raczyk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question How can I make this work... Need some help

I just started bodybuilding and my goal is to bulk up and gain some strength (curently I am 19 and 130lbs.). The problem is that my gym is at school and I'm there Monday - Thursday. I want a routine that will not overtrain my muscles, this is what I have so far..

Monday - Chest/Triceps
    Tuesday - Off
    Wednesday - Legs/Shoulders
    Thursday - Back/Biceps
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - 60 reps of different pushups/ Abs
    Sunday - Off

Also is it a bad idea to do pushups/abs every or every other day before going to bed?

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Re: How can I make this work... Need some help

Originally posted by raczyk
    I just started bodybuilding and my goal is to bulk up and gain some strength (curently I am 19 and 130lbs.). The problem is that my gym is at school and I'm there Monday - Thursday. I want a routine that will not overtrain my muscles, this is what I have so far..

Monday - Chest/Triceps
    Tuesday - Off
    Wednesday - Legs/Shoulders
    Thursday - Back/Biceps
    Friday - Off
    Saturday - 60 reps of different pushups/ Abs
    Sunday - Off

Also is it a bad idea to do pushups/abs every or every other day before going to bed?
    The split seems fine to me. I would take out the pushups though. I would also only do abs 3x a week at most. If you need help with the exercses or sets/reps, just post.

Now, you are gonig to be needing to eat a lot. 130 at 19 is very little. Try this calculation to help you figure out your calorie and protein intake:

calorie
    bodyweight x 19-20

protein
    bodyweight x 12.-1.4

keep carbs higher then normal and saturated fats in moeration.

if you need anymore help, just post.
    The Beginner's Guide to Bodybuilding

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101841

This forum is great very fast replys. Thanks for advice Sychokid... There is one thing im not sure about is reps per body part. I usualy do 3 exercises x 3 sets x 10 reps/set = Total of 90 reps per body part.

E.g for Shoulder's I would do:

1) Dumbell Shoulder Press
    2) Barbell Upright Row
    3) Cable Row (to neck with elbows out)
    4) Dumbell Shrugs

(I think these are good exercises as each one of them works out a different part of the shoulders, but not sure...) Is this to many reps? I probably finish these 4 exercises in 30 - 35 minutes and then would do legs on that day.

And one final question do i need the same amout of protein on my off days as i take on my work out days?....

Sorry for the overwhelming amount of questions but i seriously want to get all this stuff right so I can bulk up and look HOT for the summer!! heheh

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    This forum is great very fast replys. Thanks for advice Sychokid... There is one thing im not sure about is reps per body part. I usualy do 3 exercises x 3 sets x 10 reps/set = Total of 90 reps per body part.

E.g for Shoulder's I would do:

1) Dumbell Shoulder Press
    2) Barbell Upright Row
    3) Cable Row (to neck with elbows out)
    4) Dumbell Shrugs

(I think these are good exercises as each one of them works out a different part of the shoulders, but not sure...) Is this to many reps? I probably finish these 4 exercises in 30 - 35 minutes and then would do legs on that day.

And one final question do i need the same amout of protein on my off days as i take on my work out days?....

Sorry for the overwhelming amount of questions but i seriously want to get all this stuff right so I can bulk up and look HOT for the summer!! heheh
    You should be doing 6-9 sets for smaller bodyparts such as biceps, triceps, and deltoids and 9-12 sets for larger bodyparts such as legs, back, and chest.

Keep your reps between 6-12 for the best bodybuilding results. Don't concentrate on how much weight your using, instead concentrate on good form and intensity. You shouldn't do cable rows for shoulders since they are a back excercise. Try something simple like this for shoulders and traps.

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3x6-10
    Side Lateral Raises 2x8-10
    Bent Over Raises 2x8-10
    Dumbell Shrugs 3x8-12

and that's it. Should work good. This hits all 3 deltoid heads as well as the traps. You should be able to finish this in about 20 minutes as well as your leg routine in 40 to keep workouts under an hour. Make sure you train legs first though.

And yes, you should be consistent with the amount of protein you eat 7 days a week.

If you have any more questions or need us to critique your routine then just post.

Bignbuff

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    All your sets and reps don't have to be the same. I usually don't do anymore then 3 sets per exercise. I respond best to lower reps like the 4-6 range for hypertrophy (mass). A lot of people respond better to 6-10 reps. Try both.

I like to keep my protein levels high on both off and workout days. Sometimes though, i'll lower my protein by maybe 10-20 grams though.

What ever you do, try and make sure your workotus last no longer then an hour. If you need some help deciding which exercises are best or anything, just post.

Okie i am all set just need to touch up on my routine, not sure exactly how many reps per body part, but this is what i have so far.. And also when doing ab crunches is the weight supopse to be directly over or behind myhead.... Thx for all your help

===Monday===
    Chest / Biceps
    Chest
    1. Flat Bench Press (BB or DB) - 3x12
    2. BB Incline Bench Press - 3 x 12
    3. Flat DB Fly’s - 3x10
    4. BB Decline Press 2 x 10
    Chest = 122 reps

Triceps
    1. BB Triceps Extension - 3x10
    2. BB Close Grip Bench Press - 3x10
    3. Cable Pushdown - 2x10
    Triceps = 80 reps

===Tuesday===
    Abs
    1. Ab Crunches 3 x 20
    2. Twisted Crunch 3 x 20
    Ab's 60 reps
    Obliques 60 reps

===Wednesday===
    Legs / Shoulders
    Legs
    1. Lever 45° Leg Press - 3x12
    2. Lever 45° Calf Press - 3x12
    3. Seated Leg Press -3x12
    4. Sled Seated Calf Press - 3x12
    Quads = 72 reps
    Calves = 72 reps

Shoulders
    1. DB Shoulder Press -3x10
    2. DB Side Lateral Raises - 2x10
    3. BB Bent Over Raises - 2x10
    4. DB Shrugs - 3x12
    Shoulders = 70 reps
    Traps = 36 reps

===Thursday===
    Back / Triceps
    Back
    1. DB Bent-over Row - 3x12
    2. Wide-grip Lat Pull Down - 3x12
    3. Seated Cable Rows - 3x12
    4. Close Grip Pulldown - 3x12
    Back = 72 reps
    Lats = 72 reps

Biceps
    1. BB Curl - 2x10
    2. BB Preacher Curls - 3x10
    3. Seated Incline DB Curls - 3x10
    4. DB Hammer Curls - 1x10
    Biceps = 80 reps

===Saturday===
    Abs
    1. Ab Crunches 3 x 20
    2. Twisted Crunch 3 x 20
    3. Variety of pushups 3 x20 - this is for some endurance
    Ab's 60 reps
    Obliques 60 reps

No. if the weight is behind your neck, that is a injury waiting to happen. Put it on your chest. Also, I notice you your reps are kind of high, Try the- 6-8 reps and if you don't like it, try goin lower/higher. Here are some other things I would change as well:

===Monday===
    Chest / triceps
    Chest
    Flat Bench Press (BB or DB) - 3 sets
    Incline Dumbell Bench Press - 3 sets
    Dips (EAING FOWARD) 2 sets
    Flat DB Fly’s 1 et
    BB Close Grip Bench Press - 3 sets
    BB lying Triceps Extension 2 sets
    Cable Pushdown 1 set

===Tuesday===
    Abs
    Weighted Ab Crunches 3 x 20
    Twisted Crunch 3 x20
    Hanging leg raises 3 x 20

===Wednesday===
    Legs / Shoulders
    Legs
    SQUATS 3 sets
    Stiff legegd deadlifts 3 sets
    Lever 45° Calf Press - 3 sets
    DB Shoulder Press -3x10
    DB Side Lateral Raises - 2x10
    BB Bent Over Raises - 2x10

===Thursday===
    Back / biceps
    BB Bent-over Rows 3 sets
    Wide-grip Pullups ( palms facing foward and weighted if it can be done over 10 reps) 2 sets
    Deadlifts 3 sets
    One armed Dumbell rows 1 set
    BB Curls 3 sets
    DB Hammer Curls 2 sets
    Preacher curls 1 set (alternate with incline curls)

if you havea nymore questions/rpoblems, just psot.

hey thanks for all your help...

Just one more thing lets say I do 8 - 10 repetitions, on my last rep should i be intensly struggling to lift the weight?

I know form is more important then the amount of weight, but how intensely should i be doing my workout.

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The routine sycho suggested is good. You may wanna add in 2 sets of leg press or hack squats on leg day and you may wanna put traps in there somewhere, maybe during legs, shoulder day.

Just one more thing lets say I do 8 - 10 repetitions, on my last rep should i be intensly struggling to lift the weight?

I know form is more important then the amount of weight, but how intensely should i be doing my workout.
    Yea that's good. Work out as intensly as possible, but with good form.

No problem. On my last set, if I know I won't be able to complete the desired amount of reps with good form, I'll lower the weight a bit.

Smile

Thanks for all your help Sychokid and bignbuff , I'm off to the gym to do my back/arm at the gym, since i have missed this workout on Thursday...

Thanks for all your help Sychokid and bignbuff , I'm off to the gym to do my back/arm at the gym, since i have missed this workout on Thursday...
    Good luck and I hope you had your pre workout meal .

No problem. Good luck!