* with a tiny amount of butter and/or olive oil, minimal salt. Air-popped or in small amount of olive oil.
1. Tastes great. Especially if you get the kernels from an online specialty store. Those have a much "cornier" taste and are crispier than regular store bought.
2. Very filling. On the Satiety (fullness) Index it's near the top of the list, 50% more filling than the equivalent amount in calories of white bread, 100% higher filling than potato chips, peanuts, candy bars, cake. Stretch out one large bowl (about 3 unpopped tablespoons) for all snacks during the day. You won't even be hungry for regular meals, so you can eat smaller regular meals.
3. Awesome source of fiber. 20% RDA per tablespoon unpopped. Helps cleanse and rid your intestines of other crappy stuff you ate.
4. Low calories considering how much you can eat and how filling it is.
5. Dirt cheap price for regular store-bought and reasonable price for specialty.
6. No sat. fat and miniscule other fats, unless you use butter/oil but even then it is low if you use only a small amount. Alternative is other seasonings like yeast, cinnamon or artificial butter (if you don't mind that).
8. No artificial ingredients.
9. Good to satisfy carb/energy needs (most of my other meals are protein-heavy so I need the carbs for energy throughout the day)
10. It's a whole grain. Studies have shown that whole grains are believed to significantly reduce risk of heart disease, diabetes and various cancers.
11. GI glycemic index is avg, GL (glycemic load) index is low. Although popcorn is high carb it is much lower glycemic than many other high carb items such as potatoes, bread, rice, baked beans, crackers.
I FREAKIN love the popcorn.
Any popcorn lovers in the house or am I gonna get bashed?