Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Measure Body Fat in a Swimming Pool

Howdy Folks,

I was out swimming today with my wife and daughter and noticed for about the 18th time that I'm completely unable to float on my back even with my lungs full of air. I used to be able to float, but lately I just sink slowly to the bottom of the pool. I hunted around on the Internet for an explanation and stumbled across the following interesting quote at www.viable-herbal.com/health/health39a.htm:

"...you can estimate your fat ratio by seeing how well you can float on your back in a regular swimming pool: above 25% fat, people float easily; people with 22-23% fat (a healthy level for women) can usually float while breathing shallowly; at 15% fat (low for a woman, healthy for a man), one will usually sink slowly even with a full chest of air; at 13% or less fat, one will sink readily even with a full chest of air, even in salty ocean water."

Sure enough, my calipers say I'm around 15-16% and, therefore, I'm a sinker rather than a floater. I know we've discussed %BF measurement in the past, but I don't think anyone came up with this little trick so I though I'd share it.

Take care,
    Steve

Architect of Aggression One Man Army's Avatar
    One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    so if your in a sitauation where you may drown its best to have some fat on you

Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Stenn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by One Man Army
    so if your in a sitauation where you may drown its best to have some fat on you
    Or, it's good to have someone who's fat UNDER you.

Hawaii Warrior Football! bluescorpion's Avatar
    bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bluescorpion is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I sink like a rock, but my bf is higher than that (I'm female). People have tried to teach me to float but I've never been able to manage it

Finding my Potential empresscat's Avatar
    empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, I don't think that's accurate - having spent many years in swimming pools and seen all kinds of people float or not.

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I see FAT as the antithesis of Bodybuilding.Com. Fat floats....i.e. Ivory Soap. Rigid and flexed fat people can sink unless r-e-l-a-x-e-d. Fat is best measured by the eye....the mirror. That pinch method seems good if you don't have a mirror. Fat is not relative...it's plain ass FAT. I have had some fat around my belly twice in my life....once after a long multi year drunken binge in the '70s where I was about 160 lbs. on a 6' frame but had a beer belly/FAT. I have successfully dieted off most of all my current fat and looking rather good if I must say so. I congratulate all who have been successful on getting their body fat down to respectable, healthy and sexy levels. I encourage all others to do so ASAP.

And remember the photos of the thousands of Croatians and Serbs who were starving during their war in the 90s. Each and every one was bone skinny. Not a single "glandular" "slow metabolism problem" amongst them.

empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000) empresscat is just really nice. (+1000)
    heh - I actually have a glandular problem (pituitary tumor) and wonky hormones (depressed progesterone - or more accurately "unopposed estrogen")...

but I've never used that as an excuse, especially as losing weight improves the latter. Yes, it makes it a little more difficult, but not insurmountable. I hate it when I hear other people with similar problems use it as an excuse, when they eat one meal a day, after work, consisting of three cheeseburgers and fries, and don't exercise.

hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50) hapkido will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Low Bf is best to view not measure.
    When the viens pop out your Bf is very low!

ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) ChocoChick is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by empresscat
    heh - I actually have a glandular problem (pituitary tumor) and wonky hormones (depressed progesterone - or more accurately "unopposed estrogen")...

but I've never used that as an excuse, especially as losing weight improves the latter. Yes, it makes it a little more difficult, but not insurmountable. I hate it when I hear other people with similar problems use it as an excuse, when they eat one meal a day, after work, consisting of three cheeseburgers and fries, and don't exercise.
    EC - do you use natural progesterone at all?

Originally Posted by dbflgirl
    EC - do you use natural progesterone at all?

I did for a while.
    Actually, at the moment, I seem to be doing fine. My periods are sometimes a little late, but they've been mostly OK for a couple of years.

For many years, though, that was not the case.