baboyako has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Deadlift breathing

Hello, I've been doing deadlifts for about 3 months now. My question is: do I hold my breath when lifting (it seems that my core is firmer when i do that rather than breathing) or exhale/inhale? I'm not quite sure. thanks.

Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ustein has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    it's like anyother lift, while you are in the pulling phase exhale. then when you deload the weight inhale

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by momod
    valsalva manuever/breath as it applies to powerlfiting..

Take some deep breaths as you get psyched to make your pull, fill your belly with air grip and make your pull, you can hold your breath initially as you explode, but you should slowly let breath escape through pursed lips as you do the remainder of the pull.

The air in your lungs and stomach and your TVA of course can really support your spine and lower back well, far better then a belt. You dont want to be holding your breath through the pull, just at the most difficult part, the beggining. Once you start raising the bar let the breath escape slowly.

try it..

Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    I do hold my breath momentarily at the start but once it's passing the traditional mid-shin sticking point I start letting it out very slowly and then I exhale forcefully to lock it out.

"The Valsalva is a technique that the vast majority of humans will use anyway until "professionally trained" personnel interfere. If your car runs out of gas in an intersection, and you have to push it out of the way or get killed, you will open your car door, put your shoulder on the doorframe, take a great big breath, and push the car. You will probably not exhale except to take another quick breath until the car and you are out of the way. Furthermore, you will not even think about this, as many millions of years of your species pushing on heavy things has taught your central nervous system the correct way to push. "Professionally trained" personnel probably do it this way too, yet they insist on ignoring the good advice of their DNA while in the weight room. "... Mark Rippetoe

Originally Posted by John Prophet
    when you get to heavier weights and you need some "oomph" the valsalva help

I did powerlifting all last year...definitely learned all about valsalva

basically you just hold it until you pass the sticking point

lets say a heavy squat....here is how I might do it...and this would be a well established routine that you do the same everytime

put hands on bar----lean head under bar....wiggle up under bar and get it in the right spot on the back

now at this point it is all about "tightness"...you have to sort of get tight before you unrack it...its hard to get tight after its unracked

so you take a nice big breath in....not in your chest...more in your gut

basically I would usually get the breath BEFORE I start to descend....I would do the valsalva...hold the breath down to the bottom...explode out of the hole... as I start to pass the sticking point I start to let the air out

because of course it increases blood pressure etc....if you hold it too long youll know it, lol

on deadlifts you might have to sort of let a little of it out on the way up or you might pass out...so for deads its slightly different

a good rule of thumb....on bench you ought to be able to do a triple while still holding that first breath....if you were to, say, blow the breath out when the bar is right on the chest youd lose like half your power

if you are doing reps on squats....like the 5x5...then you have to breath in between reps obviously...but try to stay tight in the body....I like to breath in at the top I think, before I start to come down

also...with a nice gut full of air you increase you "intra abdominal pressure" (IAP)...this helps to keep your low back disks in place etc.....for instance if you blew all the air out and THEN did a deadlift youd have less protection against low back injury

that gut full of air helps keeps things from moving around in the back etc....I guess its sort of like packing material when shipping a package, lol
    Last edited by Canadian Iron; 10-02-2006 at 05:35 PM.

ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ThePook has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "on deadlifts you might have to sort of let a little of it out on the way up or you might pass out...so for deads its slightly different"

can someone elaborate that? You inhale when you bring the barbell down, and then you exhale as you move it back up? I dont understand where we have to "let a little out"?

ALso the sticking point is the point in time when you use most of your strength to lift that weight right?

Thanks.

SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SoaringSwine is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Hold your breath!
    My PL training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=115903511