SURV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Train for chin-ups and dips

Ok, the point is that I can't do even one single chin-up or dip. How should I train to be able do a few of them in a while?

Should I get more strength by doing other exercises first? Or should I do something else?

Thanks

Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sadao will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    can do negatives, like not going up/down all the way.
    Height - 6ft
    3/06 - 150lbs (~15-16% bf)
    3/07 - 170lbs (~13% bf)
    12/10 - 185lbs (10% bf)
    8/2012 - 185lbs (~8%) Squat: 340, DL: 405, BP:255, MP: 160
    Journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=963470

PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000) PanzeR- is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you cant do any of em then it might be because you have a bit more fat than your average 16 years old. If thats the case, work on this.

To answer your question, most gym have dipping/chin machine with a counterweight. Really great for those who arent to make decent serie on those exercices.

widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) widebody195 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Try the assisted pullup/dip machine if your gym has one. If not, do negatives or ask for a spotter. Try parallel-grip chinups--those might be easier than pullups. For dips, do bench dips -- in a seated position, support your legs on a bench while doing dips from another bench.

Still admirin Xmas brah? BaSsSiKk's Avatar
    BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BaSsSiKk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can always say just jump on to the assisted machine. Truth is just in order to get good at BW exercises you must do em. Specificity is the key. Every opportunity you get, get on the dipping or pullup station and work on it.

aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000) aqua-beowulf is a name known to all. (+5000)
    If you don't have an assisted machine, you can set a folding chair beneath, and slightly behind you and then rest your toes on it, to give yourself a slight assist. That's how I started way back when. Negatives are good too.

I'd wager as long as you're putting your time in on presses and rows, as you get stronger on them, you'll soon be dipping and chinning bodyweight. Just keep at it.

Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by SURV
    Ok, the point is that I can't do even one single chin-up or dip. How should I train to be able do a few of them in a while?

Should I get more strength by doing other exercises first? Or should I do something else?

Thanks
    If you can't do any of the above, try Lat Pulldowns. It'll work all the same muscles. Try wide grip, close grip, over-hand, under-hand, behind head, down to chest. You'll be more than prepared for when you can do chin's then.

For dips, I'd just stick to plain old bench press, and do some additional work on your weakest part in that lift.

Assertive Guy
    11 March 2007:

Neck: 16.5
    Chest: 48.5"
    Arms: 16.5"
    Thigh: 27.5"
    Calves: 17.5"

Weight: 240lbs

"Sell yourself short on nutrition and you're selling yourself short on maximizing your physique development."

Ernie Taylor
    IFBB Pro

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Assertive Guy
    If you can't do any of the above, try Lat Pulldowns. It'll work all the same muscles. Try wide grip, close grip, over-hand, under-hand, behind head, down to chest. You'll be more than prepared for when you can do chin's then.

For dips, I'd just stick to plain old bench press, and do some additional work on your weakest part in that lift.

Assertive Guy
    If he wants to be stronger on bodyweight vertical pushing and pulling that won't help him, just keep doing both chins and dips. I find I gain easier on dips than chins, but what I did on both was to just keep doing a sets each day and try and add reps to each set, plus a lot of people have gotten good results from the later system or singles, so:

a set of 1, then if you can manage a set of 2, if you can manage a set of 3, something like that until you've gotten a load of reps, EVEN if it takes a while just do them they work.

also maybe lowering your bodyweight is a good idea along with strengthening your grip, a good wrist roller should help with this as forearm endurance is more what you want here on chins: check it - http://strengthcats.com/BNSwristrollerstrap.htm.

also you can do weighted negatives.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

SURV has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for all the replies they are very helpfull!