dratta is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Full Body workout + Martial Arts

Hi All,
    This is my first post so apologies if this is not the correct spot. I exercise using my work gym, we have a decent collection of dumbbells, bench and a squat rack.

I have been doing a full body workout for some time, it has severed well for the most part however, due to high volume and poor form i have injured my left shoulder (impingement).

I am resting to allow my shoulder to recover and decided to write up a new program based on OLINERULES87 routine.

I made a few adjustments to try and prevent further injuries, the program is:

Monday (Sets 4)
    Squats x 8
    Bench Press (Supernated grip) x 8
    Kneeling Side Lat pull down (2 sets x 8)
    Laying Alternating Dumbbell Row (2 sets x 8)
    Bent Over Rear Lateral Dumbbell Raise (Neutral grip) x 8
    Barbell Bicep Curls x 8
    Side Bends (2 sets x 4)
    V-Ups (2 sets x 4)

Wednesday (Sets 5)
    Deadlifts x 5
    Single arm Lat Pulldowns x 5
    Bench Press (Supinated Grip) x 5
    Dumbbell Rear Delt Row x 5
    Lying Dumbbell Tricep Extension x 5
    Hammer Curls x 5

Friday (Sets 3)
    Lunges x 12
    Pushups x 12
    Barbell Shrug Behind The Back x 12
    One-Arm Incline Lateral Raise (Neutral grip - Slightly bent over) x 12
    Dumbbell Skull Crushers x 12
    V-Ups x 12

On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday i do Japanese Jujutsu (Martial Arts).

My goal is to try and put on some mass / strength, not over work my muscles to injury and not impede my martial arts training.

Should i consider lowering my gym routine to twice a week?
    Would a bi-weekly rotation routine be a good idea? Eg.
    WEEK 1: Gym 3 times a week, martial arts 2 times a week
    WEEK 2: Martial arts 3 times a week and gym 2 times a week

I still have a few concerns with some of the exercises above eg One-Arm Incline Lateral Raise - I am afraid of getting another injury. Any alternate exercise advice or routine recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks.

fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    My initial impression is that deadlifts look a little high... I don't know how much you are lifting now, but if I did that I would have 0 energy for the rest of my workout.

Also, you're doing rep ranges of 5 for your bi / tri on wednesday, which I guess is good to cover bases of rep ranges, but I'm not sure that small muscles respond as well to heavier weights as they would to the 8-12 like in your other days.

Also also, I think that most any exercise "behind the back/neck" is probably not worth it compared to something else, because of the higher risk of injury... Given your shoulder injury, you should almost definitely find a different exercise IMO.

I can't comment on overall balance / structure, other than Monday has 8 exercises instead of 6, and overall volume seems a bit high (in addition to MMA training), but those first three things did pop out at me and would be worth consideration.

Hope this helps, and stay strong!
    Fluid's happy-sunshine-bright-feeling-for-you Fierce5 log -- now with REAL cheese!
    https://tinyurl.com/fluidzF5

Hey FluidZ, thanks for the quick reply.

I have never been much of a lifter with deadlifts. Deadlifts do take a toll on my forearms though.

I chose the Barbell Shrug Behind The Back as i struggle to find exercises that engage my traps and rhomboids. Open to any replacement exercise here that you may have to suggest.

Putting on muscle has never been easy for me and i do feel full body workouts give better results. I am concerned that I am over training, are you/anyone able to offer any advice regarding volume based on my lifestyle/routine?

Did you have any thoughts about the bi-weekly rotation?

Dave.

fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) fluidZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dratta View Post
    I chose the Barbell Shrug Behind The Back as i struggle to find exercises that engage my traps and rhomboids. Open to any replacement exercise here that you may have to suggest.

Putting on muscle has never been easy for me and i do feel full body workouts give better results. I am concerned that I am over training, are you/anyone able to offer any advice regarding volume based on my lifestyle/routine?

Did you have any thoughts about the bi-weekly rotation?

Dave.
    If you feel like you are overtraining, then you likely are. You need to deload if you haven't, most people say around 6 weeks, but 4 or 8 weeks are options as well.

If you are a "hardgainer" it likely is because you aren't eating enough calories or protein, or an issue with your testosterone (much less likely).

All of that training makes me think you need minimally 3000 calories, but I was up to 4400 calories when I was working out every day just to maintain, not grow. You could be even higher than that... You won't know if you aren't meticulous in your counting and estimations.

I'm actually hoping someone will answer with some good info for your programing, because I am planning to start doing martial arts again as well.

Also, there may not be a more effective exercise than the behind the back (there may be though), but the point is balance efficacy with safety IMO, because you are 0% effective when you are injured

You can find pretty much any exercise under the sun here, by body part or by muscle:

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

As for the rotation, personally, I like to do things as often as I can.. so I would probably be doing my punches / kicks etc every day. As far as when you go to your dojo, you would ideally schedule that around when the classes / open mats are.

I would suggest doing the martial art work not directly before strength training though, or it will likely ruin your lifts.

Sorry I can't give detailed specific answers. I'm still new to the programming thing

Talking to the instructors at your local dojos would probably be able to give you decent advice as well. There is also a forum here to do with sports, that could be another place to post as well, or another website with a forum more devoted to martial arts.

Here's hoping someone here with more experience will post a good answer though
    Last edited by fluidZ; 08-22-2017 at 05:00 PM.
    Fluid's happy-sunshine-bright-feeling-for-you Fierce5 log -- now with REAL cheese!

Originally Posted by fluidZ View Post
    If you feel like you are overtraining, then you likely are. You need to deload if you haven't, most people say around 6 weeks, but 4 or 8 weeks are options as well.

If you are a "hardgainer" it likely is because you aren't eating enough calories or protein, or an issue with your testosterone (much less likely).

What do you mean by deload?

I think i am more a hybrid hardgainer lol, i can put on fat easily but finding a nutritional balance to increase gains vs fat is the hard part. The other thing i noticed is if i stop training for a week everything feels so much heavier when i get back into it. That is why i hate stopping lol.

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you don't know what deloading is, the last thing you should be doing is making up your own workout routine. Pick a beginner full body linear progression routine and run it as written for several months as your starting point.

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    If you don't know what deloading is, the last thing you should be doing is making up your own workout routine. Pick a beginner full body linear progression routine and run it as written for several months as your starting point.
    I gotta agree with this. Figure out how many days a week you're gonna lift (whether that's 2 or 3) and then stick to it with a solid programme that covers all of the major compound lifts, with planned progression.

Also, I did Japanese JuJitsu for 10 years. Absolutely love it. Good to meet another practitioner as it's one of the less known/popular disciplines and it makes me rage when people assume I'm talking about BJJ, which as you'll know has absolutely nothing to do with JuJitsu
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

OP, I'm going to agree with the two above as well at this point

Go to your dojo, then do the gym workouts on your off days. If your days overlap, do your strength training first, then your MA... or if you can do MA in the morning, then str at evening, do that.

Thanks all for the sound advice.

To be honest i did not know that a "deload" was essentially lowering weights/resting. I usually take a 1 week break every 12 weeks. My guess is that i am not doing this frequently enough, could be why i have quite a few aches and pains.

Due to the gym i use i am limited to machines etc, so i tried to make a program that had as many compound exercises that i could utilise whilst keeping my injury in mind.
    Last edited by dratta; 08-23-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    Would you be able to recommend a solid 3 day routine i can work with based on my limited gym equipment and injury?

Originally Posted by dratta View Post
    Would you be able to recommend a solid 3 day routine i can work with based on my limited gym equipment and injury?
    Do Viking. You are just going to have to find near-equivalent machines instead of the barbell work though. Leg press, chest press, etc, if the Smith Machine is too much for you.

Here is a good list of machine only exercises and sample workouts (but mostly just to find the most useful machines):
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wotw43.htm

There is also ExRx which will lists machines (but not necessarily the best ones):
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Also, IMO, don't do a 3x5 plan, because the weight is heavier (thus maybe hurts more), and machine work tends to have benefits in the 8-12 range due to the ability to exercise variations. IMO make your 8-12 reps harder.. go slower (4-5 seconds per rep), try dropsets, do some to failure.. Machine work has a few advantages, so you may as well use them

It may not mesh 100% with Viking, but try it out and see how you can work some of that in if possible (since Viking isn't intended for machines).

Also, try to look for people with your similar injuries and what their doctor / physical therapist had them doing (or talk to one yourself)... there could be specific exercises to strengthen the area / surrounding area that could be beneficial.
    Last edited by fluidZ; 08-23-2017 at 08:57 PM.