GhettoCountry has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry Weird Wrist Pain

Hi, I have just recently been working out (started two weeks ago) and I have recently been having wrist problems when I go to curl. Now, I checked my form and everything and its all correct, however, around the 5th set and the 5th rep my wrist begins to sting and burn horribly, and my hand goes somewhat numb.

This strongly affects my curling routine and I have to lower my sets and reps. Now, keep in mind, its just my RIGHT wrist, my left wrist dosen't affect me at all. So, whats the deal? Is my wrist strained or hyperextended or something else? Any help on this would be appreciated.
    "Put one foot in front of the other."

norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50) norxcal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    If you're new to lifting your body might not be used to it. How heavy are you going on your sets? If you go too heavy you might be putting too much stress on your bones before they have time to adjust. I would suggest that you don't go too heavy and ice the wrist.

Well, because I am real small (and have just jumped back into working out) I have been doing the standard ten pounds.

double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Are you doing barbell curls, some people find them painful, i used to have great pain in my left wrist when doing them. If it is barbell curls that are causing you pain then just do EZ bar curls instead, they're easier on the wrist and you can come back to barbell curls when you and your bones and joints are stronger.
    "Before you cut, get something to cut around" - Me

"If you think you're eating enough, YOU'RE NOT" - nutsy54

Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100)
    I have accually had that same problem about a month ago. It was very painfull but i just used a lighter weight and it got better but if you want it to go away dont do any curls for a week. Also i was using cable machines and those were fine same as pull-ups

Misc Veteran Since '06 Le Derek's Avatar
    Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000) Le Derek is a name known to all. (+5000)
    out of curiosity...are results beter with barbell or ez bar curls??

i do ez bar cuz my wrist gets pain as well and i cant curl as much weight with a barbell
    I actually live in South Florida

*Keto Guy*

Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100) Drakster is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by Le Derek
    out of curiosity...are results beter with barbell or ez bar curls??

i do ez bar cuz my wrist gets pain as well and i cant curl as much weight with a barbell

i personally like ez-bar i feel it gives me more of a pump

double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) double__j has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    There are threads about which is better do a search, i believe the conclusion was do what feels best to you. I find EZ bar curls more comfortable but i think barbell curls work my bi's better.
    "Before you cut, get something to cut around" - Me

"If you think you're eating enough, YOU'RE NOT" - nutsy54

I use dumbbells, however I will definatly keep the bars in mind. A small question about that I have is when you put a set weight on the bar, do you also count in the weight the bar gives, or do you leave that out?

@Drakster: If I go lighter, won't that affect my growth? and if I do it a couple of pounds lighter, will it eventually strengthen up?

akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) akhter has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Thumbs up Do Not Worry

It Is Normal, I Had The Same Wrist Pain When I First Started. It's Just That The Lower Fore Arm Is Not Used To The Pressure, After A Month Or To It Will Adapt, I Know The Pain Can Get A Little Annoying In Bettween Workouts, What You Can Do Is Wrap Something Around It ,like Cloth, But Dont Make It Too Tight.

So lifting through the wrist pain won't cause no irreparable wrist damage? Thanks dude, I was starting to worry if I was getting carpal tunnel or something.

Dedicated and Consistent CRAZYandINSANE's Avatar
    CRAZYandINSANE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CRAZYandINSANE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by GhettoCountry
    Hi, I have just recently been working out (started two weeks ago) and I have recently been having wrist problems when I go to curl. Now, I checked my form and everything and its all correct, however, around the 5th set and the 5th rep my wrist begins to sting and burn horribly, and my hand goes somewhat numb.

This strongly affects my curling routine and I have to lower my sets and reps. Now, keep in mind, its just my RIGHT wrist, my left wrist dosen't affect me at all. So, whats the deal? Is my wrist strained or hyperextended or something else? Any help on this would be appreciated.
    From experience, I can tell you that you need to switch to an EZ curl bar, or else you will get a serious case of tendonitis. You should take a week off from curls and then go back to the gym. You want to lift for the long term, not only for the short term.
    "If you puke, then grab a spoon little man, cause those are calories in the toilet".

federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50) federaldb59 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ive been lifting for about 3 years now for football and everytime i do dumbell curl my wrist has a popping sensation followed by what feels like an electric shock. i asked my mom whos an R.N. and she said it may be an early sign of carpultunnel. ask your coach or whoever or see a doctor.
    -------Mar 1st - June 1st fat loss competition-------
    03/01 (240) | 03/08(239) | 03/15 (239) | 03/22(238) | 03/29(236) | Month Total: 4 lbs.
    04/05 (---) | 04/12 (---) | 04/19 (---) | 04/26 (---) | Month Total:
    05/03 (---) | 05/10 (---) | 05/17 (---) | 05/24 (---) | 05/31 (---) | Month Total:
    06/01 (---) Final weigh in.

Originally Posted by federaldb59
    ive been lifting for about 3 years now for football and everytime i do dumbell curl my wrist has a popping sensation followed by what feels like an electric shock. i asked my mom whos an R.N. and she said it may be an early sign of carpultunnel. ask your coach or whoever or see a doctor.
    Wow, we are preety much alike. I get the exact same sensation of how you describe it, my mom is a R.N. too, but she just thought it was hyperextension. If it is carpal tunnel, is it curable? I don't think it is but still...

I just hate the idea of not curling.

Dedicated and Consistent CRAZYandINSANE's Avatar
    CRAZYandINSANE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) CRAZYandINSANE has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by GhettoCountry
    Can you purchase an EZ bar for home use? I just don't go to the gym all that much, and if I can purchase an EZ bar for home I would do that. So no curling at all for a week?
    Of course you can purchase it. Its not about taking a week off, but rather about making sure that the wrist is healed before you lift. Injuries can be a bltch.
    "If you puke, then grab a spoon little man, cause those are calories in the toilet".

TinTin8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TinTin8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TinTin8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TinTin8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) TinTin8 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    try changing your grip ... instead of the thumb curled around the bar, leave the thumb uncurled so only your 4 fingers are curled ... i had a writs/forearm problem and after i changed my grip things were fine ... i think i was gripping to tight, and ultimatly straining my wrist/forearm way to much
    http://nebberville.com/forums/

JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50) JellyBeans will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ez bar is about $30 I think

@tintin: Thanks, I'll try that wednesday

@jelly: Thanks as well, I was worrying it would cost more.

jakroo99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakroo99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jakroo99 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey ghettocountry i have the EXACT same problem man except i have been using an ez bar and my right wrist hurts like hell...do i need to give it time to rest??? or just go easy on the curls?

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Defiant1
    Totally an individual thing.

Hey wait a minute....did you post something similar in the exercise section? lol

Actually, a couple of things.

There is something called a "valgus" which is an unusual or excessive angling out of an extremity or bone (a bunion is an example of this)

Look into a full length mirror. Let your hands hand down, palms forward. Now, rotate your palms so they are facing straight forward, and your upper arms are straight down (bb curl position).

Some people have a severe angle from humerus to forearm, meaning their forearms don't go straight down, but angle out from the upper arm.

Those WITHOUT a valgus get good results from straight bar curls, those with a slight seem to get good results from the curl bar, and those with a severe valgus should choose DBs.

Different grip widths will hit different parts of the biceps (wide-inner, narrow-outer).

Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Roger999 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you might have this thing, i dunno the name of it but it has something to do with your vains and you have to get surgury on your vains but it causes like a huge burning and stinging pain on your hand if you get that surgery you cant work for like a few months or something, i heard this from my teacher cause she had it

MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MuscleMass has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Strap your wrist and keep trainign i used to have that problem when i started lifting dont worry about it, it will pass mate.
    peace
    "Bodybuilding is much like any other sport. To be successful, you must dedicate yourself 100% to your training, diet and mental approach. "

“I just use my muscles as a conversation piece, like someone walking a cheetah down 42nd Street.”

Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ju5tin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I also have pain when i curl, but in my upper, outer forearm. The pain is a shooting pain sort of. Well actually, its not pain, but it feels kind of shocking. What can I do?