Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is it possible to do Ass-to-grass squatting without...

...leaning forward slightly? And having your knees go out further than your toes? I'd like to improve my form on this....

Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're doing ATG squats you can totally ignore all the ****e about not putting your knees over your toes.

Amount of forward lean would depend on your individual leverage, just keep your back nicely arched, and chest up, and your forward lean will work itself out. Oh and don't use so much weight that it turns into a GM, or I'll track you down and have you killed.
    Professional strength and conditioning coach - Rugby Union

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have noticed I GM the weight more on an ATG Squat than I do in a parallel squat. This problem is ironed itself out the more I ATG squat, and my parallel squat strength seems to be benefiting from it as well.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jr.Bong is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    May I ask, what a "GM" is? I'm not too learned in the lingo...

Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Five has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeh GM means "good morning". Basically when doing ATG squats, it's often the case that your torso gets pushed forward and you end up leaning over too much, so you end up losing your arch in your lower back and having to do a rounded-back good morning to get the weight up. That's not a good idea.

Doesn't sound like it. But yeah, I'm pretty new to doing ATGs. I tried for the first time really, last week, but I forgot the form and only went really far below parallel (not ATG). So now I want to it all down so I can get ATG. XD

I'm going to be doing it for the first couple of times on a Safety Smith Squat Machine, just to get the idea of the form. Any advice for someone about to ATG for more or less the first time?

Don't use the smith machine, that won't teach you good form, it'll teach you how to stay weak and be a ****ty squatter.

I see, anything else I should know?

Yeh here's a few things you should know:

1: Cannabis is bad
    2: Always respect your mother
    3: Damien Marley reads this board and he's not happy with you

I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The smith machine locks you into a unatural line of motion and despite what many in the gym may think, it actually less safe (may more injuries) than free weight squats.

Good form on ATG requires some good flexibility. So don't jump in and force yourself down if it does not feel right. Try to go as low as you can with good form being the priority. I you lose your form there is no point in going that low. Make a goal to get lower each time out and you will eventually get to ATG with good form. Get your back tight and arched before unracking, and keep it that way through the entire lift. Also, do NOT point your toes strait ahead. Point them slightly outward. I find about 30 degree feels best for me. I have also found that I can get lower with a more narrow stance. I currently work on widening my stance a little at a time with the goal to get wide in a few months and still be going very low.

You will get there soon no rush. Just take it one workout at a time.
    Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MetalMikeXVI has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    At first ATG is going to seem weird and make you feel weak if you're used to parallel (or worse...), but I find adaptation occurs quickly. I started with triples on 135, then I did 5 or 6 hard reps, now I'm doing breathing sets of 20...over the course of about a month...go figure.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    check this website for videos http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm

you have to search for "upper leg/hip" exercises

the dude with the bandana does some crazy ATG squats etc

as far as keeping upright and shins vertical etc....I think a lot of that has to do with flexibility..plus of course strength....the olympic lifters that can do the deep squats while staying upright etc have extreme flexibility and strength

this here is pretty solid form on an "olympic" squat, he has the bar high on his traps and stance not too wide http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm

here he is doing a back squat....bar a little lower....I am guessing the feet are a little wider...therefore he sits back more with the butt and leans forward more with the upper body.....but this allows him to keep the shins almost vertical http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm

I would think it would be hard to keep the shins vertical with the feet narrow in a deep olympic style (ATG) squat.....when you see olympic lifters squat they usually have some forward knee lean

of course body proportions also come into play

here is a nice deep front squat http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm
    "Humility comes before honor"

Originally Posted by Five
    Yeh here's a few things you should know:

1: Cannabis is bad
    2: Always respect your mother
    3: Damien Marley reads this board and he's not happy with you
    GJ for catching it all.

And thanks to everyone else for their help!