Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

An online BMR calculator with added functionality: need your comments/feedback

Hi guys,
    As my knowledge has grown over time, I decided to put together yet ANOTHER BMR calculator.

I'm a developer and enjoy putting together little utilities from time to time.
    This application will:
    -calculate your BMR using either Katch-McArdle or Harris-Benedict formula
    -calculate your LBM
    -calculate your target weight for a target BF%
    -calculates a meal plan depending on how you wish to spread your calories over the day
    -uses different techniques of how to give you your daily calorie goals.

Please try it out, and give me your feedback on what you think, and any improvements you'd like to see.

>>> Click here to try it out <<<
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362
    youTube vids: http://youtube.com/profile?user=FitnessNut
    my iPhone apps: http://www.yianni-software.com/

numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) numinix has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I put in a target bodyfat it returns the results without a unit of measure. I am guessing this is kg's but I was using lbs in the measurements... Perhaps you should make two different formulas depending on what unit of measure?

Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Short One has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by numinix
    When I put in a target bodyfat it returns the results without a unit of measure. I am guessing this is kg's but I was using lbs in the measurements... Perhaps you should make two different formulas depending on what unit of measure?
    Thank you for your suggestion. I'll include that in the next release, as well as a nicer rounded figure as opposed to such a precise number you might get .

I'll also change it to return in in the entered unit of measure.
    if you enter your weight in lbs, it'll return your LBM and target weight in lbs.

Thanks again.
    Neglecting strength no more: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1000362

Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    The LBM calculation method appears to be flawed, as it is returning an LBM much lower than it should be.

Example:

200lb man with 10% bodyfat, return of LBM shows 81.81, whereas it SHOULD show 180. This throws off the entire function of your target weight calculator. I'm looking forward to seeing it once fixed though.

Stonecoldtruth

EDIT - AH! I see, it is returning the lbm calculations based on kg instead of lb, gotcha! Sorry about that.

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Short One
    Hi guys,
    As my knowledge has grown over time, I decided to put together yet ANOTHER BMR calculator.

I'm a developer and enjoy putting together little utilities from time to time.
    This application will:
    -calculate your BMR using either Katch-McArdle or Harris-Benedict formula
    -calculate your LBM
    -calculate your target weight for a target BF%
    -calculates a meal plan depending on how you wish to spread your calories over the day
    -uses different techniques of how to give you your daily calorie goals.

Please try it out, and give me your feedback on what you think, and any improvements you'd like to see.

>>> Click here to try it out <<<
    That's pretty cool bro.

Originally Posted by stonecoldtruth
    The LBM calculation method appears to be flawed, as it is returning an LBM much lower than it should be.

Example:

200lb man with 10% bodyfat, return of LBM shows 81.81, whereas it SHOULD show 180. This throws off the entire function of your target weight calculator. I'm looking forward to seeing it once fixed though.

Stonecoldtruth

EDIT - AH! I see, it is returning the lbm calculations based on kg instead of lb, gotcha! Sorry about that.

Originally Posted by boyscouT
    That's pretty cool bro.
    Thanks to the both of you for trying it out and comments.

Prove you're worth a damn DJohnson's Avatar
    DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000)
    Worked great for me. Excellent job. You should put a link in your sig or something.
    History: Mar, 2001: 135lbs @ ~14% | Nov, 2004: 245lbs @ ~40% | Dec, 2006: 168lbs @ 5.5%ish | Nov, 2008: 177lbs @ 5.5%ish | Dec, 2016: 179lbs

I'll be uploading a new version over the next day or so which includes:
    - Fix to that target weight problem which currently only shows in kgs
    - Enhancement to allow entry of a specific calorie offset from maintenance (+/-)
    - Anything else you guys might pick up on.

I'll work to make it prettier later on, but for the minute I'm concentrating on functionality.

boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000) boyscouT is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'll be uploading a new version over the next day or so which includes:
    - Fix to that target weight problem which currently only shows in kgs
    - Enhancement to allow entry of a specific calorie offset from maintenance (+/-)
    - Anything else you guys might pick up on.

I'll work to make it prettier later on, but for the minute I'm concentrating on functionality.
    You should try to get as many "testers" for your program as possible, to see how accurate those "estimation methods" really are when compared to real world cut and bulk diets.

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Nice script

My only opinion is that I'd rather the activitey multiplier be on the first screen, and it gives you cut, bulk, and maintenance calories regardless, then everything else is optional
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

Originally Posted by skelooth
    Nice script

My only opinion is that I'd rather the activitey multiplier be on the first screen, and it gives you cut, bulk, and maintenance calories regardless, then everything else is optional
    Thanks for your opinion skelooth.

I did originally have it on the first screen, but moved it due to functionality.

The first page has only enough detail to provide a BMR.
    The second page goes that step further.

I can see where you're coming from with that approach. I'll need to do some more analysis on the design. It's workable either way, just a question on how much to enter at once.

To not bombard the user with too many options at once, the app should have a 3rd screen in the wizard, so that there isn't too much to pick at the one time.

The other reasoning I recall to moving the Activity Level to the 2nd screen was so that the user could see instantly (without moving screens) the effect of changing activity levels.

por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I tried it out. The numbers were a little different from what I usually get. I think you are kind of in "in the grey" with you target audience. There are some things there the a beginner wouldn't understand, yet there are other things that should be more vague (like a variable input as opposed to a radio button) if you want someone experienced to use it.

Also, I but myself as 204lbs 14%BF. The Target BF% to Total Body Weight calculator said that at 8% I should weigh 186. My calculations say that's incorrect. Had my target been 5.9%, it would work, otherwise, it should have returned ~189

por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) por2geez has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've thought about doing this with Javascript for a long time now. Maybe I can get it done before school starts again.

Allowing my well-being ShapingUp's Avatar
    ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000) ShapingUp is just really nice. (+1000)
    I luv it! Now I know how many calories to have for the first 2 meals after I work out, and how many to have at the other meals. Thanks a lot!

Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Fat Balls has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome. Except, isn't the activity calculator/factor always going to show fairly inaccurate results? For example, what I consider to be "moderately active," the next guy might call "very active." Same goes for "hard" vs. "moderate" exercise.

amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) amjzzz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's cool. I would suggest if they choose a TDEE option to actually display the TDEE. I don't see it displayed.

Ah.. I guess you can get at it if you choose maintain.

Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Stonecoldtruth is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Fat Balls
    Awesome. Except, isn't the activity calculator/factor always going to show fairly inaccurate results? For example, what I consider to be "moderately active," the next guy might call "very active." Same goes for "hard" vs. "moderate" exercise.
    All of the BMR formulas use the activity modifier, and yes it is reliant on you using the correct modifier. BMR outputs are not meant to be precise, but are meant to give a good starting point IMVHO.

SCT

Originally Posted by por2geez
    I tried it out. The numbers were a little different from what I usually get. I think you are kind of in "in the grey" with you target audience. There are some things there the a beginner wouldn't understand, yet there are other things that should be more vague (like a variable input as opposed to a radio button) if you want someone experienced to use it.

Also, I but myself as 204lbs 14%BF. The Target BF% to Total Body Weight calculator said that at 8% I should weigh 186. My calculations say that's incorrect. Had my target been 5.9%, it would work, otherwise, it should have returned ~189
    I think what you're seeing is some eye trickery.. You're seeing '86', because it's giving it to you in kgs. (my fix for this will be in the next release)

Thank you for your suggestion on making a 'basic' version of it, plus an experienced.. Good suggestion. Thanks.

I must admit, at face value, the current version is very daunting to a novice.

Originally Posted by amjzzz
    It's cool. I would suggest if they choose a TDEE option to actually display the TDEE. I don't see it displayed.

Ah.. I guess you can get at it if you choose maintain.
    Agreed.. I intended to include in the next release a bonus feature.

Show your TDEE, as well as how far off your 'goal' is from maintenance as a reference.

Originally Posted by stonecoldtruth
    All of the BMR formulas use the activity modifier, and yes it is reliant on you using the correct modifier. BMR outputs are not meant to be precise, but are meant to give a good starting point IMVHO.

SCT
    Thank you.. You've pre-empted my intention to include a 'disclaimer', that these are just indicative guides, etc..

Thank you.. You've pre-empted my intention to include a 'disclaimer', that these are just indicative guides, etc..
    I've made quite a few versions of these myself for friends and such, mine are a lot less programming oriented and just done in Microsoft Excel. I am impressed though that you added the option to use either of the formulae, as the Katch-McArdle (if an accurate lbm calculation is used) is FAR more accurate imo.

SCT

Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big Stan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I tried it out and it was pretty much dead on to what I had already calculated. Thanks alot for the resource bro. Reps to you

Big Stan
    Creator of Big Stan's Taco's, Karate, and Paintball SuperStore. A place where the three greatest pleasures in life await you: Shooting ropes of paint at unsuspecting players, Beating the snot out of each other UFC style, and relaxing at the end of the day with the food of the gods - Tacos!

Ok.. I have updated the version to include:
    - Fix to the target weight screen to include your LBM and target weight in lbs (if you entered your weight in lbs).
    - Rounded most of the figures to 2 decimals for readability
    - Included a custom offset for manual entry of +/- calories from maintenance
    - Included a table row to show how many cals off maintenance you are.
    - Made data entry a little less daunting by re-arranging the options

Next I'll try my hand at splitting into beginner and advanced screens + any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks again for trialling my application out.

vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000) vanessa40 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Thanks..i loved it..

Vanessa
    Daily Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172687201
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Food Journal
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    To Err Is Human
    To Forgive is Canine

I think what you're seeing is some eye trickery.. You're seeing '86', because it's giving it to you in kgs. (my fix for this will be in the next release)

Thank you for your suggestion on making a 'basic' version of it, plus an experienced.. Good suggestion. Thanks.

I must admit, at face value, the current version is very daunting to a novice.
    Sorry, I meant 186.

Ok.. I have updated the version to include:
    - Fix to the target weight screen to include your LBM and target weight in lbs (if you entered your weight in lbs).
    - Rounded most of the figures to 2 decimals for readability
    - Included a custom offset for manual entry of +/- calories from maintenance
    - Included a table row to show how many cals off maintenance you are.
    - Made data entry a little less daunting by re-arranging the options

Next I'll try my hand at splitting into beginner and advanced screens + any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks again for trialling my application out.
    It doesnt HAVE to be split. What you can do is change most of the fields to be more like your "custom offset for manual entry" by allowing them to take in user defined data as opposed to making them select from the data definitions you've chosen for them. Then, make sure to place some educational info in the directions. That way, experienced people can get exactly what they need and inexperienced people can get a decent idea of what values they should enter.

Originally Posted by ShapingUp
    I luv it! Now I know how many calories to have for the first 2 meals after I work out, and how many to have at the other meals. Thanks a lot!
    You're most welcome. I'm glad that you loved it.

Bump before I upload a new version asap.

New version.

Ok.. I've made available a new version of the Application.

The new features include:
    - Custom activity level
    - Inclusion of MacroNutrient config
    - Custom MacroNutrient Breakdown
    - Custom calorie offset
    - Option to include or not include the MacroNutrient @ the bottom of the page
    - New Target Heart Rate calculator using the Karvonnen method as well as traditional 220 - age calculation

Please let me know what you think, and if any other ideas come to mind.

The link isn't working for me .