Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Smitno has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Best Exercises for Arm Wrestling?

Hello,

I am looking for opinions on specific exercises that would help with
    arm wrestling, particularly focusing more on strength/endurance than adding on mass.

So what would be the most recommended exercises for Bi's/Tri's/Forearms and maybe delts. Also, should I raise my rep range to gain more endurance?

Thanks for your time guys, looking forward to learning from you.

Smitno
    Last edited by Smitno; 09-04-2006 at 10:52 AM.

grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I refuse to give advice on arm wrestling because it is stupid and dangerous. I injured my shoulder arm wrestling 2 years ago, and even after extensive rehab and RC work, I still have limited mobility and sometimes pain in the joint. I know several others on this site have had similar experiences with arm wrestling, so my best advice is to stay the f*ck away from it.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Assertive Guy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Smitno
    Hello,

arm wrestling, particularly focusing more on strength/endurance than on adding on mass.

So what would be the most recommended exercises for Bi's/Tri's/Forearms and maybe delts. Also, should I raise my rep range to gain more endurance?

Smitno
    I dont know the full answer, but I do remember a story I read on another board about how the skinny weaker looking one beat the one with huge arms. When asked the skinny one told him it was because he trained his muscles in groups, so he won because of a combination of back and bi power and didnt need big arms.

digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10) digitorum is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Arm wrestling is all about technique and leverage, not just strength. There are multiple techniques, e.g. the hook, the press etc, the walking finger method to gain leverage.

Training just for arm wrestling is stupid. You have to train everything to get functional strength everywhere, otherwise there will be a weak link.

I don't recommend arm wrestling if you have small bones. I found out the hard way...

Clarifications

Ok guys, let me clear up a few things before you assume things.

1. Rockhuddy: Stupid and dangerous can be applied to any sport in the world, if it is done by someone who hasn't researched and trained properly for that particular sport. It is the reason why I am on a bodybuilding forum asking advice on how to increase some strength, because I am not knowledgeable in the subject and do not want to injure myself. Weightlifting can be very dangerous if not done properly, Im sure you agree.

Assertive guy: You are right, I have been beaten by smaller opponents on a few occasions, but I would still like to add some strength and endurance to see if it helps my game. (I lost my last match due to lack of endurance).

digitorum: You are totally correct. I have been Arm Wrestling seriously for 2 years, and I would agree that technique is way more important than brute strength, but what can extra strength hurt?

Thanks for the comments guys, just want to learn more about weightlifting/bodybuilding to compliment my hobby.

rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    1. Rockhuddy: Stupid and dangerous can be applied to any sport in the world, if it is done by someone who hasn't researched and trained properly for that particular sport. It is the reason why I am on a bodybuilding forum asking advice on how to increase some strength, because I am not knowledgeable in the subject and do not want to injure myself. Weightlifting can be very dangerous if not done properly, Im sure you agree.
    Sure, but some things are stupider than others. Deadlifting with a rounded lower back, squatting on your toes, etc. come to mind. Thing is, arm wrestling is basically nothing more than a 1 rep max internal rotation. That's bad news in my opinion, and in several others'.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=569284
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=829526
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you really decide you MUST do this:

1. RC exercises. The subscapularis will be the one doing most of the force exertion BUT BUT BUT you also need strong supraspinatus, infraspinatus and teres minor so that your shoulder joint isn't destabilized. Work all of them. This will be good for weight training as well.

2. Grip strength and forearm strength isn't obvious, but it plays a major factor as full arm tension and the ability to rotate your wrist even slightly to gain advantageous leverage against your opponent.

I don't recommend arm wrestling though... its pretty useless.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Hello,

arm wrestling, particularly focusing more on strength/endurance than adding on mass.

Smitno
    I agree with rockhuddy: if you care about the health of your shoulders, they're a bad idea. As for specific exercises, I'd be doing a lot of rotator cuff specific work, along with grip work and wrist exercises like lever lifts.

This video might turn you off them: Nathan Jones of Australia vs. Magnus Samuelsson in a strongman event about 10 years ago. It's not often big Magnus looks small but a 6'10" monster will do that to you although he figured out a way to put him out of commission with a spiral fracture. Pretty ugly stuff.

darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    *Someday I want to meet this "Everyone," he seems to have written so very much, yet all of it is wrong.
    *Nature is the master of design, and knowledge is the master of nature.
    *Uncertainty is the seed of all knowledge - it is the catalyst of investigation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtvIadaQSdk

Thanks for all the concern guys, but I've known (and seen) all the dangers for the past two years. I'm here for some friendly training advice.

I get enough of this stuff from my wife...lol

Thanks anyway guys.

darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000) darklight79 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtvIadaQSdk

Thanks for all the concern guys, but I've known (and seen) all the dangers for the past two years. I'm here for some friendly training advice.

I get enough of this stuff from my wife...lol

Thanks anyway guys.
    Holy ****. Ow ow ow! That was bloody nasty.
    *Someday I want to meet this "Everyone," he seems to have written so very much, yet all of it is wrong.

Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Josiah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow that was harsh. Somebody had a cool head in the background...
    something clever and witty

dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by rockhuddy
    Sure, but some things are stupider than others. Deadlifting with a rounded lower back, squatting on your toes, etc. come to mind. Thing is, arm wrestling is basically nothing more than a 1 rep max internal rotation. That's bad news in my opinion, and in several others'.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=569284
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=829526

"Some things are stupider than others..."

That has to be the quote of the day, for sure......
    6'2
    Current weight 197 at 16-17% bodyfat
    34 years old
    Lifting for 4 years

Ultimate personal goals:

225 lbs at 12% bodyfat
    Bench-450 (Hit 370 Shirted in April 2007)(350 raw in March 2007)
    Deadlift-500 (Achieved 535!!!!!!, April 2007)
    Squat-450 (Hit 425, April 2007)

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by dnewbie

Sounds like someone is having steroid issues.

dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dnewbie has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    Sounds like someone is having steroid issues.
    I wasn't aware that recognizing improper english was a side effect of roids?
    6'2
    Current weight 197 at 16-17% bodyfat
    34 years old
    Lifting for 4 years

Ultimate personal goals:

225 lbs at 12% bodyfat
    Bench-450 (Hit 370 Shirted in April 2007)(350 raw in March 2007)
    Deadlift-500 (Achieved 535!!!!!!, April 2007)
    Squat-450 (Hit 425, April 2007)

Acting like an ass**** might be.

Thank you. 'More stupid' was what I meant to type. That was pretty stupid of me, actually.

Thumbs down

Minor mistakes in English are made by everyone once in a while. Is that a reason to nitpick on a member? What does that have to do with the topic in this thread?

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_

This video might turn you off them: Nathan Jones of Australia vs. Magnus Samuelsson in a strongman event about 10 years ago. It's not often big Magnus looks small but a 6'10" monster will do that to you although he figured out a way to put him out of commission with a spiral fracture. Pretty ugly stuff.

Here's one case where bigger isn't better.
    Cha Cha Cha

sabarishnarain has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    include ur shoulders man.......
    shoulder routine give man more power to shrek others arm while u play.
    parallelly , include forearms as often as possible .

aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) aiwass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Weighted chins, heavy curls, forearm and rotator cuff work.

Originally Posted by spirit3530
    Here's one case where bigger isn't better.
    True Although it sounds funny considering Magnus is over 6'6" and would completely dwarf most people. I'll bet it's not often he's had to compete against someone that much bigger than him.

O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) O===(_) has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'm pretty good at arm wrestling, and I do a lot of curls and forearm work. Preacher curls are my favorite and cable curls a close second. I do a lot of farmers walks and the thing with the stick and the rope and you keep turning your wrist to bring it up. Sorry I don't know the name but that exercise kills.

BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    **** dont arm wrestle I kinda got into it for a few months and it was all fun and games but in april 2006 out of the blue I snapped my humerus (spiral fracture) and it took 3 months before I could get back to lifting and 1 1/2 months to build my strength up and my rc still bothers me on some exercises not to mention my bicep looks kinda weird cus of the bone being thicker in one area and having a very hard time building up that arm again.

Edit: It took forever to straighten my arm again to..no cast at all just bones grinding against each other in a collar and cuff.
    Last edited by chobanuk; 09-05-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Thewhite9t has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Although the biceps and shoulders do play a role in arm wrestling I think that the forearms actually play the biggest role. My brother curls about the same as me but my forearms are 14" and his are 16" and he can drop me in about 3 secs. His upper arm really isn't that big but his forearms are huge, that's what makes him so good. So don't neglect the biceps and shoulders by any means, but I would put special emphesis on the forearms.

PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PoW is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Forget arm wrestling, not a good test of strength. Stop arm wrestling and next time someone asks you to do it tell them no, but that you will sumo wrestle them because it's a much better test of strength.

BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50) BattleHymns will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ya sumo wrestling with a swissball is a much better test of strength

bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodyweight is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    If arm wrestling is your chosen sport you could probably stick with you current training but go to a 2 inch bar for your grip. Plate curls (grab a 25 or 35lb plate and curl keeping your wrists straight), sledghammer lifts (various and odd positions), and anything that can strengthen your shoulders would also be benficial (pressing excercies). The best advice would be to arm wrestle as many people of various weights and handsizes. Keep your shoulders safe.

RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10) RIPcookiethief is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I've read that hammer curls will help a lot with arm wrestling.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and well, sometimes the bar eats you.

KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Is arm wrestling still part of Strongman competition? Apparently that arm wrestling feat ended Nathan Jones' career:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0428923/bio

Height
    6' 11½" (2.12 m)

Mini biography
    Nathan Jones rose upon the world strongman scene in 1995 and showed promise to become perhaps the top competitor in the world. At 6' 11" and 360 lbs., the giant Australian known as Megaman was an imposing sight and used his great size and strength to place high in the World Musclepower Championships.

Unfortunately, tragedy struck Megaman in a qualifying heat for the 1995 World's Strongest Man Competition when he suffered a spiral fracture in his arm while arm wrestling European Champion and 1998 World's Strongest Man, Magnus Samuelsson of Sweden. Certainly a shame, as Nathan's career was only beginning and looking very bright.
    Geese_Howard: Just walk into any mental institution and tell the docs in there everything about your religion but substitute the name muhammed for 'Punjab' and see if they let you walk out...