Registered User trainTilfailure's Avatar
    trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000)

how big do i have to be to play D3 college football

unforntuately there is no football team for my high school but when i get to college i want to play football. i never measured how fast i am, but i am one of the fastest kids on baseball team. correct me if im wrong, since division 3 is the lowest, how big do i have to be to play safety?
    also since i didnt play high school football, when i get to college do i just go and ask for a tryout?

i eat babies for protein. DieHollywoodDie's Avatar
    DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    it's very possible but unlikely, even in Division III football, that you would be able to make the team as a walkon with NO football experience on record. if you were an awarded baseball player and had a good record at that, you could convince them. contact a coach.
    NEW GOAL(s):
    Regain my strength.
    Put on 5 lbs of muscle.
    Gain better overall fitness (strength, endurance, muscle)

"don't give up, the beginning is always the hardest."

sehRB28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sehRB28 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    yea it would be really hard to be a walk on at any level with no hight school experience, but maybe if you could get a trainer that has trained college athletes in the past he could help you out and put you on the right track.

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    if you are a good natural athlete and just show like you can move half way decently you should be fine depending on the school. keep in mind that a lot of D3 schools are small, prestigious private schools that cannot offer any athletic scholarship, and are difficult to get into. basically what happens is you get accepted to the school, and then you walk on. some coaches might have some pull in the admissions office, but it is highly unlikely, especially because in your case you have no experience anyways. even at a d1 anybody can walk on. what matters is whether or not they make the team.

d3 you do not need to be the biggest strongest or fastest guy. if you can play you will probably make it on the team. plain and simple. ive seen it where a guy is absolute crap and is on JV and doesnt even start as a senior, and then they end up being key guys on d3 squads. keep in mind, what really matters is the school you choose. the level of competition definately isnt a bunch of slouches. some d3s could probably beat or at least compete with most d1 schools. it is more than possible to play.

Hogie Sammich has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Hogie Sammich has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by teriyakisaki
    if you are a good natural athlete and just show like you can move half way decently you should be fine depending on the school. keep in mind that a lot of D3 schools are small, prestigious private schools that cannot offer any athletic scholarship, and are difficult to get into. basically what happens is you get accepted to the school, and then you walk on. some coaches might have some pull in the admissions office, but it is highly unlikely, especially because in your case you have no experience anyways. even at a d1 anybody can walk on. what matters is whether or not they make the team.

d3 you do not need to be the biggest strongest or fastest guy. if you can play you will probably make it on the team. plain and simple. ive seen it where a guy is absolute crap and is on JV and doesnt even start as a senior, and then they end up being key guys on d3 squads. keep in mind, what really matters is the school you choose. the level of competition definately isnt a bunch of slouches. some d3s could probably beat or at least compete with most d1 schools. it is more than possible to play.

Another thing a lot of D3 schools get are the guys that didn't have the grades/recognition for D1 or just needed some more experience. You can probably get on the team if you are a good enough athlete, but you really need to pay attention to the training on how to play football as a safety.
    6'3" 215lbs

Jim M has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Depends on school and its recruiting

but at most you can walk on and have a good chance of making team, playing is another story.

trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000) trainTilfailure is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Jim M
    but at most you can walk on and have a good chance of making team, playing is another story.
    there really is no point of joining the team if im not gona play right? its not like its D1 or something

Cool

Originally Posted by shayne26
    there really is no point of joining the team if im not gona play right? its not like its D1 or something
    That's for you to decide. I already did it way back when, walked on and was #1 on depth chart next season so playing is all up to the individual. On the defensive side of the ball a solid tackler who is short fat and slow will get the nod eventually over the speedier stud who can't tackle up close and personal or in the open field.

Back then I was lifting the way noone here would do today as it is considered overtraining but I got results and was benching squatting and deadlifting more than the bigger lineman as a D-back.

ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "Another thing a lot of D3 schools get are the guys that didn't have the grades/recognition for D1 or just needed some more experience. You can probably get on the team if you are a good enough athlete, but you really need to pay attention to the training on how to play football as a safety."

umm...that's not necessarily true. in D3 schools academics are of more importance than D1. if you are a great athlete your grades would have to be pretty bad not to get into a D1, so don't expect to get into a D3 school with those same grades.

upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I played safety at a D3 school. I was/am 5'10" 195 lbs. 4.6 40. I only played one year of high school but I was recruited so I didnt have to walk on. Started from 5th game of freshman year all the way through and was all conference my senior year. We had a few guys walk on that never played football before. Most D3 schools dont cut players so you can definatley make the team but you better be a great athlete and fast learner if you expect to play anytime soon.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.

user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) user98511001541 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    i was scouted by a lot of d3 schools... i am 5'9 200 at 13%bf

in school i ran a 4.7-4.8 40yarddash and benched 225 5 times

lol i played center

ended up not getting into the school that i was gonna play football at and i ended up here at good ol' kent state
    Gaspari Nutrition Rep and Overall BAMF
    www.gasparinutrition.com
    alec @ gasparinutrition.com

Turning into a pirate-grizzy bear hybrid! --- Bulkin to 230!
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=127371573

TRAIN INSANE: http://vimeo.com/7472199

Originally Posted by upslogger19
    I played safety at a D3 school. I was/am 5'10" 195 lbs. 4.6 40. I only played one year of high school but I was recruited so I didnt have to walk on. Started from 5th game of freshman year all the way through and was all conference my senior year. We had a few guys walk on that never played football before. Most D3 schools dont cut players so you can definatley make the team but you better be a great athlete and fast learner if you expect to play anytime soon.
    Let me know if you have any other questions.
    is D3 football a little laidback on practices and stuff? what school did you play for

Cool Be prepared to work

is D3 football a little laidback on practices and stuff? what school did you play for
    We worked out in off season with weights, running and agility drills and were tested in springtime.

The summer camp was brutal with two a days and night classroom session for playbook. I went from 165# to 145# in first four weeks. I forget what my body fat was but it was good at around 8% at 165# and even better at 145#.

It's organized with trainers and training table meals together.

Weight is a big difference but my lifts weren' affected. I continued to lift during camp while it was not mandatory but adjusted my six day routine to three.

In season the circuit was cut back to maintenance of lighter weight with longer timed negative and positive lift intervals. I think it was 4 second postive and 6 second negative. Try that on the bench press for 8-12 reps and see what happens to poundage you could normally handle.

Registered User ziggyandthemonk's Avatar
    ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ziggyandthemonk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You really dont have to be big at all to play at a d3, depending on the school. I would guess if you walked on and are a decent athlete you'd be starting in a few years at worst.
    Reentering

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    safety?

it depends on how tall you are. Take your height and compare it with the top 10 at that postion in D1. Thats about how big you should be. As far as skills and speed. You need to be as fast as you can so if you are underweight by 15-20lbs you may not make it in that spot. However you may make it on special teams.

Just get in as good shape as possible. Focus on getting stronger, agility drills and getting faster.
    Cha Cha Cha

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ajn
    "Another thing a lot of D3 schools get are the guys that didn't have the grades/recognition for D1 or just needed some more experience. You can probably get on the team if you are a good enough athlete, but you really need to pay attention to the training on how to play football as a safety."

umm...that's not necessarily true. in D3 schools academics are of more importance than D1. if you are a great athlete your grades would have to be pretty bad not to get into a D1, so don't expect to get into a D3 school with those same grades.

you're totally right. d3's are very good academic schools for the most part and thats why its hard to get onto some teams. i think maybe what he was talking about when it came to grades was that some players maybe couldnt maintain GPA to stay on scholarship, so they transfered down to where they can play and still get some scholarship.

i know youre thinking "d3's dont give athletic scholarships." they dont. but many times they will hand out 40k dollar scholarships for having brown hair and being 5'9".

BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BBr0x0rz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Hogie Sammich
    Another thing a lot of D3 schools get are the guys that didn't have the grades/recognition for D1
    I am so tired of hearing this. The D3 schools are the ones who are all academics-based for the most part.

And no, practices aren't laid back, I play for a D3 school and the practices are just as hard as the stuff I saw at D2 schools.

BTW, if anyone's wondering, our D3 school Albion beat D1 Butler University 31-10 yesterday

i saw some of the stats there was 5'8 160lb WR lol... anyway yea safeties are 6' 180-200lb give or take 1-2 inches. i just have to gain atleast 50lbs by next august

DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i saw some of the stats there was 5'8 160lb WR lol... anyway yea safeties are 6' 180-200lb give or take 1-2 inches. i just have to gain atleast 50lbs by next august
    ever heard of a guy named warrick dunn? 5' 9 180 lbs.
    ever heard of a guy named marvin harrison? 6' 0 185 lbs
    ever heard of a guy named santana moss? 5' 10" 185 lbs
    ever heard of a guy named steve smith? 5' 9" 185 lbs

point.
    NEW GOAL(s):
    Regain my strength.
    Put on 5 lbs of muscle.

frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50) frobro will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DieHollywoodDie
    ever heard of a guy named warrick dunn? 5' 9 180 lbs.
    ever heard of a guy named marvin harrison? 6' 0 185 lbs
    ever heard of a guy named santana moss? 5' 10" 185 lbs
    ever heard of a guy named steve smith? 5' 9" 185 lbs

point.
    I'd like to add...

Bob Sanders? 5'8
    Sinorice Moss? 5'8
    Maurice Drew? 5'6
    Darren Sproles? 5'7

so many more to add...
    Effort.

firehaven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firehaven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firehaven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) firehaven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    navy has a 5'6 safety? and a 5'7 slot back?.

upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10) upslogger19 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by teriyakisaki
    you're totally right. d3's are very good academic schools for the most part and thats why its hard to get onto some teams. i think maybe what he was talking about when it came to grades was that some players maybe couldnt maintain GPA to stay on scholarship, so they transfered down to where they can play and still get some scholarship.

i know youre thinking "d3's dont give athletic scholarships." they dont. but many times they will hand out 40k dollar scholarships for having brown hair and being 5'9".

LOL, I got about 7K extra per year for a "Talent Grant". These are normally for students who play instruments and sing but I dont do either.

Originally Posted by BBr0x0rz
    I am so tired of hearing this. The D3 schools are the ones who are all academics-based for the most part.

And no, practices aren't laid back, I play for a D3 school and the practices are just as hard as the stuff I saw at D2 schools.

BTW, if anyone's wondering, our D3 school Albion beat D1 Butler University 31-10 yesterday

All very true. Our practices were not laid back at all. We had intense spring drills too that were at 5:30-7:00 am three days a week, plus lifting 4 days a week. During the season we lifted 3 days a week too, but this was more for maintenance.

DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    why would the practices be laid back? Makes no kinda sense.

BdyBld101 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    With no experience ever playing football, you need to make sure that it is something you are prepared to get involved with in the first place. Even at the D3 level, you still have to put most of your time into it year-round. However, because of the population of most D3 schools you should be able to walk-on and make the team if you are a decent athlete. Those size schools don't have very much schlarship money to give so they rely on walk-ons to fill up their roster. At that level, its no so much about size as it is speed. If you can run a 4.5 or even 4.6 forty, and have the heart to run full speed at a 220 pound tailback coming up the middle right at you and absolutely knock his head off, then you'll be alright.

Originally Posted by BdyBld101
    With no experience ever playing football, you need to make sure that it is something you are prepared to get involved with in the first place. Even at the D3 level, you still have to put most of your time into it year-round. However, because of the population of most D3 schools you should be able to walk-on and make the team if you are a decent athlete. Those size schools don't have very much schlarship money to give so they rely on walk-ons to fill up their roster. At that level, its no so much about size as it is speed. If you can run a 4.5 or even 4.6 forty, and have the heart to run full speed at a 220 pound tailback coming up the middle right at you and absolutely knock his head off, then you'll be alright.
    i think people aren't realizing that in order for a school to be D1, they have to give out a certain # of athletic scholarships. D3 schools give out NO athletic scholarships, thus their sports are not as good. thats what makes a D3 school. good athletes can still go to them.
    NEW GOAL(s):
    Regain my strength.
    Put on 5 lbs of muscle.