dinkster_7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help Bulking For Hockey

I spent the last 7 months rehabbing my knee after I had my ACL reconstructed, and im being fitted for a brace so that i can come back to competitive hockey. I am in very good aerobic condition and have good speed and quickness. However, I am quite small and my overall strength is lacking. I havent had too much luck with my current routine. Any help in regards to building muscle mass with relatively low body fat would be great, thanks.

5'8", 155 lbs.
    Training for 3 months
    Looking to build fairly lean muscle mass, strength and stability. (especially leg strenth and stability!!)

Current routine:

Day1: legs/ shoulders

legs: interval training on bike
    squats 3x10
    leg press 3x10
    leg ext 3x10
    leg curls 3x10
    calf raises 3x15
    various minor balance exercises

shoulders: shoulder dumbell press 3x10
    shoulder flies 3x10
    front dumbell raises 3x10
    shrugs

Day 2: back/biceps

back: pullups 3x to failure
    seated row 3x10
    dumbell row 3x10
    lat pulldowns 3x10

biceps: preacher curl 3x10
    dumbell curls 3x10
    hammer curls 3x10

Day 3: Chest/Triceps

Chest: Bench 3x10
    Incline Bench 3x10
    Decline Bench 3x10

Tris: Dips 3 to failure
    tri exts 3x10

I also core evercises every workout day, just being crunches and side crunches. I eat healthy, but have not been seriously monitoring my diet for calorie intake etc. I use muscle juice supplement containing protein carbs and fats once a day. I have been experiencing gains in mass and strength periodically, and very inconsistently, noticing very little difference if any
    in my lifts. I usually work out alone, so getting assisted reps is not really an option, is this crucial to my development? ANY help in any of these areas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sickdevildog1 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dinkster_7
    I spent the last 7 months rehabbing my knee after I had my ACL reconstructed, and im being fitted for a brace so that i can come back to competitive hockey. I am in very good aerobic condition and have good speed and quickness. However, I am quite small and my overall strength is lacking. I havent had too much luck with my current routine. Any help in regards to building muscle mass with relatively low body fat would be great, thanks.
    How's your anaerobic endurance look? I'm guessing hockey is a sport where you need powerful bursts aswell as aerobic conditioning. Check out tabata intervalls and burpee conditioning here under the articles section:
    www.rosstraining.com
    Windsprints are a good thing for anyone to do aswell.

5'8", 155 lbs.
    Training for 3 months
    Looking to build fairly lean muscle mass, strength and stability. (especially leg strenth and stability!!)
    If your looking for stability you should focus on unilateral movements:
    All Lunge variations
    Stepups
    Pistols (One legged squat) http://www.powerathletesmag.com/pages/pistols.htm
    Farmer walks
    Waiter walks
    Single legged Deadlifts

Current routine:

Day1: legs/ shoulders

legs: interval training on bike
    squats 3x10
    leg press 3x10
    leg ext 3x10
    leg curls 3x10
    calf raises 3x15
    various minor balance exercises

shoulders: shoulder dumbell press 3x10
    shoulder flies 3x10
    front dumbell raises 3x10
    shrugs

Day 2: back/biceps

back: pullups 3x to failure
    seated row 3x10
    dumbell row 3x10
    lat pulldowns 3x10

biceps: preacher curl 3x10
    dumbell curls 3x10
    hammer curls 3x10

Day 3: Chest/Triceps

Chest: Bench 3x10
    Incline Bench 3x10
    Decline Bench 3x10

Tris: Dips 3 to failure
    tri exts 3x10
    Ditch the Leg curls and do Glutham raises
    Ditch the Lat pulldowns and do chins/pullups
    As a matter of fact, ditch the entire routine and start ripptoe's Starting Strength and do your unilateral and core (core as in your bodie's core)excercises between A and B workout days
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752
    I dont think athletes should be doing splits by bodyparts, Olys plus your big lifts is the way to go if you want a strong foundation of strength to build your house on.

You need to do the big lifts to get the most out of your workout, you're young man get a good foundation in the big lifts and you'll be set for the future:
    Squats
    Deadlift
    Rows
    Overhead Press
    Bench
    Dips
    Chins
    Snatch (Do them from the Hang if you've never done them before)

I also core exercises every workout day, just being crunches and side crunches. I eat healthy, but have not been seriously monitoring my diet for calorie intake etc. I use muscle juice supplement containing protein carbs and fats once a day. I have been experiencing gains in mass and strength periodically, and very inconsistently, noticing very little difference if any
    in my lifts. I usually work out alone, so getting assisted reps is not really an option, is this crucial to my development? ANY help in any of these areas would be greatly appreciated. Cheers
    Your core is basicaly made up of your hips, glutes, lower and middle back, and abs.
    You're cutting yourself short by doing only ab excercises and thinking you're working your entire core. The big lifts hit your core like nobodies business.

These bodyweight excercises hit your core pretty good IME:
    Hypers
    Reverse Hypers
    Superman variations
    Proneflutter kicks
    Full contact twist
    Dragonflag
    Hipswings
    Good mornings

Here's some articles on Hockey drills and conditioning:
    http://athletes.com/fun/hockeytrain.htm

Good luck with your training Youngbuck.
    Semper Fi

★★★ Jason Genova is gonna make it Crew ★★★

★★★FAITH in Humanity Restored Crew★★★
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=150516403

Misc Fire Team 2:
    Johnnybomb;DonMegaR;NotMeAgain;armymuscle01;girlygirl;sickdevildog1;MIH-XTC;awds;Sable Strenua;The Big E