Thread: Keto Breath?

JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Keto Breath?

How bad does it smell? Can you avoid it with gum or mints?

Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you breath should not smell. Thats a symptom of ketoacidosis which is totally different. your urine will smell because thats were your liver will dump excess but ketones won't be flooding your body high enough to cause your breath to change.

Are you detecting a change in your breath?
    "F*ck. I'm about to be part of the highlight reels aren't I?"

Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Jason762 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ermm... You DO get keto breath. I don't know if others can smell it, but I know I can certainly taste it.

Just like how RANK ass bad breath can be tasted, so can keto breath.

I notice keto breath especially after hard cardio exercise and in the mornings after sleeping.

Yes, gums and mints can be used, but make sure it is sugar free as it can kick you out of keto. Also, some people have reported being kicked out of keto with artificial sweeteners, but I myself have had no problems with it.

Honestly don't worry about it. Girls will be too busy noticing your new hot bod to give a s**t about your breath.
    "To win any battle, you must fight as if you were already dead." - Miyamoto Musashi

Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tuxd has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You're not properly hydrated. Being dehydrated is the number one cause of bad breath. Keto is making you dehydrated from the water you are losing. Just drink alot more water.

Trust me, if they can smell ketones on your breath, it would be like a yeast smell. Smells like ethanol, grain alcohol, like from alcoholic beverages or acetone. The people that get this are diabetic folks that have have ketoacidosis, a severe form of ketosis. It's so severe that you blood pH will drop because your body is flooded by it. This is not the same thing as a ketogenic diet.

JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JayKid is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thank you... I haven't gotten started with the diet yet, well I guess right now (2 fried eggs and some jalapeno cheese) would be my first keto meal. I was just curious about ti since I'd heard you get bad breath from it.

Well, I drink a lot of water, so hoepfully I don't need to worry about it then. Thanks.

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Keto breath is slightly fruity smelling. Obvious if you know what to look for, but nothing that will get you kicked off a bus. If it starts smelling like acetone, then you need to start looking at your diet and water intake.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Jason762
    Ermm... You DO get keto breath.
    Jason is right.

It is NOT ketoacidosis, I've been at this for YEARS and it is very normal.

It's perfectly normal for ketones to be excreted through the breath and urine and to an extent sweat.

I occasionally suffer from it, I am FULLY hydrated and I am not diabetic (I know how to check since my brother is one).

To say it's ketoacidosis is scaremongering without knowing the facts!

Originally Posted by chimponarope
    Jason is right.

It is NOT ketoacidosis, I've been at this for YEARS and it is very normal.

It's perfectly normal for ketones to be excreted through the breath and urine and to an extent sweat.

I occasionally suffer from it, I am FULLY hydrated and I am not diabetic (I know how to check since my brother is one).

To say it's ketoacidosis is scaremongering without knowing the facts!
    chimp, I do know the facts. read my second post. if you say you have ketones in your breath, I'll believe you. But at no time did I say he had ketoacidosis, I'm not a doctor. I said he was not properly hydrated. If you look closely at the symptoms he mentioned those are exactly when you are most dehydrated.

I was in fact attempting to alleviate the fear of bad breath. But thats ok.

And chimp, I am diabetic. thanks.

chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chimponarope is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Tuxd
    chimp, I do know the facts. read my second post. if you say you have ketones in your breath, I'll believe you. But at no time did I say he had ketoacidosis, I'm not a doctor. I said he was not properly hydrated. If you look closely at the symptoms he mentioned those are exactly when you are most dehydrated.

I was in fact attempting to alleviate the fear of bad breath. But thats ok.

And chimp, I am diabetic. thanks.
    Ok you inferred it was possibly ketoacidosis (look at your first reply).

If my post came across as aggressive I apologise, but stick around here long enough and you'll soon get sick of people shouting ketoacidosis and interchanging it with normal ketosis. When we both know it is impossible to get to ketoacidosis in a non diabetic person (diagnosed or not) since the biofeedback loop will release insulin taking you right out of ketosis via a glucagon release.

How do you find ketosis with diabetes?

Star Fleet Gym Manager startrek's Avatar
    startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500) startrek is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When I'm on a ketogenic diet, my breath smells better. I think it's because there's no sugar to feed the bacteria in my mouth at night; in the morning I'm actually kissable. I do think water is the key. It's harder to stay hydrated on a ketogenic diet, but if you drink a lot of water, you shouldn't have breath that a stick of gum or piece of parsley can't handle.
    ***Don't make keto dieting so damned complicated. At least 65% of calories from fat. No more than 25g of carbs per day. Eat when you're hungry. Stop when you're no longer hungry. End of story.***

m0rpheus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0rpheus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0rpheus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0rpheus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0rpheus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) m0rpheus has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have bad on keto for 2 weeks. Every since being on Keto my girlfriend says I have the worst breath she has ever smelt.

Any tips to get rid of the bad breath. I Will start drinking more water !

jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by m0rpheus
    I have bad on keto for 2 weeks. Every since being on Keto my girlfriend says I have the worst breath she has ever smelt.

Any tips to get rid of the bad breath. I Will start drinking more water !
    Sugar free gum
    Contest Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146273283&p=911273403&posted=1#post911273403

Twitter: FrigginLean
    YouTube: Jaim91

Unless you faint, puke, or die....keep walking
    - Jillian Michaels -

xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Sorry to bring this thread back, but I just want to confirm that keto breath isn't ALWAYS there, right? Because I had it for a few days and I confirmed it was keto breath with the ketostix, but now it's very very faint if present at all (maybe a mental thing?) while the ketostix are registering very faint, if registering at all...

However, I am urinating a lot and feel like I need a lot more water, and I am sticking to the diet pretty well, so I'm pretty sure I'm in ketosis (I'm losing weight in an awkward pattern, though). I just want to make sure that keto breath isn't a required sign..
    we sacrifice.

jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000) jaim91 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by xtrell View Post
    Sorry to bring this thread back, but I just want to confirm that keto breath isn't ALWAYS there, right? Because I had it for a few days and I confirmed it was keto breath with the ketostix, but now it's very very faint if present at all (maybe a mental thing?) while the ketostix are registering very faint, if registering at all...

However, I am urinating a lot and feel like I need a lot more water, and I am sticking to the diet pretty well, so I'm pretty sure I'm in ketosis (I'm losing weight in an awkward pattern, though). I just want to make sure that keto breath isn't a required sign..
    Pretty sure you're there. How long has it been since you started? Not everyone gets all the symptoms
    Contest Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=146273283&p=911273403&posted=1#post911273403

- Jillian Michaels -

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Keto breath is the body excreting excess ketones in the breath. Once you've been doing the diet a while, your body stops excreting them and uses them for energy, so you have fewer ketones available to stink up your breath. And of course, if you drink lots and eat plenty of green veg, that will counteract the stink effect anyway.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10) xtrell is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Okay good, it looks like everything is in place then, thanks... A week and a half, jaim. I just did the ketostix again after I posted that and my ketone level was higher than it was yesterday and the day before, so that was encouraging too.
    we sacrifice.

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    hmmm i've definitely noticed it before, can't really smell it but has a sweet sort of metallic taste.
    @__@

Okay good, it looks like everything is in place then, thanks... A week and a half, jaim. I just did the ketostix again after I posted that and my ketone level was higher than it was yesterday and the day before, so that was encouraging too.
    After a week and a half, if you've been prety strict, I'd say you're doing great!

- Jillian Michaels -

Originally Posted by grapemaster View Post
    hmmm i've definitely noticed it before, can't really smell it but has a sweet sort of metallic taste.
    I actually like the smell of it, I'm thinking because it brings into my mind encouraging thoughts since it means Ketosis is working. I normally suck at cutting diets and can't be strict for too long without giving in.

Thank you jaim. Thanks for all your help, too (and Eileen). This bulletin board is such a great resource.
    we sacrifice.

grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000) grapemaster is just really nice. (+1000)
    I actually like the smell of it, I'm thinking because it brings into my mind encouraging thoughts since it means Ketosis is working. I normally suck at cutting diets and can't be strict for too long without giving in.

Thank you jaim. Thanks for all your help, too (and Eileen). This bulletin board is such a great resource.
    i agree keto is much easier to stick with as far as cutting i find that u still lose the weight even if u were to keep calories the same. atleast for me, i've always been a big meat eater and wasn't brought up on sweets... only thing i do miss is chips and stuff but had already cut that stuff out, so missing brown rice and oats... and replacing with more meat, lol lot easier for me this way (except if eating out then it becomes a bit harder)
    @__@

I normally suck at cutting diets and can't be strict for too long without giving in.

That's what the carb ups are for my good man!

- Jillian Michaels -

cc_power has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I noticed it for the first time this morning even though I am in keto for a week now. Its just that I was out with friends and didnt drink enough water and drank a sip of alchohol and when I woke up I was even more dyhydrated. I assume its normal to have keto breath in the morning. I would fix it tho I usually drink 10 liters water a day. Its bad when not at home tho - walking around with a 2L mineral water