Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

For Size, How Many Times A Week Should I Workout???

I'm trying to find a steady and result proven program for me. I'm trying to workout for size. Right now, I workout 5 days a week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, & Sat). I see people that either have the same amount of days as me, but I also see those that skip a day after every workout (ie. Mon = Workout, Tues = Off, Wed = Workout, Thurs = Off). I'm wondering what would be good for size. They say that your actually growing when you rest, so i'm thinking that the second schedule listed would work. I just don't know since I see people in my gym working out for size 5-6 days a week. Makes me think I should do the same. Please help. Once again, i'm working out for size (mass).

BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BigStew is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    for putting on size I would stick with 4 days a weeks for a few months then add a day for a month and then move back down to 4 if you ever start to feel that you are overtraining move the 4 down to 3 and if the symptoms persist take a week off.
    Top Secret Nutrition
    Vice President of Sales
    Alex@TopSecretNutrition.com

Contest Prep Coach
    Workout and Nutrition Programs
    AlexBigStew@gmail.com

Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    EAT for size.

It doesn't matter what program you are on, if you aren't EATING FOR SIZE then you are not going to get much closer to your goal.

If you workout hard, and eat appropriately, then size will come.

Don't get me wrong, there are some programs that seem to have more of a size effect than others, but the people that gain the size get it from eating like a horse even though they may train like a jackass.

This is my opinion and suggestion based on personal experiences and observations.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some programs for you to try.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    "Humility comes before honor"

Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mr. Cruz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by BigStew
    for putting on size I would stick with 4 days a weeks for a few months then add a day for a month and then move back down to 4 if you ever start to feel that you are overtraining move the 4 down to 3 and if the symptoms persist take a week off.
    Keep in mind that i've been training for size for over a year. A year and 6 months to be precise.

Originally Posted by Bringindapain
    EAT for size.

It doesn't matter what program you are on, if you aren't EATING FOR SIZE then you are not going to get much closer to your goal.

If you workout hard, and eat appropriately, then size will come.

Don't get me wrong, there are some programs that seem to have more of a size effect than others, but the people that gain the size get it from eating like a horse even though they may train like a jackass.

This is my opinion and suggestion based on personal experiences and observations.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some programs for you to try.
    Interesting theory.

I feel it's 50/50. Training is just as important as eating. I don't have an eating problem btw. I eat just right.

Originally Posted by BigStew

Also, I have a question on your advice....

What days would this translate to??? Meaning, on what days do I workout if I only workout 4 times a day??? Give me an example.

Also, is this advice assuming that it's for a different body part a day??? Being total body workout by the end of the week??
    Last edited by Mr. Cruz; 09-21-2006 at 08:24 PM.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Cruz
    Keep in mind that i've been training for size for over a year. A year and 6 months to be precise.
    How so? What have you done?
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bringindapain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Interesting theory.

I feel it's 50/50. Training is just as important as eating. I don't have an eating problem btw. I eat just right.
    So......for someone who has been training for size for over a year, then how come you aren't getting the results you want? Probably because you aren't eating "just right".

gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000) gogz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    do Bill Starr's 5x5 and get your diet perfect

gogz

Originally Posted by gogz

gogz
    I'll second that.

Originally Posted by Lencho
    How so? What have you done?
    I've gained over 40 pounds in a year.

I do for size, total body.

Originally Posted by Bringindapain
    So......for someone who has been training for size for over a year, then how come you aren't getting the results you want? Probably because you aren't eating "just right".
    That's a debatable statement your making. Eating food alone won't make you grow. You will only get fat.

Originally Posted by gogz

gogz
    Bill Starr??

r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) r_graz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Bill Starr??
    They're talking about Bill Starr's 5x5 program (as arranged by madcow2):

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...Linear_5x5.htm

That's a debatable statement your making. Eating food alone won't make you grow. You will only get fat.
    When did I say eating food alone would make you grow? Care to put my words back into the correct context.

All I am reinforcing is that it doesn't matter what kind of program you are on, if you don't eat for size then you are not going to gain much size.

You say you believe training and nutrition are equal to each other ("50/50" were your words). The reason I disagree with you is because you aren't training 50% of the day. You are most likely training 10% of your day. The rest of the day is spent eating and recovering.

I am not trying to start an argument with you or debate, just giving you my tips from my personal experiences and observations of other lifters.

Look at the 5x5 program. That program and eating big, will give you more mass.
    Last edited by Bringindapain; 09-22-2006 at 09:12 AM.

ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000) ldskenpo is just really nice. (+1000)

5 days a week

I lift 5 days a week
    mon chest
    tue-back
    wed-off
    thu-shoulders
    fri-arms
    sat- legs

but i also eat ALOT, i eat the meals served to the privates( army chow-yum) and i also eat 3-4 snacks throughout the day.averaging 4000 calories a day- i think

zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10) zpnq is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    IMO fullbody workouts 3 times a week, like Madcows take on Bill Starrs program, or HST. I believe training more often with less volume each workout is better.
    The most dominante way of training (from what i see at the gym) is body part splits, working each part one time a week really really intensly. This does work, but not as well as working a body part 2-3 times a week much less each time.
    Having the muscles grow in 2-3 smaller trainings through out the week, rather than one huge hammering, makes sence to me.

Also from what i have read targeting the entire body each workout provides a better environment for growth (hormonaly). I am not a scientist so i cannot be sure of this, but from my personal experiace i get better growth on Bill Starrs intermediate 5x5 than on a 4 day split.

Diet is very important as well, you need to get lots of calories. If you are wanting put on weight in the form of muscle, you need to eat like what would make you put on fat if you were not training. Eat like you are trying to get slowly fatter, but becuase you are training that weight will be muscle , not fat.

Regardz,

zpnq.
    Last edited by zpnq; 09-22-2006 at 12:21 PM.

chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250) chuckiechuck has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

i dont think you should come here ask for advice and then debate the advice given. There are 3 things that make a positive bulking. Rest! Food! Exercise! Not necesarily in that order. If you slack on any of these you will decrease your bulking potential. You should search each of these and pick the best formula that will work best. The best rest. The best diet. And the best routine.

Freestyle Bodybuilder bigcityboy's Avatar
    bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Try Starting Strength

I'm trying to find a steady and result proven program for me. I'm trying to workout for size. Right now, I workout 5 days a week (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, & Sat). I see people that either have the same amount of days as me, but I also see those that skip a day after every workout (ie. Mon = Workout, Tues = Off, Wed = Workout, Thurs = Off). I'm wondering what would be good for size. They say that your actually growing when you rest, so i'm thinking that the second schedule listed would work. I just don't know since I see people in my gym working out for size 5-6 days a week. Makes me think I should do the same. Please help. Once again, i'm working out for size (mass).
    http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow...nts_thread.htm

Muscle Physiology Junkie Nwlifter's Avatar
    Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) Nwlifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    people that gain the size get it from eating like a horse even though they may train like a jackass
    LOL!! Nice! I call this quote of the day LOL

Originally Posted by chuckiechuck
    i dont think you should come here ask for advice and then debate the advice given. There are 3 things that make a positive bulking. Rest! Food! Exercise! Not necesarily in that order. If you slack on any of these you will decrease your bulking potential. You should search each of these and pick the best formula that will work best. The best rest. The best diet. And the best routine.

Ummm, I don't think you should twist **** around. I debated what he said because I say what you have said right now.

There's no need for you to give me opinions on what I should do

Originally Posted by chuckiechuck
    i dont think you should come here ask for advice and then debate the advice given.
    ....other than the advice I asked for. Now, lets stick to that.
    Last edited by Mr. Cruz; 09-22-2006 at 10:02 PM.

Originally Posted by zpnq
    IMO fullbody workouts 3 times a week, like Madcows take on Bill Starrs program, or HST. I believe training more often with less volume each workout is better.
    The most dominante way of training (from what i see at the gym) is body part splits, working each part one time a week really really intensly. This does work, but not as well as working a body part 2-3 times a week much less each time.
    Having the muscles grow in 2-3 smaller trainings through out the week, rather than one huge hammering, makes sence to me.

Also from what i have read targeting the entire body each workout provides a better environment for growth (hormonaly). I am not a scientist so i cannot be sure of this, but from my personal experiace i get better growth on Bill Starrs intermediate 5x5 than on a 4 day split.

Diet is very important as well, you need to get lots of calories. If you are wanting put on weight in the form of muscle, you need to eat like what would make you put on fat if you were not training. Eat like you are trying to get slowly fatter, but becuase you are training that weight will be muscle , not fat.

Regardz,

zpnq.
    Thanks

Originally Posted by ldskenpo
    I lift 5 days a week
    mon chest
    tue-back
    wed-off
    thu-shoulders
    fri-arms
    sat- legs

but i also eat ALOT, i eat the meals served to the privates( army chow-yum) and i also eat 3-4 snacks throughout the day.averaging 4000 calories a day- i think
    Lol, we got the same schedule.

Originally Posted by Nwlifter
    LOL!! Nice! I call this quote of the day LOL
    Tell me about it.

Registered User FaisalHoney2011's Avatar
    FaisalHoney2011 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Mr. Cruz View Post
    4 times a week. (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) (Mon: Chest Triceps, Abs) (Tues: Back, Biceps, Forearms) (Thurs: Shoulders, Traps) (Fri: Legs, Abs)
    f@!$@L

tarzzan has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    5000 calories per day minimum.. 5-6 days per week hit the gym. When you eat make sure your are eating high protein foods. Your protein intake should be 1.5grams for every pound you weigh. EXAMPLE- 100 lbs = 150grams per day. Most of you protein should come from food. Take your protein shake about 3-4 times per day specially right after your workout. Stay away from sugar. To much sugar will keep your body from gaining muscle mass during your sleep. Your body produces growth hormone while you sleep past the 5Th hour but if your sugar is to high it will minimize the growth hormone by a lot. pick 2-3 body parts the you want to make grow better then the rest because you need to work those out twice per week. Make sure you let 72hrs go by before you work out the same muscle again. You need to let your muscle heal. Do this for 3 months then you could take a whole week off the gym without doing no exercise for those 5 days. You want your body not to get over trained. When you workout you must do heavy weight. get someone to spot you. You must do at maximum of 5 reps by yourself then a 3-5more with your spotter helping you.

zacharydfrench has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the help. And just some advice people don't come to read these posts to here you guys BITCH at eachother. Leave some friendly advice to people that need it and leave it at that. Thanks for some of ur guyses help.

Registered User Havinfinebody96's Avatar
    Havinfinebody96 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    "the people that gain the size get it from eating like a horse even though they may train like a jackass."

Good quote + I had nothing else to do! = That picture
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Havinfinebody96; 12-20-2012 at 06:04 AM.