Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Do you wear a belt while lifting?

I am thinking about getting a belt for lifting.
    Mostly for squats and deads, but seems lke it would help with just about everything..

if you do, do you use an old fashioned leather belt or some new age deal?

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    No belts.
    Here Lies the Rant
    2005 - 2015

Negs from 1938-1945

-lenco

Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wearing a belt will inhibit growth in your core muscles, particularly lower back muscles. If your lower back can't handle the weight you are squatting, then cheating with a belt isn't the way to go. Strengthen your lower back and gradually increase the weight. I suppose if you are really pushing yourself on a 1rm or such, a belt isn't a bad idea, but in general they are not good for overall muscle development.
    There is no finish line.
    Overtraining happens far less often than laziness.

Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109984461

mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mjw8204 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Ace_frehly
    Wearing a belt will inhibit growth in your core muscles, particularly lower back muscles. If your lower back can't handle the weight you are squatting, then cheating with a belt isn't the way to go. Strengthen your lower back and gradually increase the weight. I suppose if you are really pushing yourself on a 1rm or such, a belt isn't a bad idea, but in general they are not good for overall muscle development.
    Mr. Rippetoe actually disagrees with this. As does Iron Addict.

In regards to wearing a belt: "This is a judgement call, one that must be made with the input of the trainee, but its probably prudent to err on the side of safety if there is any question at all about it. A belt will not prevent the trunk from getting and staying strong - there is plenty of work for the trunk muscles even if a belt is worn on heavy sets - and it may help the trainee to safely squat enough weight to radically improve his strength, something he might not be able to do without it." Mark Rippetoe (in Starting Strength, pp 62-63.)

"I will assume responsibilty for not emphasizing enough to my trainees to WEAR A BELT when doing low rep work. My fualt for making the assumption that everyone knows a belt is needed when doing heavy 5's, 3's, and singles. Yes, you will get some guys that will state that not wearing a belt helps build your core. THAT IS WHAT CORE WORK IS FOR! When you are doing heavy low rep work you need the intra-abdominal stability the belt provides." Iron Addict

I don't think anyone would call Iron Addict a cheater or a sissy.

Further discussion here: http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2930
    Last edited by mjw8204; 08-23-2006 at 04:10 PM.

Half Norse, Half Animal VikingMan's Avatar
    VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000) VikingMan is just really nice. (+1000)
    Yeah, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a real lifter, lifting REAL weight that isn't wearing a belt. Once the poundages are more considerable, a belt becomes like a second set of abs, helping stabalize your core.

If your that worried about it though, only wear it on maximal, or near maximal attempts.

I actually don't wear a belt. The one time I tried, it didn't seem to make a damn bit of difference.
    How does one destroy darkness? The answer dawned upon my mind, blinding in it's brilliance. To destroy darkness, one must simply expose it to the light.

Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10) Stefanogym is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i do agree as regards really maximal training, but absolutely i discourage to use it in a normal body building workout because it will only prevent your core to be engaged and absolving its functions...

Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Ace_frehly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Perhaps I am wrong then. But I did read that on the internet somewhere, and I usually just believe everything I read because doing so shows I have an open mind. I still don't want to carry a belt and a dip belt into the gym with me though.
    There is no finish line.
    Overtraining happens far less often than laziness.

Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109984461

Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I wear a belt on my last warmup set and my work sets.

I do not think that I am cheating by using it. Your mileage may vary.

My belt is a heavy 4 inch suede leather, double prong job. Like this:

http://www.inzernet.com/detail_econo...CON_POWER_BELT
    Patience + Persistence = Progress. (Bill Starr, The Strongest Shall Survive)

My Journal = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=871168

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I wear em for squats, deads, and lately for bent rows.....I havent done good mornings in a while but id wear one for that also

I have deadlifted without one, no problem....pretty sure id have a hard time squatting without a belt though..I am too used to it now
    "Humility comes before honor"

Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Khryz is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The amount of compression load on the lumbar intervertebral discs during exercises such as squats and deads are enormous. According to Zatsiorsky, around 830 lbs of pressure are measured under correct deadlift techniques, whereas over 1400 lbs of pressure are measured under incorrect deadlift techniques - this is from only lifting a 110 lb barbell. Think about how much that multiplies when you're maxing out on 500+ lb deadlifts. That's almost 4,000 lbs of pressure. Also according to Zat, the pressure can be reduced by 20% on average to up to 40% if you use the Valsalva maneuver which increases Intra-Abdominal Pressure (IAP). A belt would most likely be just as effective, if not more. And obviously, they can be used together.

So for me personally, I'd rather use the belt on maximal work (5RM of heavier) and do a few exercise core work exercises just incase. But for me, the amount of weight I get to add to the bar due to the belt's increased IAP, helps the core just as much just like Rippetoe said.
    I've still got a lot to learn.

John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) John Prophet is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    valsalva all the way...that and try to keep the back arched......I push the gut out against the belt to increase IAP
    "Humility comes before honor"

Wolf Climbing The Hill dangoody27's Avatar
    dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50) dangoody27 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think it is up to personal preference, but the way I see it: there are guys out there a lot stronger than me and all they use is chalk.
    "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great." - Tom Hanks

"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

want to look good naked sublimelaxer's Avatar
    sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I wear a belt on my highest workset. So when my work sets goes up the amount of weight I do without a belt goes up.
    Goals:
    Gain mass while remaining lean(immediate)
    Cut at 180-190(long term)

Climbing back to the top. Hizzie's Avatar
    Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50) Hizzie will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I haven't worn a belt since my shoulder injury and routine switch. I still have my Valeo (standard 4") which is always in the gym bag and a suede lever belt from my powerlifting days. If I were in the market for a new one I'd most likely get the coutoured belt made by Schiek Sports.
    Review Page
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=894821

Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50) Mass-Mission will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dangoody27
    I think it is up to personal preference, but the way I see it: there are guys out there a lot stronger than me and all they use is chalk.
    what are the guys that are smarter than you using?