redoctober has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redoctober has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redoctober has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redoctober has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redoctober has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redoctober has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Adjusting program for Muay Thai training?

I've started Muay Thai (Thai Boxing, in terms of exercise similar to regular boxing), and am trying to figure out how to modify my workout program to better fit this. At the moment, I'm just doing Rippetoe (actually, I just started, I was doing body-weight and dumbell exercises for the most part before) and some stretches. I'm also starting to jump rope every day for some ten minutes now. Now, the questions:

Given that on Wednesdays and Fridays, I'm tired (but not dead tired) after Muay Thai, does it make more sense to "finish myself off" and keep doing Mon-Wed-Fri Rippetoe, or would it be better to do something like Sat-Mon-Thu, to be able to push myself further? This is not too great though, since I'd be somewhat sore at Muay Thai and that could impede me. (I don't think it's a big deal though, as a beginner, I'm not that sore on the day after, for now at least)

Also, I mentioned that I'm jumping rope now. For this, does it make sense to do it every day, or three times a week, or something in between? Also, should rope be done right before, right after, or some time away from weights? Finally, I've heard that shoes are absolutely necessary for jumping rope, but at Muay Thai no shoes are needed since it's on mats. On thin carpet, should I/will I hurt myself if I don't wear shoes?

Third question--flexibility training. I've been doing bend-forwards and sideways splits to the point of intense pain and holding for 15 seconds, once, and hands meeting behind back to the point of discomfort and holding for 15 seconds. I'm guessing this is not a good complete stretching program, but I searched and did not find anything on the topic. How should I add to/modify what I am doing?

Finally, diet: I'm pretty much following a non-intense bodybuilding diet at the moment. I'm getting my body weight in protein (lbs/g) from meat, fish, milk and diary (3 gallons of skim milk a week), and peanut butter, I don't get too much fat (I'd say under 50 grams a day, I need to keep track though), and I only eat high-GI carbs in anything but very small amounts after a workout. Also, I drink around 5 liters a day of water and milk. The mentioned high-GI carbs are honey, chocolate, and other assorted desserts that don't look like total junk in small amounts (right now, oatmeal chocolate-chip cookies). I don't take supplements of any sort other than multivitamins at the moment. Is this bad? Also, does my diet look good?

Edit: Also, I'm going to return to pushups, and other bodyweight exercises that I pick up, since these are good for boxing from what I hear.

Thanks for the help, any response is appreciated.
    Last edited by redoctober; 10-02-2006 at 02:52 PM.