Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Thumbs up I asked a question to Ronnie about high volume training

Ronnie, sorry if something like this has already been posted... My workout im training each bodypart 2x per week (usually 12-18 sets per bodypart per workout - so we are talking 25-35 sets each bodypart per week). So it is a lot of volume and i am doing heavy weights. What your opinions on high volume routines - like what most of the the guys did back in the 70s and hardly no one does today. Talk about a routine like that now (on any message boards, to a lot of personal trainers etc.) everyone is gonna attack you and call it overtraining blah blah blah and that you wont gain anything. Ive been doing this kinda routine for nearly 2 months and its going very well. Im an ectomorph and would say I got poor genetics when it comes to gaining muscle - and this kinda routine is doing wonders. Why are so many people judging when they have never even tried this type of workout. Why are people so quick to judge when they really got no actual experience on the matter and have not got a clue what they are talking about. Are we just getting lazy?

This is how my workout is looking -

Workout 1 (Monday & Friday)

AM
    Chest
    Barbell Bench Press 5x 15,10,8,6,4
    Incline Barbell Bench Press - Same as Flat bench
    Dumbbell Flyes - 3x 10,8,6
    Shoulders
    Arnold Presses - 5x 15,10,8,8,6
    O/Head Reverse Flies - 3x 10
    Rear Delt machine - 3x 10
    PM
    Thighs
    Horizontal Laying Leg Press - 7x 20,10,8,6,4,12,12
    Leg extensions - 3x 10
    Leg Curls - 3x 10,8,6
    Calves
    Seated Calf Raises - 4x 10
    Standing Calf Raises - 4x 15,10,8,8
    Abs
    Crunches 3x 25
    Rope Crunches 5x 15

(Impossible to do squats due to spinal/back problems)

Workout 2 (Tuesday & Saturday)

Back
    Lat Pulldowns 3x 10
    Chinups - 4x 10 minimum per set (Alternating to front or rear each workout)
    Seated Rows - 3x 12,8,6
    Hyperextensions - 3x 12
    Pullovers- 3x15
    Arms
    Skullcrushers - 4x 15,10,8,6
    Triceps Cable Pushdowns - 3x 8
    Concentration Curls 4x 12,10,8,6
    Forearms
    Barbell Wrist Curls - 4x 10
    Reverse Wrist Curls - 4x 10
    Calves
    Seated Calf Raises - 4x 10
    Abs
    Machine Crunches Reps 5x 25.
    And this is what he said

"Well the fact of the Matter is this, people are just plain lazy these days and that is all to that. I didn't see anything wrong with your workout, its sorta similar to mine. In some of those sets you were doing 8reps, 6 reps. That could just be a whole set for me. I say to you keep doing what you're doing, I think its a great way to train. Just don't try to convince the lazys of your methods."

Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    But I dont understand what he meant by
    "In some of those sets you were doing 8reps, 6 reps. That could just be a whole set for me."
    Can someone help

King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000) King of the Misc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Maybe he means he does like 14 in a set. From his vids he goes pretty high rep...

USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10) USN1981 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    whats the URL to his forum?

Originally Posted by r-ban
    Maybe he means he does like 14 in a set. From his vids he goes pretty high rep...
    aww yeh that makes sense

cheers

USN1981 - *********

Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Tomek has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yeah i agree with r-ban.. i think he means that instead of doing 8, 6 rep sets he'll just add them and do a 14 rep set.

Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pullup17 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Perhaps he meant he'll do 8 reps then do a drop-set of 6 more reps.

Could be anything.

moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10) moe_flex is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    at the end of your post u should of wrote LIGHT WEIGHT. lol

2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 2_GuNz_Up has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Ronnie is on abundant amounts of gear. Wait till your 4th month max, you will be shaking, with a feaver, in bed sick, due to over training.
    Authentic British Muscle

Originally Posted by 2_GuNz_Up
    Ronnie is on abundant amounts of gear. Wait till your 4th month max, you will be shaking, with a feaver, in bed sick, due to over training.
    Rubbish

twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50) twinposedown will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Wink

Thats why you take a week off/deload/taper when you start to feel overtrained

Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Big_G1986 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

What are you smoking

Ronnie coleman meant to say that he lays eggs.
    "I keep a bottle of testosterone sitting on a triple-layer bench shirt in the back of my gym, but I have yet to see it bench 5 pounds"

-louie simmons

irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You do 7 sets of leg presses!!?? My god i would be dead after 7 sets.

Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mae is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i appreciate what big ron is to the sport, but the fact of that matter is that i've seen him say SO many different things, its hard to know what the hell he does. He wont tell anyone his training stuff in interviews, others he says he does high volume, others says hes always done low volume, other says he lifts in a powerlifters sense, others say blah blah blah.....

i mean no disrespect, but ive seen him contradict himself so many times in interviews
    245 pounds- transitioning into cutting

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    from the voice of age and experience I can tell you for sure.....NEVER did people whine and worry so much about "overtraining" as they do today

it is totally out of hand

I remember a cool story Dr Michael Yessis told.....he was following the Soviet athletes during one of the olympics....following the Soviet volleyball team

so he says at like 5AM....on the day they played the USA team at night.....the Soviets got up and started doing calestenics, some running, pushups etc etc..a decent little workout

then they went to a field and marked off some lines...split up into 2 squads and started playing soccer.....they often use "other" sports to train for their main sport...the wrestlers often play basketball etc

so they are playing soccer and people start to gather around and watch.....people are amazed at their speed and stamina etc...so they start asking "which soccer team is this??".....so they are told "this is the Russian team.......the Russian VOLLEYBALL" team

they are out there playing this "full court" soccer game and the have a big match against the USA that night

meanwhile the USA team slept in till like 930AM, lol

the Soviets beat the USA like 4 games to 0 that night

but hey....at least we didnt "overtrain" right?
    "Humility comes before honor"

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    another time the USA wrestling coaches asked the soviet wrestling coaches if their were soem drills or soemthing that both teams could work on together

the Soviets were like "of course.....basketball"

so they started playing basketball....full court basketball......after a while the Americans were puking etc, lol...after a couple of hours the Soviet coaches were like "ok, lets wrestle!"

hehe
    "Humility comes before honor"

K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When Ronnie does multiple sets you have to realize that not all of them are working sets...
    A king may move a man, a father may claim a son. But remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.

Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50) Eggwhites will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    God, extreme high volume is not going to get anyone here anywhere. People who try to copy the pros are just plain stupid. What works for pros won't work for a teenager because of so many reasons that I won't even try to list. Okay, I'll list some of them. Thread-starter, do you have Ronnie's genetics? Are you enhanced? Do you eat 7000 calories a day?

You need to be aware of overtraining. With the workout you posted, you will probably not make any progress and in a year will wonder why you aren't growing. Drop the volume!!! Trust me, I've been on the high volume route, and it's not pretty.

And no, I'm not lazy. You can do low volume and train with very high intensity. Actually, my lower volume workouts are more intense my old high volume ones.

LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) LT1PowerD has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    You can listen to what the pros say but thats what works for them. You have to figure out what works for you.

Like above odds are they aren't the same thing right now.

I did a high volume routine for months, although still less then yours, and its only when I lowered the volume I began to see results.
    6'8"...... ~275pds, @~17%bf

RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RiK is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by irocktheyellow
    You do 7 sets of leg presses!!?? My god i would be dead after 7 sets.
    You're telling me, his intensity can't be that high. Before i knew better than to go to failure on every set i would do 8 sets of squats to failure. Let me tell you i nearly had a godamn heart attack every workout.

Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10) Green_day is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    the thread is on *********.net where ronnie has his own forum to anwer posts... I read the same post this morning

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)
    The goal of bbing is to stimulate not annhilate.

You can trigger a muscle to grow with low volume while excessive volume simply prolongs recovery time..

Ronnie isnt the best person to ask for trainign advice. His form is among the worst of any pro.

irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50) irocktheyellow will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RiK
    You're telling me, his intensity can't be that high. Before i knew better than to go to failure on every set i would do 8 sets of squats to failure. Let me tell you i nearly had a godamn heart attack every workout.
    Yea really. In my opinion, lower volume with high intensity works better than high volume with medium intensity. Especially if you are natural. I do 8 sets total for quads and after i can barely walk out of the gym.

Originally Posted by Guardian

You can trigger a muscle to grow with low volume while excessive volume simply prolongs recovery time..

Ronnie isnt the best person to ask for trainign advice. His form is among the worst of any pro.
    I completely agree. Hit it hard with full intensity then eat and rest. To me it seems like a waste of time if you aren't going with maximum intensity. Plus Ronnie is a freak, like Arnold or Paul Dillet. Their genetics are so superior that they could do anything and they would grow.

affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) affy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    does it work for you...if it does...then keep doing what you do

the people who are successful in bodybuilding find exactly what works for them...and stick to it...thats what seperates average lifter from a bodybuilder.

high volume never worked for me personally, i used to be in the gym for more than one and half hour...did anywhere from 30-35 sets per bodypart...and it was very difficult to gain any weight (note that i did see a difference in my body, it just took longer). then i tried a max ot style of training...and everything just blew up...my arms, chest, back, legs

in short...don't listen to what other people say...try everything and stick to what works for you

JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100) JuicyCop2 is not very well liked. (-100)

Yeah... i guess thats why he is mr. o. I agree with Ronnie. I see hit as a short cut. Works for some but i prefer high volume. After all look at arnie, ronnie and other greats that used it.
    Last edited by JuicyCop2; 08-27-2006 at 02:29 PM.

oh here we go again
    this coming from people who have no experience in high volume training
    you see something a lot of sets and immediately go 'thats overtraining, its too much blah blah blah' - overtraining? what a load of ****ing ****.
    I guess you missed the part where i said ive been doing it for a while new with very good results
    Too many lazy people, too many 'experts' lmfao, and too many people quick to judge.

John Prophet reps when i recharge
    Last edited by Oz Enhanced; 08-27-2006 at 02:39 PM.

Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000) Guardian is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I used high volume training for over two years when I first started training. I can say from experience that I seen better results and felt better using a HIT training style similar to Yates.

I used high volume training for over two years when I first started training. I can say from experience that I seen better results and felt better using a HIT training style similar to Yates.
    Yeh I dont think high volume training would be good for pple who are just starting out - sinse they have not done weights before and their body is not use to it all - its like jumping into the deep end of the pool on your first lesson.

Originally Posted by Oz Enhanced
    oh here we go again
    this coming from people who have no experience in high volume training
    you see something a lot of sets and immediately go 'thats overtraining, its too much blah blah blah' - overtraining? what a load of ****ing ****.
    I guess you missed the part where i said ive been doing it for a while new with very good results
    Too many lazy people, too many 'experts' lmfao, and too many people quick to judge.

John Prophet reps when i recharge
    Why do you keep saying that people are lazy? you can't generalize like that. So since of course you aren't lazy, how many times have you competed? How many times have you dieted down for months and gone through hell to get there? Look at training from a low volume advocate for a minute. Why perform more sets if performing less results in similar or better gains than with high volume. Plus you would have more time to rest and eat, critical components to building muslce. Its not all about the training. I have indeed followed both types of training and i have found what works best for me.