Thread: Keto Problem

rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Keto Problem

Hi all,

Been trying to do a Keto diet for the past 6 days, so in my first week of routine. (Before this I was just doing low-carb). I'm basically on carb-free if anything contains carbs, I don't have it basically. In total I probably have less than 20grams a day- just from food sources which are practically unavoidable.

Got hold of some ketostix today and did a test, and apparently im NOT in ketosis (negative test). Which is strange, as i've practically had no carbs for 6 days. Was planning on having my re-feed day tomorow, but now i'm just not sure!!

Any help would be great

mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10) mc4_a is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Are you drinking a lot of water? At you testing in the morning?

Registered User ira_est_a_donum's Avatar
    ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ira_est_a_donum is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    sometimes it takes up to 2 weeks to get into keto... i dont use stix, i can pretty much tell from the smell of my sweat, urine and breath.... a combo of all 3 is a good indication... plus trust the science and do the right macros and youll be in keto soon enough... try another week without carbing up... I did 3 weeks before my 1st carb up bc I didnt crave carbs at all...and mcts and caffeine handle my workout energy needs so I am doing fine that way...and so ill pretty much do a carb up each month when a birthday comes up or something.....

so do another week without carbs and up the fats and drop the protein a little, as it converts to glucose past a certain amount... and then try the keto stix again after next week

rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rhysox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i drink a hell of a lot of water and peeing every half hour probs! and no, didn't test in the morning, was about 3pm today.

i'm not sure whether i can last another week without carb up day. i'm absolutely CRAVING carbs! maybe my macros are wrong. i do get bad breath a LOT too so bit confused. and was actually devastated that i 'wasn't' in ketosis today

today- 250g protein/175g fat/max 20g carbs

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by rhysox View Post
    today- 250g protein/175g fat/max 20g carbs
    Too much protein and not enough fat.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you were doing low carb before, it's quite possible you have spent a fair bit of time in ketosis without realising it. That, combined with a lot of water, could mean that you don't register on ketostix.

Try testing again directly after a workout, or first thing in the morning. But don't sweat it. If you think you need a carb-up, go for it.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

ok so maybe say 200g fat, 200g protein be better? maybe some more?

i'll try first thing in the morning. just really wanna know that i'm doing it 'right'. like some of you have said, maybe my macros aren't perfect, but it's all trial and error. nobody is exactly the same but thanks for all your replies so far!

Bulking from 175lbs-250lb bobbybuilder1's Avatar
    bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bobbybuilder1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Keep fat high for 2-3 days with trace carbs and 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight and you should hit ketosis pretty fast, however Ketostix are not the most reliable tests in the world, I feel I must mention.

Badass in the making MegaAlmighty's Avatar
    MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10) MegaAlmighty is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It sounds like you are taking guesses at what your stats are. If you can post up your weight, height, and Body Fat %... you can be helped out more directly.

If you, like many newcomers to keto (myself included), and dieting in general, are paranoid about whether you are in ketosis or not... I would track down every single thing you put in your body... down to the ingredient even. It can also be possible that you are consuming something that can prevent you from entering ketosis. Or maybe your ratios are not in tact.

Also, I wouldn't rely on ketostix at all... If you eat at least 1g of protein per lb of LEAN MASS... and everything else fats, you WILL enter ketosis.
    No excuses.

thanks guys.. my stats- 180lbs, 6ft tall, and body fat approx 11%. got 9 weeks till i go away and want to be about 7-8% if possible! having a re-feed day today, aiming for 200g protein + 500g carbs with little fat. then gonna have two weeks without a re-feed and drop the carbs very low, have about 170-180g protein and 200g fat/day. should give me about 2500 calories. with cardio and workout- should see a deficit of about 500 calories/day. this sound good?