elm826 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Exclamation How To Boost Vertical

Hi I'm a 5'7 15 year old I play basketball my goal is to be able to dunk I started doing crossfit recently to see if the would help ( I can skim the rim now) any1 have any tips

Jumps over a bar for fun Highjumper21's Avatar
    Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Depends on your experience level with lifting and physical fitness

Lets assume you have no experience

I'd suggest doing a beginner full body routine. Google will have plenty of full body routines. You should do that for a few months to get your body used to physical stress and to get your body in "shape". After a few months of this I'd suggest slowly transitioning into a weight lifting routine. You can build your own or find some beginner ones online. If you choose to make your own I'd suggest you are absolutely positive to hit all your muscles through out your workout split (a split is your cycle of days on and off, so if I have a 5 day split I may workout days 1,2,3, and 4 and have day 5 off then start back at 1) you need to have all your muscles worked so you don't develop any muscular imbalances. Developing any type of muscular imbalance will **** you up. So just make sure, for example, if you are doing lower body that if you work your posterior chain to include all the muscles that's your glutes, hamstrings, lower back, and all the others in your lower posterior chain. Then you must also include the compliment muscles to those, some are your quads, front hip flexors, and abdominals this is a part of your lower anterior chain. (There are many many more muscles to be included those are just for an example because many people forget hip flexors and lower back)
    Also be sure not to leave any out, so many people want a sweet six pack so they train their front abdominals but they forget about their inner abdominals and their obliques and their lower back. This will lead to muscular imbalances.
    Also be sure to train muscles that support other muscles. So a lot of people want big biceps so they do isolation exercises, you should do more compound exercises. The difference is isolation only works a specific muscle while compound exercises work a specific muscle and stabilizers and other muscles in the chain you are working. Isolation exercises will help building size (assuming you're doing hypertrophy training) but you won't gain functional strength. The compound exercises will give you functional strength (assuming you are training for strength)
    You should learn about the body and how muscles interact with each other and how they make you move. You should learn how, for example, your core helps you move your thighs, you should learn how your glutes and hamstrings affect your posture and how your quads and hip flexors effect your posture so you can learn how to train them (again just examples)
    I don't know if you know elliot hulse (watch his videos if you don't) but he said "you should learn how your hormones affect your muscles, you should learn how the foods you eat affect your hormones, you should learn how the thoughts you harbor affect how you digest the food you eat"

When you do start lifting you really need to keep the weights low and develop proper form them gradually build up weights. Do this so your body is properly aligned and actually healthy and so you don't have any imbalances which will **** you up.

So this was just a quick over view on what I think you should do. If you want any more advice from me i love to help and we could start talking more about how to train for dunking type abilities. If you think I'm an idiot and don't care what I have to say that's good too.

elm826 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the reply I'll defiantly try this out n take all the muscles into consideration I will message you if I need further help

Jumps over a bar for fun Highjumper21's Avatar
    Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000) Highjumper21 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by elm826 View Post
    Thanks for the reply I'll defiantly try this out n take all the muscles into consideration I will message you if I need further help
    Sounds good

JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JTringer has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Easiest thing? Stretch your hip flexors religiously. Long term? Do what longjumper said