yaga has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

help me out, please! workout question...

i recently started lifting again and ideally, i would like to both add size as well as get ripped/cut. i was told a long time ago to do 4 sets of 6 reps of whatever exercise i did (since my main goal was to get bigger), all at the same weight, and when i am able to complete all 4 sets of 6, then i should increase the weight a little until i could complete all 4 sets again.

i tried this method, and since it was the first time that i had seriously lifted, i actually saw pretty good results. however, i noticed that i was the only person that i knew (hs then, and even later in college -- amongst my friends) that did this. since it seemed to work, i didnt change it. most of my friends were doing like 4 sets of 10 or something like that. they also did a pyramid type of lifting system.

anyway, i am trying to get back into shape again, but i am beginning to wonder if 4 sets of 6 reps would offer the best results, or if 10 reps and/or a pyramid system would be better.

also, how many different exercises should i be doing? if i only do 4 sets of 6, but i do 4 different exercises for the same muscle, is it really much different than doing 8 sets of 6 reps of only 2 diff exercises?

also, how long should i rest between sets, and how long should my workout be each time i go to the gym?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    Last edited by yaga; 01-23-2003 at 12:25 PM.

Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bignbuff has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Re: help me out, please! workout question...

Originally posted by yaga
    i recently started lifting again and ideally, i would like to both add size as well as get ripped/cut. i was told a long time ago to do 4 sets of 6 reps of whatever exercise i did (since my main goal was to get bigger), all at the same weight, and when i am able to complete all 4 sets of 6, then i should increase the weight a little until i could complete all 4 sets again.

i tried this method, and since it was the first time that i had seriously lifted, i actually saw pretty good results. however, i noticed that i was the only person that i knew (hs then, and even later in college -- amongst my friends) that did this. since it seemed to work, i didnt change it. most of my friends were doing like 4 sets of 10 or something like that. they also did a pyramid type of lifting system.

anyway, i am trying to get back into shape again, but i am beginning to wonder if 4 sets of 6 reps would offer the best results, or if 10 reps and/or a pyramid system would be better.

also, how many different exercises should i be doing? if i only do 4 sets of 6, but i do 4 different exercises for the same muscle, is it really much different than doing 8 sets of 6 reps of only 2 diff exercises?

also, how long should i rest between sets, and how long should my workout be each time i go to the gym?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
    As far as your reps go, try both and see what works well for you. What works well for your friends isn't necessarily gonna work well for you.

It really doesn't matter how many exercises you are doing, just make sure you are hitting all the parts of the muscle. Ex. If you do all bench presses for chest you're going to have an underdeveloped upper chest. Just concentrate on how many sets you are doing though.

Workouts shouldn't last more than an hour in the gym. I like to rest 1-2 minutes between sets.

If you have more questions feel free to ask em.

Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Mike Mahler has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

All of the programs have some merit

4x6 works well and so does 3x10, 10x10 etc. Try each one for 3-4 weeks and then switch it up. Your body adapts quickly anyway, so you need to switch it up to keep making progress.
    Mike Mahler
    www.mikemahler.com
    mahler25@yahoo.com