Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sheriff will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Silly Dermotologist - or what? He says I can't increase weight when lifting?(accutane

I was recently speaking with my dermatologist about accutane, he told me bluntly to stop lifting weights if I wanted to use it.

When I told him I couldn't do that he told me I was already muscular enough and asked me why I would want to get anymore muscular, I told him I had certain goals I wanted to meet. Then he told me if I did want to continue to lift weights I should stop increasing weight...

Then he asked me if I was taking whey protein powders, to which I answered yes. He told me bluntly as well to quit taking this if I wanted to use accutane..

Any oppinions on this B.S.? Or is it legit??
    ►I ALWAYS REP BACK

Be rugged. Be a hard worker. Be all that your 70 years on Earth will allow you to be. Help others. Strangle your ego into submission.

Be a true Man, not a guy.

-Balanikus (Richard Morgan)

_Otis_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have gone through the same thing here mate.
    The legit part is keeping your body weight the same (give or take a few kg's) as the amount of drug they prescribe you is based on your body weight, so in my opinion its not worth screwing with.

The weight lifting thing is more a comfort thing for you, the drug has side effects by increasing joint pain and its recommended that intense training activities can increase the pain even more. Some people find it doesn't effect them others do so the balls in your court on that one.

The whey thing is not true (correct me if I'm wrong). I more see this as a scare tactic to get you off they whey and hence stopping or reducing the addition of body weight.

Hope this helps

Architect of Aggression One Man Army's Avatar
    One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) One Man Army has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Well did you ask why not?? And for him to elaborate more...

RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500) RRTier3 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Dont ever stop lifting !

tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by _Otis_
    I have gone through the same thing here mate.
    The legit part is keeping your body weight the same (give or take a few kg's) as the amount of drug they prescribe you is based on your body weight, so in my opinion its not worth screwing with.

The weight lifting thing is more a comfort thing for you, the drug has side effects by increasing joint pain and its recommended that intense training activities can increase the pain even more. Some people find it doesn't effect them others do so the balls in your court on that one.

The whey thing is not true (correct me if I'm wrong). I more see this as a scare tactic to get you off they whey and hence stopping or reducing the addition of body weight.

Hope this helps

it's true that accutane causes joint pain/discomfort, but there are good reasons for discontinuing a protein supplement. it's the job of the physician to advise the patient to take the safest route to the goal (i say goal in this case because it's nothing more than acne he's combating).

accutane puts a lot of strain on the kidneys; it is not recommended to drink while on accutane for a good reason. it can weaken the kidneys, and having to filter protein and protein metabolites would not be desirable. whey is digested fast, and can put extra stress on the kidneys.
    2007 INBF Long Island Experience:
    1st Place Novice Lightweight & Overall
    Best Legs
    ----------------------

Disclaimer: The above can at best be considered an opinion or an offering of advice, and should be treated as such.

GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) GJWrestle878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Accutane has recently been under a lot of scrutiny for causing extreme depression and many people blame it for a number of teenage suicides. I am not joking at all. Accutane is now forced by "them" to have a label on the product describing these side effects. Just be careful with Accutane. Know about it before u start taking it.

TENNIS SPARTAN-FREE XIL3 Mansewerz's Avatar
    Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000)
    what is accutane? based on my knowledge atm, listen to the doctor, he didn't (or she) go to medical school for nothing, they know what they're talkin about.

Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sheriff
    I was recently speaking with my dermatologist about accutane, he told me bluntly to stop lifting weights if I wanted to use it.

When I told him I couldn't do that he told me I was already muscular enough and asked me why I would want to get anymore muscular, I told him I had certain goals I wanted to meet. Then he told me if I did want to continue to lift weights I should stop increasing weight...

Then he asked me if I was taking whey protein powders, to which I answered yes. He told me bluntly as well to quit taking this if I wanted to use accutane..

Any oppinions on this B.S.? Or is it legit??
    Did you even bother to ask your doctor why? If not, go back and ask. Don't ask us first, even if we might have the answer. It's your responsibility to ask your doctor.

fenwick458 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    [QUOTE=Mansewerz]what is accutane? QUOTE]

it is used to treat a severe case of acne. just looked it up and it sounds like the cons outweigh the pros.
    "possible severe depression and or suicide?" <<no thanks

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by tweaked17
    it's true that accutane causes joint pain/discomfort, but there are good reasons for discontinuing a protein supplement. it's the job of the physician to advise the patient to take the safest route to the goal (i say goal in this case because it's nothing more than acne he's combating).

accutane puts a lot of strain on the kidneys; it is not recommended to drink while on accutane for a good reason. it can weaken the kidneys, and having to filter protein and protein metabolites would not be desirable. whey is digested fast, and can put extra stress on the kidneys.
    kidney stress from large amounts of protein is a complete myth.

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I currently take accutane.

There is no evidence that it increases depression (from scientitic trials), and certainly has nothing o do with exercise. Accutane is a vitamin-A analog so don't take vitamin A supplements.

Originally Posted by ratmonkey
    Try telling that to somebody with kidney stones.
    Last edited by GregT; 09-13-2006 at 02:06 PM.

tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tweaked17 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ratmonkey

if you qualified that with "... for people without existing kidney problems" i'd agree.

accutane can damage the liver and kidneys. you should not drink while on it, but i didn't say you shouldn't consume protein. excess may not be advisable.

it's a cosmetic thing anyway. i'd rather have the ability to bulk and have a drink once in a while than get a clearer face.
    2007 INBF Long Island Experience:
    1st Place Novice Lightweight & Overall
    Best Legs
    ----------------------

Disclaimer: The above can at best be considered an opinion or an offering of advice, and should be treated as such.

biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) biochemlab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Dosage

The dose of isotretinoin a patient receives is dependent on their weight and the severity of the condition. Generally it is prescribed from between 0.5 mg/kg/day to 2 mg/kg/day (and perhaps most often at 1–1.25 mg/kg/day) for 4–6 months. A second course may be used two months following the cessation of the initial course if severe acne recurs. Efficacy appears to be related to the cumulative dose of isotretinoin taken, with a total cumulative dose of 100–150 mg/kg used as a guideline.

Adverse effects

Most adverse effects resemble vitamin A toxicity. Adverse drug reactions associated with isotretinoin therapy include:

* Common (≥1% of patients): mild acne flare, dryness of skin, lips and mucous membranes, cheilitis, itch, skin fragility, skin peeling, rash, flushing, photosensitivity, nose bleeds, dry eyes, eye irritation, conjunctivitis, reduced tolerance to contact lenses, hyperlipidaemia, raised liver enzymes, headaches, hair thinning, myalgia and/or arthralgia.
    * Infrequent (0.1–1% of patients): severe acne flare, raised blood glucose level, increased erythrocyte sedimentation rate, fatigue and/or mood changes.
    * Rare (<0.1% of patients): impaired night vision, cataracts, optic neuritis, menstrual disturbances, inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis, hepatitis, corneal opacities, papilloedema, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, skeletal hyperostosis and extraosseous calcification.

The following adverse effects have been reported to persist, even after discontinuing therapy: alopecia (hair loss), arthralgias, decreased night vision, degenerative disc disease, keloids (cartilage degeneration), bone disease, depression (in some cases). High dosages of isotretinoin have been reported to cause rosacea.

While vitamin E supplements have been advocated by some to reduce the toxicity of high-dose retinoids without reducing drug efficacy, it does not appear to be effective.

Patients receiving isotretinoin therapy are not permitted to donate blood for at least one month after discontinuation of isotretinoin therapy.

Depression

Several studies have suggested a possible link between isotretinoin and clinical depression. However, no conclusive evidence has been produced. Despite this fact, the possibility that isotretinoin caused depression and suicide has won a few lawsuits, and is partially repsonsible for the strict control of the drug, especially in the US. Various case reports of depression, suicidal ideation, suicide attempt, and suicide in patients treated with isotretinoin have been reported to the U.S. FDA Adverse Events Reporting System, with 431 cases reported between 1982 and May 2001 – of these 37 patients had committed suicide. While analyses have suggested an association between isotretinoin therapy and depression, no causal relationship has been established and further studies are required.

Studies have shown that patients with acne, the population group eligible to receive isotretinoin therapy, have an increased risk of clinical depression compared with the general population. Correspondingly, treatment of severe acne with isotretinoin has been shown to reduce anxiety and depression.

One study utilising positron emission tomography (PET) showed functional brain imaging changes in patients treated with isotretinoin, however the clinical relevance of this finding is unclear.

Drug interactions

The concurrent use of isotretinoin with tetracycline antibiotics or vitamin A supplementation is not recommended. Concurrent use of isotretinoin with tetracyclines significantly increases the risk of idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Concurrent intake of Vitamin A supplementation increases the risk of vitamin A toxicity.

Concurrent use of isotretinoin with methotrexate increases the risk of hepatotoxicity and may increase methotrexate levels. The combination is used with caution and close monitoring of adverse effects and liver function tests.

I think you shouldn't gain weight, about whey - if you drink enough water with your proteins your kidneys will be fine
    Last edited by biochemlab; 08-16-2007 at 04:57 AM.
    There is a building. Inside this building there is a level where no elevator can go and no stair can reach. This level is filled with doors. These doors lead to many places. Hidden places. But one door is special. One door leads to the Source.

(170 cm ) 5' 7''
    (55 kg ) 121lb

Jackson/Pollock 7 Method 2.35%
    Jackson/Pollock 3 Method 2.41%
    Jackson/Pollock 4 Method 1.96%
    Parrillo Caliper Method 7.7%
    Durnin/Womersley Method 4.25%
    Tape Measurement Method 7.41%

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by tweaked17
    if you qualified that with "... for people without existing kidney problems" i'd agree.

accutane can damage the liver and kidneys. you should not drink while on it, but i didn't say you shouldn't consume protein. excess may not be advisable.

it's a cosmetic thing anyway. i'd rather have the ability to bulk and have a drink once in a while than get a clearer face.
    hello captain obvious.

and accutane isn't gonna kill your kidneys either.

Originally Posted by GregT
    I currently take accutane.

There is no evidence that it increases depression (from scientitic trials), and certainly has nothing o do with exercise. Accutane is a vitamin-A analog so don't take vitamin A supplements.

Try telling that to somebody with kidney stones.
    how about i just tell them to keep hydrated so they don't get the stones in the first place.

TENNIS SPARTAN-FREE XIL3 Mansewerz's Avatar
    Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000) Mansewerz is just really nice. (+1000)
    oh yes, now i remember one of my old health teachers telling me about this.

XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) XtremeBody510 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Talking

do not stop lifting!!!its my life!!

MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MCconditioner has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    better advice here than I anticipated.

BTW the worst breakouts I've ever had were when I was taking whey protein. I would suggest removing it from your diet to see if there is any improvement. It isnt needed provided you're getting adequate protein. Dairy also contributes to acnes in some.
    Supplement free,
    healthy eater.

jrckt320 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took it and lifted throughout treatment and took protein. He's a dumbass.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Better solution is just not to take accutane. If you need vitamin A, why not just get lots of carrots and sweet potatoes? I hear all sorts of crap like nosebleeds and dry flaky skin. Honestly, how much is curing acne worth? Must be a different way.