Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Geek Giving Crappy Advice SchemeSC's Avatar
    SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Ripping Toe's and Crushing Captains- SchemeSC's training log

Why hello there you big ,strong, smelly guy! Welcome to my training journal!

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Daniel and I live in the Eastern panhandle of the great state of West Virginia. I've been lifting weights on and off for about the last 2.5 years with some decent results. I started lifting at around age 19 as a skinny, 135 pound geek. Like most beginning weightlifters, I almost completely neglected squats and deadlifts in my training. I spent way too much time working my arms directly and, unfortunately, used bodybuilding splits. Still, even not knowing exactly what I was doing, I did gain some weight and strength, as I now weigh around 160 at a height of 5'7". So now I'm a 160 pound geek instead of a 135 pound geek. Pretty cool!

I'm going to start a new program called Starting Strength, designed by Mark Rippetoe. One reason I think that I'll love this program is because I only have to lift 3 times a week. Rather than spending six days a week training isolation movements, I can lift 3 days a week focusing on my favorite compound lifts. This will also free some time for me to do other things I enjoy, such as reading history (I'm a Social Studies major), tennis, and gaming. My main goal with this program is increased strength and power, but I'm going to eat like a maniac and hopefully gain a little mass too.

Here are my 5-rep maximums that I tested in my home gym, just in case you're wondering:

Bench Press: 155x5 (paused press)
    Squat: 165x5 (almost ATG)
    Deadlift: 165x5
    Military Press: 105x5
    Bent-over Barbell rows: 105x5

My short term goals are a 1 rep-max 225 Bench, 270 squat, and 270 deadlift. Long term goals... who knows? Maybe someday a competitive powerlifter?

Now for the most embarassing confession I've ever made on an online message board. I have amazingly weak, petite, girly hands. My hands and forearms are weak beyond weak. In fact, my hands are so weak that I can't even squeeze a Captains of Crush trainer once ! One of my goals over the next couple months will be to blast through the Trainer and eventually squeeze a #1. My plan is to train my hand and forearm strength 3 times a week on my off days of Starting Strength. I'm just learning the basics of hand strength, so I'm sure my routine will evolve greatly as time goes on.

Well, my first workout of Starting Strength is coming up here in about 20 minutes, so I guess it's time for me to start getting pumped up. Thanks in advance for any input you can give! I could certainly use the help!
    Last edited by SchemeSC; 09-06-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Where do I go from here? BigDerek's Avatar
    BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You have pretty good strength for 160 lb guy. Good luck.

yofidawg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    heh, im in exactly the same boat as you...starting the exactly same program, about the same weight/height, close to the same lifts...good luck to you!

Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nice lifts man. Check out grippermania.com for all your grip training needs. Im sure you will blast through the trainer rather quickly, the #1 will follow in a month or two with the right training. Good luck.
    My Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=111120791

SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10) SchemeSC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the quick responses guys!

ANd the results are in for the first Starting Strength workout, workout A.

9/6/06

Bench Press- 115x3x5 (success)
    Squats- 115x3x5 (success)
    Deadlift- 115x3x5 (success)

Overall, everything went as planned. I started my squat and deadlift weights a little lighter than I had planned due to two slightly, slightly sore glutes. I figure it's always better to undershoot than to overshoot on a program such as this one, especially the first couple weeks.

One thing I couldn't believe was how much of a sweat this workout gave me. Even though I was lifting well below my maxes, I still felt like it was a worthwhile workout. Let me tell you something: Doing squats, deadlifts, and bench press all in the same workout is tiring no matter what weight you work with! Those 3 exercises are killer!

Overall, the bench was about as easy as I expected, the deadlift easier than I expected, and the squat slightly harder. I'm assuming the squats were harder than usual due to the slightly sore glutes. Maybe I shouldn't have done the squats at all?

I didn't do any assistance work this time, but I will probably start adding some next week.

One another minor problem I should note: I am experiencing pain in my wrists whenever I bench press, even when I where wrist wraps. I'm not sure if this is some sort of wrist tendonitis or what. Maybe I need to fucus harder on keeping my wrists straight when I lift!

I may or may not do a hand/wrist workout tomorrow, depending on how my hands feel, so stay tuned!

hah, ill be following yours too.

and i bet ur technique on those deads was better then mine i like to cheat a bit and use too much back...not for long tho.

its nice how we're starting at about the same weights for lifts, too...we're so similar lol

also, i have pretty petite hands too for grip, dont use straps on ur deads, wont be hard and ur grip will get stronger wit ur deads, and do those negatives wit the grippers

keep it up! i know in a few weeks all those numbers will be in the 200s lol...good luck!

Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Chrisx9118 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Nice job with those lifts man. Smart job starting light and working up. Also use a Double overhand grip for your deads as this will train your grip better.
    My Journal:

9/7/06

Today I tried doing some work on my CoC trainer. I'm still not quite able to get the handles to touch, but damn it's so close!

Unfortunately, my hands are starting to feel fatigued and my wrists are in a little pain. The wrist pain is probably due to the fact that I recently took up tennis for cardio. I think I'm going to rest my hands for the next 3-4 days. I am promising myself that I will not squeeze the grippers until at least Monday . I'm feeling the urge lately to just squeeze the grippers everyday, and I need to stop this habit before it becomes a problem. Discipline, discipline, discipline! I'm going right now and putting the grippers out of sight!

Tomorrow is Day 2 of Starting Strength. So stay tuned!

Actually when your starting out i would advise that you use the grippers at least 5 times a week, trying to close your trainer. Do you also use a set when you try to close it?
    My Journal:

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    good looking journal, with you I would advise getting the #1 and the Sport. Crush the sport and hold it for timed sets (5-20 seconds) and with the #1 use both hands, your legs, doesn't matter just get it crushed and then hold it with one hand until you can't anymore, this increased my crushing strength a great deal. However, I would also look into doing pinch work too, liked timed sets pinching plates (if you have the right kind) or a block weight or something, this should give you a well rounded grip, I can close the #1 for 10 reps but I can't bring up 3 10's for **** (working on this) so I say this is a grip balance worth aiming for.

this is a good workout, as madcow says this about his linear 5 x 5, but I think it can be applied here: DON'T **** WITH THE PROGRAM, it will garner the results you want only if you follow it to a T!
    Last edited by GoJu; 09-07-2006 at 02:29 PM.
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

9/08/06

Squats 120x3x5 (success!) Smoked them! I have to admit however that squats are ALWAYS hard. It doesn't matter whether I have 90 pounds, 120 pounds, or 170 pounds on the bar, squats are a struggle. I guess it's just the nature of the exercise. Should be able to make another 5 pound increase for this Friday.

STanding Military Press 75x3x5 (success!) These were definitely not comfortable. I'm experiencing pain in the outside-rear portion of my shoulder. For whatever reason, my hunch is that I have a minor, minor rotator cuff injury. Actually, I've had this nagging pain for about a month and 1/2 now. It's not a severe pain at all, but just enough to annoy me. Progress on Standing Military could be slow. I plan on throwing in some rotator cuff rehab 2 or 3 times a week to see if that helps the problem.

Barbell Rows 75x3x5 (success!) Too easy. Maybe a 10 pound increase for next week.

Originally Posted by Chrisx9118
    Actually when your starting out i would advise that you use the grippers at least 5 times a week, trying to close your trainer. Do you also use a set when you try to close it?
    No, I haven't been using a "set" grip. I have just been picking it up and squeezing like hell. I didn't know what a set grip was until you mentioned it and I looked it up. From now on, I will try to set the gripper. Thanks!

good looking journal, with you I would advise getting the #1 and the Sport. Crush the sport and hold it for timed sets (5-20 seconds) and with the #1 use both hands, your legs, doesn't matter just get it crushed and then hold it with one hand until you can't anymore, this increased my crushing strength a great deal. However, I would also look into doing pinch work too, liked timed sets pinching plates (if you have the right kind) or a block weight or something, this should give you a well rounded grip, I can close the #1 for 10 reps but I can't bring up 3 10's for **** (working on this) so I say this is a grip balance worth aiming for.

this is a good workout, as madcow says this about his linear 5 x 5, but I think it can be applied here: DON'T **** WITH THE PROGRAM, it will garner the results you want only if you follow it to a T!
    Getting the sport would probably be a good idea. Thanks! I just have to consider whether or not I can afford it right now.

9/10/06

Squats- 125x3x5 (success!)

Bench- 125x3x5 (success!)

Deadlift- 125x1x5 (success!)

Today was certainly my worst day out of the three so far. Last night, I did my first night of partying in probably 4 months. I'd say I got 4 hours of sleep last night, and that's a generous estimate. I was busy today as well and I didn't get to lift until 10:00 at night.

Thankfully, I didn't miss any lifts. Once again, the squats were the hardest, followed by the bench press, followed by deadlifts. I'm hoping and praying that my knee ( I tore a PCL ligament several years back) will be able to tolerate all of this squatting and deadlifting.

Also notice how I'm doing the same weight for all 3 lifts. While it is somewhat embarassing that my Bench is the same as my squat and deadlift, I don't expect this trend to last very long. My bench is much more trained than my squat and deadlift, so I expect to see much longer and faster progession on those 2 lifts.

Not too much else to say really. I had a poor night, all the lifts were harder than usual, etc. I'll be back on track by Wednesday, though.

STay tuned for my first ever recorded gripper workout, which should occur either tomorrow or Tuesday depending on how my hands and wrists feel.
    Last edited by SchemeSC; 09-10-2006 at 09:04 PM.

9/13

Squats (ATG)- 130 --> 3x5 (success)

Military Press- 80 --> 3x5 (success)

Barbell Rows- 85 --> 3x5 (success)

Today was a much better workout! Hell yes!

The squats went up 5 pounds but felt no harder than last week. I need to make sure that I don't lean forward on the last rep of the last set, however. Still, I feel like I'm doing a good job of keeping my knees behind my toes throughout the entire lift. I think squats are more of a mental battle than anything else right now.

Military presses felt so much better than last week! I stopped about two inches short of lockout this time, and for whatever reason, I experienced no pain. While stopping short of lockout might not be great for someone looking for power, I'll just have to live with it for now.

I increased 10 pounds on barbell rows from last week. Today was the first time the weight felt even remotely challenging. Probably only a 5 pound increase for next week.

I also did some random grip work on my trainer and #1, but no real set program. It's time for me to lay out a long-term grip program, and actually stick with it!

But for now it's oatmeal and ON time!

heh, i do, ive been doing rows for awile.
    if you wanna up your row strength a lot, do those pull-ups...they are crazy.

looking good there...makin good progress! idk if u do this, but i find that if i put one foot about 6" in front of the other for military presses, they are a LOT easier...give it a try!

keep up the good work! ATG = amazing, i couldnt do 130 atg, no way...i just break parallel by like 1-2" lol. keep it up

9/15/06/

Squats (ATG) 3x5 --> 135

Bench Press 3x5 --> 135

Deadlift 1x5 --> 135

I had a GREAT workout this evening. Before I lifted, I played some tennis with a few friends. We spent the whole time arguing about calls, rules, and generally just bitching at each other. We were all on the verge of fighting, so we just packed it up and quit. This whole scenario put me in a very agitated mood, and I channeled my agression into the weights when I got home.

Today I tried experimenting with my bench press a little bit. I've been trying to figure out how to achieve a proper leg drive. Basically I took an empty bar and tried to push the bar up using no arms, only my legs (I got this idea from an article over at elitefts.com). It sounds weird, but I think it is a good drill for teaching you how to use the legs! I have never used any leg drive in my benching, so this is definitely going to be a long learning process.

Not much else to say. Great workout! Now it's time to eat!

9/17/06

Squats (ATG)- 3x5 --> 140 (success!)

Military Press- 3x5 --> 85 (success!)

Rows --> 3x5 --> 90 (success!)

Ahh, I'm in a hurry and dont have time to write! Today's workout went pretty well! Squats were a killer, while the rows felt easier than normal. Up at least 5 pounds on everything for next time!

Oh and by the way, I finally squeezed my CoC Trainer today. (Lol!) Somewhere, someplace, Jesse Marunde is very, very afraid.

test
    Last edited by SchemeSC; 09-18-2006 at 09:38 AM.

Squats-3x5--> 145 - Squats were hard as usual. This seems to be a recurring theme throughout my journal! Squats are always hard!

I lift at my house with people that are even less experienced lifters than I am. Hence, there's really no way for me to find out whether or not I'm doing the lift properly or not. I think I'm doing my squats properly, but I could definitely use an experienced lifters eye. Maybe I could use a digital camera and film it. Could anyone give me a link that tells me how to get videos onto my computer?

Bench 3x5--> 145 - Smoked these! I'm still learning proper leg drive, however. I'm considering going up 10 pounds next time and trying for my first personal record. Or maybe I'll just stick with a 5 pound jump. We'll see.

Deadlift 1x5 --> 145 - Not exactly easy, but not terribly hard. Possibly up 10 for next week. Boy my deadlifts are weak, though!

I did some random grip work again! Still not really sure what I'm doing.

9/22/06

Squats(ATG)- 2x5 --> 150
    Squats (parallel)- 1x5 --> 150

Ruh Roh! I wasn't able to get my last set of squats ATG! The first 2 sets felt really hard, and I just didn't think I could keep proper form going ATG for the last set, so I only went to paralled. Also, I have a bad knee (torn PCL ligament) and sometimes I get a little nervous when the squats get extremely hard.

I should also point out that, damn, parallel squats are sooooooo much easier than ATG! I felt like I could have done another 7 or 8 reps with 150 at parallel

So here's my question, should I drop the weight for next workout? Or should I try 150 ATG again? My glutes and lower back felt a little sore today and I wasn't as pumped up as usual. I honestly think I might be able to get all 3 sets next workout if everything goes well. What about the possibility of alternating ATG squats with parallel squats workout to workout? Would there be anything wrong with this? I'd love to have some feedback here!

Military Press- 3x5 --> 90 - Stangely, the first set was very, very easy. The next two however were exponetially harder, but I did get them. Maybe I just wasn't maintaining my focus very well today.

Barbell Rows- 3x5 --> 95 Easy! I think I'm doing better on this exercise than any other thus far!

2 sets of chinups Added a little bit of assistance this time.
    Last edited by SchemeSC; 09-22-2006 at 01:06 PM.

9/24/06

Squats- 3x5--> 155. (parallel) So I've decided to alternate ATG and parallel squats workout to workout. I posted this idea on the powerlifting forums and didn't get much of a response, so I'm going to assume it's ok. I had my training partner confirm that my hips were as low as my knees. Today's weight felt relatively easy. For next workout, Ill drop down to a 130 ATG squat.

Bench- 3x5 --> 155 (PR!) And the first personal record has arrived! I'm counting this as a PR since I've never done 155 for more than 1x5. Come to think of it, this weight was relatively easy. Probably only up 5 pounds for next time though.

Deadlift- 1x5 --> 155. Not easy, but not incredibly tough either. It's gonna be a tough call whether or not I jump 5 or 10 pounds for next week. I would love to jump 10, because then I will be setting a PR in deads 2 workouts from now.

As far as grip goes, it's still just random training. How does this (http://www.heavygrips.com/training/beginner.html) program sound for a beginner? The program is towards the bottom.

whew, nice jump in bench, looking good!

as for the program, id already found it and tried it a few times personally i think it's a lot of volume, but hey, give it a try. im only doing crush grip twice a week, pinch 2-3 times...all depends on how tired hands are (today, for example, i prob couldnt close the trainer after those deads )

That grip workout is pretty good. As a beginner you should see some pretty fast results.
    My Journal:

9/27/06

Squats (ATG)- 130 --> 3x5. I'm currently alternating ATG and parallel squats. I dropped some weight on the ATG squats. Didn't do too bad. Up 5 pounds next time.

Military Press- 95 --> 3x5. Very hard, but I got them. I think I might have one more 5 pound jump in me, then I might start busting out the microplates. I'm probably less confident on this lift than any of the others. My rotator cuff problem is always in the back of my mind, so I don't usually lift with 100% intensity. I need to get past this mental roadblock if I want to make progress.

Barbell Rows- 100 --> 3x5. This is the first time this lift has felt challenging. I did get all my reps in though, so I'm happy. If I can make the 5 pound jump next workout (which I think I can), it will be another PR!

-Did some random rotator cuff work. Just learning the exercises.

- Today I messed with the grippers and I can actually overcrush the trainer now. Was able to hold it for about 7-8 seconds. Good progress from not being able to sqeeuze it all. I'm going to take a few days off and start the program I posted above on Sunday.
    Last edited by SchemeSC; 09-27-2006 at 03:15 PM.

Nice job man. What is your current weight?
    My Journal:

Originally Posted by Chrisx9118
    Nice job man. What is your current weight?
    Thanks! This morning I weighed in at 163. I'm 5'7".

HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000) HumanHorrorFilm is a name known to all. (+5000)
    good looking progression, keep it up.

9/29/06

Squats- 3x5 --> 165 (parallel)

Bench press- 3x5 --> 160 (PR!)

Deadlift- 1x5 --> 165

Set another PR on bench press! I'm trying to decide whether or not to try 165 next week or bust out the microplates. My gut feeling right now is that if I get a good night's sleep I can do it. We shall see!

Deadlifts went pretty well. Next week I should set my first PR on this lift!

Squats were hard as usual. I think I was going a little deeper than parallel, however. It's hilarious, because I have two different lifting partners, and I have them tell me when I'm at parallel. My one partner thinks parallel is about 6 inches lower than the other! Maybe I just ought to start deciding where parallel is on my own.

GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) GoJu is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Good Workouts!
    'Prior to the Department of Education, there was no illiteracy'

- Stizzel

KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000) KentPower is just really nice. (+1000)
    I think you should go straight to 165 - you got 160 first try no need for microplates yet. Remember it's a stronger person lifting next week.

I know what you mean about different people calling different depths parallel - just go ATG, problem solved.
    Infrequent poster.

I think you should go straight to 165 - you got 160 first try no need for microplates yet. Remember it's a stronger person lifting next week.

I know what you mean about different people calling different depths parallel - just go ATG, problem solved.
    Thanks! I think I will go straight to 165. That's a great way to look at it.

Lately I've been alternating parallel squats and ATG squats workout to workout. On workout A days, I do parallel. On workout B, I do ATG. I'm not sure if this is the best idea or not, but I just got tired of reading all the differing opinions on ATG vs parallel. So I think I'll just do both and get the best of both worlds.