than hurting his lower back which could cause issues for the rest of his life.

Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by canyonracerx
    argh, you beat me to it. Also, not trying to be a dick, but maybe he needs to check his ego at the door and lighten the weight a little until his form is perfect. It's better than hurting his lower back which could cause issues for the rest of his life.
    You know what they say about great minds
    www.ausdisciples.com

* My posts prior to Nov 2008 do not reflect my new-found faith in Christ. I became Christian in Nov 2008.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I don't necessarily switching to a wide stance and low bar placement is the best place to fix squat problems, well at least if you're interested in olympic lifting, which is what I focus on, but I know Chris and his partner and to the best of my knowledge they don't workout with a total olympic lifting focus so I guess it's worth a try.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

Eastern European Beast polishmuscle01's Avatar
    polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) polishmuscle01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I used to do this a lot, fall forward, and I just have to remember to stay on my heals. Hope that helped.

Originally Posted by GoJu
    I don't necessarily switching to a wide stance and low bar placement is the best place to fix squat problems, well at least if you're interested in olympic lifting, which is what I focus on, but I know Chris and his partner and to the best of my knowledge they don't workout with a total olympic lifting focus so I guess it's worth a try.
    Fair comment.
    My comment was just a possibility coming from a powerlifting pov. I squat wide and with the bar relatively low in competition but I compete in powerlifting.
    www.ausdisciples.com

GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50) GDA will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Titania

although already covered this is something i should have thought of too ... my buddy marcus has been on my ass to learn to hold it lower as well. im fine at 90% and a little above, but once i get above that i get crushed when im in the hole. sometimes i can still grind my way out of it, but i need to fix the problem while im still new.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Chrisx9118
    Have your training partner do this... this helped me and maybe it will help him.

Tell him to look UP - straight up at the ceiling about 1 foot in front of where he is. Keeping the head up is the key and looking straight up at the ceiling is how I conquered my problem. If his head is up, then he shouldn't have anymore problems. He can move his head around while he's standing up, but during the squat his eyes should be glued to that ceiling!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

pwrlftr66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pwrlftr66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pwrlftr66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pwrlftr66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pwrlftr66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pwrlftr66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) pwrlftr66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by John Hicks
    Have your training partner do this... this helped me and maybe it will help him.

Tell him to look UP - straight up at the ceiling about 1 foot in front of where he is. Keeping the head up is the key and looking straight up at the ceiling is how I conquered my problem. If his head is up, then he shouldn't have anymore problems. He can move his head around while he's standing up, but during the squat his eyes should be glued to that ceiling!
    head should point straight foward and ur eyes should look up.

Epcelon has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ha, ive fallen over loads of times squatting...just keep your head up and look at the ceiling from start finish, also rememmber to take a deep breath and hold it untill you've completed your rep (this tenses your diaphragm making your core stronger and in turn keeping your torso more up right)

Also its better to break at the hip first then the knees and decend slowly (but power up as hard/fast as you can)...but rememmber keep focused on the ceiling directly above you!
    The act of stupidity is repeating the same mistake twice but expecting a different outcome!