5'5" - 164 lbs - 23 years Cyrus317's Avatar
    Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Fat cells and Estrogen production: linkage?

Alright, well, I'm not new, but I've been away for a LONG time now. For those of us not quite as dedicated as the Amateur and professional BB community, we realize that sometimes life gets in the way. I have made it to the gym still about 5 days a week, but that's neither here nor there. On to the topic:

Quite a few years back I remember hearing a report on the morning news that stated that scientists had found a linkage between fat cells and estrogen production. I BELIEVE the report stated that excess (not sure what this word choice indicates) fat cells caused the body to increase estrogen production in BOTH males AND females. Now, I'm no docter, and my course on physiology are limitted, but I had been of the impression that the only way a MALE could produce estrogen was by aromatization of testosterone, and that women produced estrogen through the function of the ovaries. This would mean that for fat to influence this production, there would need to be some sort of multi-step reaction (A causes B, and B in turn causes C; C then acts on D to produce effect X).

I am a bit skeptical about the science linking fat and estrogen; however, my unscientific observations would support this theory. For instance. Fat males tend to form (please excuse this most crass expression) "bitch tits." This appears to be a growth function similar to that in improper steroid usage, in which estrogen is produced (although this time because of elevated "perceived levels of testosterone") by the body in amounts that are in excess of the actual testosterone levels, thereby resulting in a chemical imbalance in which certain female characteristics take hold (like the development of mammory tissue in the breast).
    Likewise, females possessing high levels of fat (during the formative stages of puberty) have been shown to have a propensity for an increased size in their mammory glands. For a more layman's approach to this, simply read the bios on models that are "well-endowed." Often, they will have claimed to be overweight during their teen years.

Again, these last conclusions are in no way scientific, and that's why I'm here... I'm wondering if anyone has any more information on this topic that they could share with me, preferably with citations to back up their claim. I would also appreciate any links to articles or threads that seem to support one side or the other.

MODS: If this thread has been placed in error, please move it to where it belongs. I was tempted to put it in the "Supplemental Science" section, since it was more scientific oriented, but as I was unable to directly link it into a supp (I suppose I could have linked it to an AI, but that would be an extreme stretch), I did not.

Thanks again,

~C.G.
    ~C.G.
    "Train today for the Trials of Tomorrow."

"If you find something you love, set it free...
    If it flies away, lock onto it with a cruise missile, fire, and shoot it down in flames."
    -Unknown

Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Robby Coker is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Also, certain prescription drugs can cause hormonal imbalances such as estrogen imbalances.

If you lose a lot of weight/fat, then estrogen levels should get lower.

amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Adipose tissue is the greatest peripheral source of aromatase in both males and females contributing to the production of estradiol.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adipose_tissue

I'm pretty sure the thought that fat producing estrogen is wide spread. I read at one time that fat cells have some kind of aromatase on their membranes. Beats me though, I'm too lazy to look it up.

5'5" - 164 lbs - 23 years Cyrus317's Avatar
    Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Cyrus317 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    still looking for anything a bit more substantial than this. Not much detailed, scientific info out there it seems.
    ~C.G.
    "Train today for the Trials of Tomorrow."

"If you find something you love, set it free...
    If it flies away, lock onto it with a cruise missile, fire, and shoot it down in flames."
    -Unknown