Thread: Running Shoes?

mnr4evr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Running Shoes?

What are some good options that won't break the bank?!

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    look in the sunday paper. big 5 and other sporting goods stores usually have something on sale for around 50 bucks. asics, new balance and sauccony are typically good buys for your basic running shoe. reebok/rbk, nike and adidas tend to run on the more expensive side, but thats mostly name. at the same time though, i live by some outlet malls (specifically adidas) and can get a good deal on the higher end stuff with micro this and super that. check out the outlet malls (if they are reasonably close), and the stores usually have a good sale on during the weekends. this comming labor day weekend should be a great time to pick something up.

Ecto Bulking....HELP! Problem Child's Avatar
    Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50) Problem Child will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Try some of the cheaper Asics shoes, cheaper but still good quality. I am a big Asics fan but many people I have spoken to feel the same way.

Hope that helps
    "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." - Bon Scott

IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Adidas Adistar Cushion. About $90 but worth every penny.
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 175lbs
    BF%: 6%
    Vertical: 36"
    40 Yard: 4.46 FAT

B.S. Chemistry
    B.S. Microbiology

If I could choose one thing to talk about regarding strength training, it's that LESS = MORE.

Discipline, Motivation and Common Sense

Thanks for the info guys. Still haven't made up my mind, but getting close. Also, is there a shoes that works better for flat feet? I also have a little trouble with the balls of my feet hurting when I run a lot.

IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10) IcyHot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You need a shoe with stability and good forefoot cushioning. Believe me, all shoes are NOT created equal. I suggest you visit www.roadrunnersports.com to find what shoes will work best for you foot profile and weight, then go and find a pair of those shoes on ebay.
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 175lbs
    BF%: 6%
    Vertical: 36"
    40 Yard: 4.46 FAT

B.S. Chemistry
    B.S. Microbiology

If I could choose one thing to talk about regarding strength training, it's that LESS = MORE.

Discipline, Motivation and Common Sense

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Deadly Dingo is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by RockyVI
    Try some of the cheaper Asics shoes, cheaper but still good quality. I am a big Asics fan but many people I have spoken to feel the same way.

Hope that helps
    this man knows what its about... aasics are great, decent versions are 1110s and 2110 are good

however if you pronate or suppinate youll need a shoe that fits this role... 1110s n 2110s help stop you pronating to a certain degree, however the Kayano is the best interms of stopping this and has gel in the forefoot as well for extra comfort... n when i say comfort.. i mean COMFORT!!! so good. if you suppinate then the Nimbus is the way to go, same sorta features just stops you rolling out. but they may be gettin a bit expensive...

jeez i must work in a shoe store

>.>

<.<

DottsBaller5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DottsBaller5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Even though I buy Nike or Jordan for all my shoes, I have heard everywhere, and I mean everywhere, that Asics make the best running shoes.

Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ajaxus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    no offense to anyone, but IcyHot's post is the BEST one in the thread by far. you can search some of my old posts in this forum, i've helped quite a few people find the right shoes.

the problem with buying cheap shoes is that they are cheap quality, and quite often don't provide the proper amount of stability and cushioning that your body requires.

things such as pronation, arch height, and your body weight play HUGE roles in finding the right shoes. you can't have someone say "get blah blah blah shoe" and then go get it. this shoe may work for them (or it may work against them unbeknownst to their knowledge) but it doesn't necessarily have the features that work well for you.

road runner sports and runners world are your two best resources for finding the right shoes. from my own experiences i rank asics, new balance, saucony, and etonics (not sure if they're still in business) above all others when it comes to quality.

you should expect to pay anywhere from $80/pair to $120/pair for a good pair of shoes.

if you buy a shoe not designed for you or your style of running you risk injuries to your ankles, knees, and hips as well as several different muscle groups. it's better to stretch/break the bank getting good shoes than break the bank getting treatment from your doctor for injuries that could have been easily avoided.

pm me if you need more info/advice.
    23 Years Old
    6'2"
    185lbs

Your right, I never knew that there was so many different factors that went into selecting the right shoe. In this case, cheap is not the way to go. From all of the searching I've done, I have narrowed it down to two brands (Asics & Brooks) that seam to be what I'm looking for. First I'm going to go to the Podiatrist to get my feet checked out then I'll go from there.

JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50) JTexas will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    New Balance.

^^Is Part of a Song Title 101101's Avatar
    101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000) 101101 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by mnr4evr
    What are some good options that won't break the bank?!
    Don't skimp on shoes; you're on your feet all day and they take some serious abuse, so it'd be in your - and your feet's - best interest to make a small investment on some decent shoes.
    "Methods are many, and principles are few. Methods often change, but principles never do."
    α ω

Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Nose_tackle_66 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    personally im a huge asic fan. i used them during my basic traing for the army, first pair i had. they lasted for more miles than the other ones that were handed out and in the army you need a good shoe because your feet are your transportation. i curenntly run with a pair that was 45 bucks and everything is way good.
    The misconception is that one dies in the pursuit of their personal limits; in truth, they've found it.

cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cobra5095 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I picked up some nike frees at finish line for $69. Very lite weight and very comfortable, feels like you arent wearing shoes.

Registered User trainTilfailure's Avatar
    trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000)
    i got the nike air max 360 its really comfy but i dont know how much it cost cuz i got it for free

Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000) Daegus is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The best advice I could tell anyone wanting to either take up running or starting running on a different shoe. Go to a running shoe store, not Footlocker, Nike etc.

Generally the people working in the running shoe stores will have to roll up your pant legs if you have pants on, take your shoes off and walk for them to get an idea of shoes that would work the best for you. They should also be checking wear patterns on you're current running shoes and foot type. You don't have to buy shoes right there but you will get a very good idea of what shoe type you need. Also another good thing about many running stores is they will often let you run there when trying shoes on and apon purchaing, will let you return them after a few miles of running if they don't feel right(I've done it a few times because shoes didn't fit right).

With that said, I've always worn Saucony shoes. They've worked the best and literally cured/fixed all the problems I had with my back/legs when running short or long distances(6-8+ miles).

Added advice just incase you don't really run or may be starting out. Try to run on flat paved type surfaces. Tracks will be the best since they are flat. Next option would be sidewalks then paved roads. Try to stay away from gravel or other very uneven surfaces. Also be wiry of roads if that's all you have access to. Many are crowned so rain doesn't free-float on them. If you run one way down a road be sure to run back on the same side. I know you will be going with traffic but you can develope problems if you only run one way on crowned roads.

If you're just starting out try not to run to much the first couple weeks. Maybe one or two miles every other day would be best. If you want to do more cardio switch to something that will put less strain on your joints(Biking, swimming, elliptical machine etc). After the first couple weeks you might want to add distance which is fine but I wouldn't add for more than 10-20% per week.
    Last edited by Daegus; 09-13-2006 at 02:13 AM.

Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mitsuomi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    are puma's good running shoes? or even good shoes to workout in?

v4forlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have mizuno for my running shoes and spikes, great shoe, and only cost me 35 pounds each.
    i will transform myself.
    21 years, 5'10
    30/01/06-185lbs
    27/03/06-190lbs....this is going the wrong way me thinks
    29/03/06-184lbs...weighed at the army recruitment centre...thats a bit more like it.
    after a leg injury, i now back up to body weight squats.

''If you've ever been hungry, youll never be full''

clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10) clevertd is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    New Balance all the way for me, but as has been said, you need someone to analyze your gait. Search google for "Joes new balance outlet", they have great prices on NB shoes that are no longer made.

OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50) OzStriker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am currently using New Balance too, very happy with them.

I found NB and Asics to be the nicest fitting shoes, found Nike horrible.

Eat, Drink and be Merry.. jayvee's Avatar
    jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    mate, my preference is brooks. ive got a pair of the brand new top of the range model, the trance 6, and iv had the past couple of trance models, and while a little pricey, they are the best things around. i find asics, particularly thier top model the kayano, too narrow for my foot, and a little too rigid. but it would also depend on the sort of foot you have. everyone i know who have got a brooks shoe, just love them..