Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000)

300 pushups a day = ???

I'm not sure where I heard this but from what I heard, if you do 300+ pushups (depending on your strength) a day, you'll get a much wider/bigger/stronger chest... Any kind of truth to this?

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)
    very little if any. endurance has very little crossover to strength or size.

kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000) kamis is just really nice. (+1000)
    ty

Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50) Oh_Riginal will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Maybe in the early going, if you don't have much strength to begin with, but you'd plateau fairly quickly.

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by de_barathrum
    very little if any. endurance has very little crossover to strength or size.
    Exactly... This is the same myth as "military strength workout"
    Cha Cha Cha

PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you'll get a huge waste of rest and recovery time

adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) adoniscomplex is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    basically unless all you care about is endurnace doing thatyis a waste of time
    my blogs
    howigotripped.wordpress.com
    submissiongrappling.wordpress.com

GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000) GimpyPaw is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I know this goes against the "common knowlege", but in college I had a friend who did 500 body weight pushups every day (5 sets of 100). His chest was not huge, but it was very well developed and could stack up to any other guy's in the gym (excluding the football players, who litterally were all on steriods supplied by the coach). Dude had a body that the girls seemed to love.

He started with doing 5 sets of 20 or so. Then, each day, he would add one or two reps to the total. It took him 2 years to get up to 500 / day, plus 500 sit-ups, and then he would run sprints for 20 minutes. His attitude was that you walk every day, and that doesn't wear you out, so why not develope other muscles to work daily?
    When the opportunity has arrived,

The time for preparation has past.

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    500/day is a way fit dude.

If you did 300 a day, in the SEAL fashion - 10 pushups every 30 seconds for 15 mins. There is no doubt you would be built like a rock.
    something clever and witty

KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kamis
    I'm not sure where I heard this but from what I heard, if you do 300+ pushups (depending on your strength) a day, you'll get a much wider/bigger/stronger chest... Any kind of truth to this?
    There's some truth to it. I've read of 200 and 400m runners doing 100 rep squats close their rep max to increase leg and glute size which is supposed to have a "protective" effect to joints and tendons. And it works as evidenced by their increased pant size as they put it. So the same thing would apply to other forms of resistance training like pushups.
    Geese_Howard: Just walk into any mental institution and tell the docs in there everything about your religion but substitute the name muhammed for 'Punjab' and see if they let you walk out...

Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by kamis
    Think about it,If that were true why would everyone waste their time in the gym.

Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jake The Muss has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Josiah
    500/day is a way fit dude.

If you did 300 a day, in the SEAL fashion - 10 pushups every 30 seconds for 15 mins. There is no doubt you would be built like a rock.
    No you would be good at doing push ups.

Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ares God Of War has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by Jake The Muss
    Dude your not listening,he said "SEAL fashion".Anything with words like "SEAL","Special forces", or "SAS" attached to it is Hardcore.Its only natural doing pushups "SEAL fashion" would make you built like a rock.Hell brushing your teeth "Ranger Style" would give you the worlds biggest forearms and dont get me on whipeing your arse "Marine style".

DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10) DoubleWide is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I think endurance training works. For size and mass, I don't it's time-effective. It took your friend 2 years to do 500 pushups. If he stuck with a regular program, I'm sure he'd achieve the same size and mass in 6 months to a year. He'd probably sacrifice light weight endurance for ability to lift heavier weight though. So overall goals affect training. Sprinters and marathon runners don't have the same goals so their training differs.

dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000) dasixthsun is just really nice. (+1000)
    Herchel walker! He claimed to do only pushups and situps and he was built fine. I used to do 300 a day during my lunch break and i notice a change in my chest and not only does it work you chest but shoulders and tris too

homebrand_cola has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i do 700pushups everday, all vaired positiions as well. 35 sets of 20. and you should see me im ****ing built... like a stick mind you a pretty hard stick

de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000) de_barathrum is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by KingSht
    There's some truth to it. I've read of 200 and 400m runners doing 100 rep squats close their rep max to increase leg and glute size which is supposed to have a "protective" effect to joints and tendons. And it works as evidenced by their increased pant size as they put it. So the same thing would apply to other forms of resistance training like pushups.
    not at all. squats are a completely different animal than pushups. they are the 1 excercise IMO that you can go very high reps on and still expect to see decent levels of hypertrophy. squats use such a wide range of muscles that you really can go heavy enough on it at higher reps for it to be benificial.

iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000) iBswole is just really nice. (+1000)
    Theres still a place for pushups. Don't let this 300 a day routine out weigh your regular chest workout. I've done 100 every morning since highschool and i don't regret it.

Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000) Ragnar13 is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is for the original poster........Try to do 300 pushups a day for 3 months, then post back here and tell us what your results were.

Without a doubt, you will have some kinda of result. Maybe you will be ripped, maybe you will have some serious dense, lean, hard shoulders chest and tris. Maybe you will look exactly the same cuz your diet sucks. Maybe you will be REALLY good at pushups. Maybe this is what you needed to break out of a rut...on and on.

Only thing I am certain of, is your diffrent from me, from Trickae, from DoubleWide, from everyone. We all respond different. Benching 5 sets of 5 with 250 might kick your ass and make you grow like a weed......but it might only be a warmup for someone else. They wouldn't get anything from it.

Try it......might work. If it don't, you got your answer.
    NASM-MMACS
    ISSA-CFT, SFN, SET
    HKC

✪ Rampaigers Crew ✪
    mWo

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Jake The Muss
    That is completelly untrue. You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to physical fitness.

Originally Posted by Ares God Of War
    Dude your not listening,he said "SEAL fashion".Anything with words like "SEAL","Special forces", or "SAS" attached to it is Hardcore.Its only natural doing pushups "SEAL fashion" would make you built like a rock.Hell brushing your teeth "Ranger Style" would give you the worlds biggest forearms and dont get me on whipeing your arse "Marine style".
    And you are simply a fool. I outlined exactly what SEAL meant, their method of using rest periods to increase effectiveness. Your punk attitude only belays your own lack of intelligence. Learn to read little boy.
    Last edited by Josiah; 09-06-2006 at 11:41 AM.
    something clever and witty

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ain't nothing wrong with bodyweight exercises! I would like to say to the OP, that you shouldn't onlt focus on adding reps, but also change the intensity, by doing harder bodyweight exercises (one arm pushups, inlcine, planches ect)...

Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Seems like there are a number of non-military background people in here putting down the pushup. Exactly how does the pushup differ from the flat bench press outside of the weight values? Yes, the end results will differ due to the fact that the weights differ. And yes, at the end of a given period of set, you will be much better at doing pushup due to having more muscular endurance. But, you will gain some bulk in the shoulders, chest, and triceps from doing pushups simply through muscular stress and work. I can speak first hand from this as I went through Army Basic two years ago and I saw the difference in how I looked before and after as did a lot of other people. Doing 300-500, or more, pushups a day along with having a diet that is strictly developed based on specific nutrient intake will result in muscle development. Saying otherwise is just ignorant.

NOW, if the question was: Which is better? Pushups vs Barbell/Dumbbell Presses? Then yes, the assessment that pushups "suck" would be correct.

PS> I have always strived for one primary goal in working out: handling my body weight. You can make all the posts and boasts that you like about being able to lift <insert weight value> doing <insert exercise>. But if you can't do the simple body weight exercises of pushups, situps, chin/pullups, and dips, you've failed.
    Last edited by Traug; 09-06-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    ...to die is simply to end the cycle of pain

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like pushups more than barbell/dumbell presses, if you want to add weight you can always use weighted clothing, or let someone put some plates on your back

Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10) Traug is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Weighted clothing, that is like a flanel shirt right?
    ...to die is simply to end the cycle of pain

Originally Posted by Traug
    Weighted clothing, that is like a flanel shirt right?
    You can increase the weight by putting on 2 flanel shirts

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Doing great amounts of pushups etc... or any exercise can invoke hypertrophy if ones genetics (rare I would believe) and knowledge of how their body reacts (rare as well in essense).

I would really like to know the results of a 3 month+ study on high repetitions.

I used to do 200 on chest day and after my normal workout it would seriously create a crazy end, but i could never credit my gains to them obviously because it wasnt just pushups. Very interesting.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

Originally Posted by Sir_Malak

I would really like to know the results of a 3 month+ study on high repetitions.
    How bout you be the guinea pig?

Originally Posted by Josiah
    That is completelly untrue. You have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to physical fitness.
    Actually its very true.Once you go past 12-15 reps on a movement,the only thing you are training is your bodys ability in that movement.

Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Samoan Warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Doing great amounts of pushups etc... or any exercise can invoke hypertrophy if ones genetics (rare I would believe) and knowledge of how their body reacts (rare as well in essense).

Its not that hard to believe.Look at the size of Rafael Nadals left arm or a baseball pitchers dominant arm or the leg development of elite soccer players.In all of these examples the hypertophy is only a side effect of their training and isnt even intended.In the examples the hypertrophy probably took years to occur but if you put together a decent high rep,high frequency program you would get great results.Chad Waterbury has written lots of good stuff about it.You should check it out

nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nutsy54 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Lightbulb

Every person in the world does thousands of Reps a day with their legs while walking. How many have huge leg muscles?