jetzacker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Replacing heavy squats with light squat/heavy leg press combo

Any downside to doing high reps- say 10-12 of 185 for a few sets and then loading up the leg press machine?

I also do deadlifts

I want to stick with squats for maintaining balance and stabilization for my legs, but still work them with heavy weight using the leg press.

The leg press seems safer and less likely to result in an injury than a heavy squat
    (Yes, yes, If you perform an exercise right with manageable weight you should not get injured- I know this already)

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You will greatly reduce the rate of both your strength and hypertrophy gains by going that route.

That's enough downsides for it not to be a viable option.

Stick with the squatting and forget the leg press if you want the best results.

Best of luck!

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jetzacker
    Any downside to doing high reps- say 10-12 of 185 for a few sets and then loading up the leg press machine?

I also do deadlifts

I want to stick with squats for maintaining balance and stabilization for my legs, but still work them with heavy weight using the leg press.

The leg press seems safer and less likely to result in an injury than a heavy squat
    (Yes, yes, If you perform an exercise right with manageable weight you should not get injured- I know this already)
    Are you saying that you would just maintain at 10-12 with 185 or would you try to perform more work, in your next workout? Maintenance or progression?

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jetzacker

I also do deadlifts

You can do whatever you like--there are no rules. Just don't be one of those guys who's bitching a year from now about a weak squat or poor leg development.

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    You can do whatever you like--there are no rules. Just don't be one of those guys who's bitching a year from now about a weak squat or poor leg development.
    Exactly. I'm not really sure why you would choose to quit doing heavy squats, barring an injury. Are you progressing too much, too quickly, lol? Or is it a weird kind of periodization thing?
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers