chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Can you work out a muscle if is still a little sore?

on tuesday i did squats and deadlifts and my legs are still really sore. i usually do a few lunges and leg preses on friday but i know i'm still gonna be sore tommorow, is it okay to go ahead and do them anyways or is the soreness a way of my body telling me that my legs havnt' healed all the way?

Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Frankenfield has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    personally i would wait

saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    same with me, I dont work out that part if its still sore.

cheers

smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) smooth9825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bah. suck it up and lift. unless you physically cant do the lifts, soreness wont hurt you- its just a buildup of lactic acid. some stretching afterwards may help
    190 lbs
    5'11"

Currently:cutting

Strength Enthusiast Retardo-pex's Avatar
    Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000) Retardo-pex is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If its been 2 or more days, you're muscles should be plenty recovered. Soreness doesn't mean the muscle is still repairing itself. If you follow HST principles at all they recomend working out if you are still sore as long as you took at least a day inbetween workouts.

alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50) alexclark will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by smooth9825
    some stretching afterwards may help
    ^this has helped me tremendously. try stretching after warming up (warm up for me is a 5 minute light jog on the treadmill) and after your workouts and on offdays. by the time friday comes around, you should feel good to go.

canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50) canyonracerx will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I do squats 3x a week whether I'm sore or not. Your body adapts to what you do to it whether it be 1x a week or 3x a week.

saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    After a hard workout, most people begin to experience soreness in the body parts trained within 24-48 hours, lasting for as long a week after the soreness sets in. This type of pain is called "Delayed onset muscle soreness" or DOMS.

Scientists aren't 100% sure of all the causes of DOMS, but they have a pretty good idea. The burn you feel during the performance of an exercise is caused by the buildup of lactic acid, a by-product of exercise metabolism. It was once thought that the next day soreness was a result of this lactic acid staying in the muscle. Today, most exercise physiologists agree that the primary cause of DOMS is the tiny tears that occur in the muscle that as a result of high intensity exercise - especially resistance training.

When you work out, you literally "tear down" muscle tissue (these are microscopic tears - not like a "torn" muscle in the medical sense). During the days after the workout, the muscle begins to rebuild itself, provided it is allowed enough time to recover and sufficient nutrients are provided. This rebuilding process creates a "new" muscle that is bigger and stronger than before. In a nutshell, this is how the enitre process of muscle growth takes place.

This type of pain is different than the burn you feel during the workout and it is different from the pain of an injury. It's important that you develop the ability to differentiate between the "good pain" of soreness and the "bad pain" of injury. Unless the soreness is so extreme that it is debilitating and prevents you from participating in sports or performing routine tasks (like walking up a flight of stairs!), then next day soreness is GOOD PAIN! It is a sign that you had a good workout - that you trained hard enough to break down muscle tissue. As a result, your reward is going to be bigger and stronger muscles.

DOMS will be greatest in a beginner who has never worked out before. The more your body adapts to the workload you impose on it, the less soreness you will feel. If you continue to repeat the same workout over and over again, it will eventually cease to make you sore. Unfortunately, you will also cease to make any progress. Progressive overload is the cornerstone of getting stronger and building muscle.

Soreness doesn't just occur in beginners. No matter how many years you've been training, you may also get sore when you begin a new routine. Shocking your body and providing progressive overload are the keys to muscle growth. Each time you "shock your body" with a new workout program, new exercises, new techniques you've never used before or techniques you haven't used in a long time, you can expect the soreness to return. Be aware of this every time you begin a new training program or if you follow someone else's routine that you've never done before. Sometimes the amount of soreness just from a change in your routine can be incredible. Always go easy the first day on a new program and build intensity gradually or you're asking for it!

Negative repetitions, where you lower the weight more slowly than usual, also seem to increase the level of muscle soreness. It is believed that this portion of the repetition causes greater micro trauma to the muscle fibers than the concentric or lifting portion of the repetition. (Which, by the way, is a good reason to never eliminate the negative portion of your rep as certain exercise machines do).

What if you're still sore from your previous workout? Should you still train? If the soreness is very minor, then yes, go ahead and train right through it. As blood gets in the area and your body temperature increases, the remaining soreness will dissipate. However, if there is any substantial amount of soreness remaining from the last workout whatsoever, that is a sign that you have not completely recovered yet. Your body is still "healing." If you keep breaking down muscle before it has a chance to recover, the effect will be the opposite of what you want: you will get weaker and smaller.

-Tom Venuto

cheers

TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) TRDE59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Soreness comes from exercise, yes. But why is it, when I've done a hard day of squats, I'm more sore 2 days after than one day. Are my muscles broken down more 2 days after than one day? no.

Nobody really knows why soreness occurs, but your muscles completely heal within 48 or sometimes 72 hours. If you're still sore 5 days later, it has nothing to do with your muscle's repair ability.

So, basically, unless you just can't move, and it's been at least two days, I'd say go for it.
    Your weakness, whatever it may be, is all in your mind. So is your strength.

"Only in America can you get famous just by changing from being a big fat ass to not being a big fat ass."

-Stan from South Park, on Jared Fogle

chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chris5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TRDE59
    Soreness comes from exercise, yes. But why is it, when I've done a hard day of squats, I'm more sore 2 days after than one day. Are my muscles broken down more 2 days after than one day? no.
    i know i get that too, it's reallly weird. it's like i work out my legs and chest monday, then tuesday i am kind of sore in those areas but not too much. then come wed it's like wtf i am super sore in my legs and chest. fackin delayed muscle soreness, it's crazy.

alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000) alkell is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I have started working out again, and have been going for only 6 weeks, the muscles were very sore to start with on the following days, but now I only have muscle soreness very mildly if I apply pressure on the muscle. Does this mean I am not training hard enough?

A bit of background:
    I dont do things by halves (sometimes this is good, sometimes it isnt)
    I started body building over 10 years ago, and did a 3 day program for 6 months then a 4 day program for 6 months, with 1 week break total
    Initially I saw muscle increase and more definition (I was pretty skinny)
    I didnt change my diet or take vitamins or protein drinks or anything
    After 6 months I had noticeably little or no more gains after the initial 3 months. So I increased to 4 days a week, went hard and had small gains but plateued very quickly. I stuck with it, until I was so exhausted that I decided to have a month off and never went back.

Through investigation (thank god for the internet) I am trying to avoid the many misteaks (that is a joke, I didnt say I was funny) I now understand that I made the first time, although this is a very slow process. And that is another story.