Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10)

WildFox goes Wild on Starting Strength (Rippetoe)

I've recently begun "Starting Strength" (Mark Rippetoe) based on the fantastic writeups here and elsewhere. I am not totally new to weight lifting, but I am rather new to the goal of getting big and strong. I used to try to get leaner (<200), but damn I like eating so much I think I will go the other direction :-)

I have ordered the book, should arrive on Friday.

In the past I have had personal trainers at gyms, and lost faith in them after a few months and lot's of money down the drain. Also have done some cycles of HST. HST actually worked quite well for me, but I have decided to get stronger as a main goal. After I've spent 4-6 months on Starting Strength, I'd like to take a little break then go on to 5x5. Hopefully by then I will be able to recruit one of my neighbors as a spotter. He trains at Gold's and is very athletic. Just also very busy.

Current basic stats: 5'9, 209#, managing insulin resistance and cholesterol issues with diet. I've had a lot of endocrinologists helping me with hypogonadism too. Now I'm on HRT, which I guess is unusual for a 35 year old. So anyone paying attention should bear that in mind.

Bulking, 1.5g protein/pound a day. I use fitday.com to track food and activity.

If anyone wants to see diet and measurements, just ask. I hesitate to post pics because I'm just kind shy like that (for now).

Here's a question I have: I feel like I have a lot of extra energy on off days. I know I'm not supposed to do cardio, so what to do?

Well, that's my introduction. I really appreciate the helpful people on this board and what I've been able to learn so far from what they have shared with others.

wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10) wildfox is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    It's been a good first week. I recorded my lifts on paper and plan to enter them here ASAP. I recall today's from memory.

(Edit to insert Monday and Wed. for WEEK ONE)
    Week 1 Day 1 A
    Squat 3x5x135
    BP 3x5x85
    DL 1x5x115
    Decline BP 2x8x60
    Weighted Decl. Sit-ups 2x8xBW

Week 1 Day 3 B
    Squat 3x5x145
    Mil. Press 3x5x70
    P Row 3x5x80
    Lat PD 2x8x70
    Weighted Decl. Sit-up 2x8x(BW+10)

I really love working the legs. Did the following today

Week 1 Day 5 A
    Squat 3x5x155 (after warmups)
    BP 3x5x105 (did 2x5x95 as a warmup) [corrected]
    DL 1x5x155
    Decl. BP 2x10x65
    Weighted situps: 2x10x(BW+15)

These are not even close to my best, but I read that one should start "Starting Strength" at 70% of 5RM. These are more like 50% 5RM. Starting slowly will let me work on form and focus. I should be receiving the book today. I'll enjoy reading that over the weekend and getting ready for Monday!!

Last night I added the bench component to my homemade squat rack. I need to take a pic of that thing and post it. I'm quite proud of it, actually. I use sawhorses for safety.

Thanks for looking at the humble beginnings of my online journal. Have a great weekend!
    Last edited by wildfox; 08-25-2006 at 04:48 PM.

Smile Week Two Day 1 (B)

It's week two for me. My workouts are first thing in the morning. I sipped on gatorade during the workout.

Here's how it went.

Squat Warmup: the usual up to the 125s
    Squat: 3x5x165 (challenging)
    Press: 3x5x80 (easy), warmed up with 2x5xbar, 2x5x65
    Pendlay Row: 3x5x90 (easy)
    Weighted Decline Sit-ups: 3x8x(BW+20) (moderate)

I've been tracking all this in an excel spreadsheet so I can total up total poundages lifted. That's an easy way for me to see progress.

Today's total poundage worked: 7775. Wow! Last B was 5875 (didn't do press warmups last B).

Trying to get to 400 grams protein per day and 4000 calories per day. I didn't eat enough yesterday (Sunday, just 3193 cals), and I can tell today by how I feel.

Need to get better sleep too.
    Wild Fox
    Restarting Starting Strength Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2658971

Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Looks as if you are off to a good start.
    Patience + Persistence = Progress. (Bill Starr, The Strongest Shall Survive)

My Journal = http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=871168

Originally Posted by Tad_T
    Looks as if you are off to a good start.
    Thanks!
    Wild Fox
    Restarting Starting Strength Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=2658971

It sure ain't easy stuffing more than about 400g protein and 4000 calories in me per day. I can do it, but I never feel hungry so that makes it more challenging. I woke up starving this morning though, and I am maintaining weight: about 203. I will try to up my daily cal goal to 4270 by consuming more fat (fish oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, Udo's Choice, etc).
    Wild Fox

Week 2 Day 3 (A)

Total Pounds Worked (TPW): 10335
    (includes warmups and two sets of squats at the wrong weight)

Squat 170
    BP 115
    DL 175
    Dec BP 3*10*2x40 (used doubles in hammer config to simulate dips)
    Weighted Decl. Situps: 3*10*(BW+25)

Well, I need to get heavier dumbells. Workout was good. I did the deadleft from the bottom step leading into my garage. There's enough room on either side, which is cool. The bar was right in front of my toes. I was rather impressed, as I never did deadlifts before this summer, and that's a personal record! My back is getting stronger! Can't wait to hear what my chiropractor has to say about that.

Also, the poundage is way high because I misread my plan. I thought I was supposed to squat 165 today, but that was for Monday, so after two sets of that, I caught my error, and added 5 pounds, decided to go for it, and I did. Squats are awesome!
    Wild Fox

Week 2 Day 5 (B)

TPW 8500
    Squat 3x5x175
    Press 3x5x95
    P. Row 3x5x100
    Wtd. Decl Situp 3x10x30
    B-O DB Row 3x10x40
    DB Lat Raise 3x10x(10x2)

Had to work it in this evening. I'm happy about the improvements, though. Looking forward to Monday.
    Wild Fox

Thought I'd Post some measurements and goals as of today:
    I'm not so concerned about the Bodyfat, but I do plan to measure it as soon as my wife is free to help me do that.

Height: 5'9.5", Age 35
    Current / Goals
    Weight 204# / 240# (at end of "bulk")
    Chest 44 / 48
    Neck 16.5 / 17.75
    Arm 14.5 / 18
    Forearm 12 / 14
    Waist 42 / 34
    (will worry about this after bulked to 240)
    Hips 42.5 / 41
    Thigh 23.5 / 26
    Calf 15.75 / 16.5

For what it's worth I look good in 34 waist relaxed fit or 36 waist regular fit jeans. As long as my wife likes what she sees...........
    Last edited by wildfox; 09-03-2006 at 05:18 PM.
    Wild Fox

you must not know bout me littlechick's Avatar
    littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by wildfox
    Thought I'd Post some measurements and goals as of today:
    I'm not so concerned about the Bodyfat, but I do plan to measure it as soon as my wife is free to help me do that.

Height: 5'9.5", Age 35
    Current / Goals
    Weight 204# / 240# (at end of "bulk")
    Chest 44 / 48
    Neck 16.5 / 17.75
    Arm 14.5 / 18
    Forearm 12 / 14
    Waist 42 / 34
    (will worry about this after bulked to 240)
    Hips 42.5 / 41
    Thigh 23.5 / 26
    Calf 15.75 / 16.5

For what it's worth I look good in 34 waist relaxed fit or 36 waist regular fit jeans. As long as my wife likes what she sees...........
    hey, I am on rippetoe as well, and just checking out your journal to see how it was going. Sounds like you are off to a great start, how are you finding it so far?? I wish you luck in your goal to gain strength!

Originally Posted by littlechick
    hey, I am on rippetoe as well, and just checking out your journal to see how it was going. Sounds like you are off to a great start, how are you finding it so far?? I wish you luck in your goal to gain strength!
    Glad to have you stop by. I love the program so far! Good luck to you too!!
    Wild Fox

After reading Tad_T's journal, I decided to do some easy cardio.

30 min, 2 miles on treadmill uphill, ave heart rate 150.
    Wild Fox

libnany has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) libnany has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) libnany has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) libnany has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Best of luck to you Wildfox! Yours numbers are increasing very well. Look forward to following your progress.

Good decision mixing in some cardio.
    My Rippetoe Journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=11145959

Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Tad_T is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Hey, man, don't blame me

Strength is only one component of physical fitness. For overall fitness you have to train the other components, too. I feel that is important. At least to me it is.

Keep pushing on!

Originally Posted by libnany
    Best of luck to you Wildfox! Yours numbers are increasing very well. Look forward to following your progress.

Good decision mixing in some cardio.
    Hey Libnany! (Anta Libnani?) Thanks for the encouragement!
    Wild Fox

Hey, man, don't blame me

Strength is only one component of physical fitness. For overall fitness you have to train the other components, too. I feel that is important. At least to me it is.

Keep pushing on!
    I agree with you. I spoke to a slightly older friend today, with lot's of lifting experience, and he reminded me of the importance of low impact aerobic exercise for all-around cardio-vascular fitness. I don't think this will **** up the program, since it would be on off days and would not be so strenuous as to hinder recovery.

It was a beautiful day for a walk today, so we went for one.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement!
    Wild Fox

Week 3 Day 1 (A)

Total Pounds Worked (TPW): 11015
    (includes warmups)

Squat 180 (seems I can go up 5#)
    BP 125 (seems I can go up 10# each time)
    DL 185 (increasing by 10 here too)
    Dec BP 3*10*90 (used bar this time)
    Weighted Decl. Situps: 3*10*(BW+45)

The squats were a challenge. I go down to parallel, and the first inch or so going back up is tough, but the rest of the way is great. I kinda surprised myself that the deadlift seemed easy. I plan to go up by 10# only each time, but I have a great feeling about where this one is headed. Time will tell.

I remembered back to exactly three years ago today when I squatted 185x15x2 doing HST. Just somehow this brought back a little memory, and I miss my friend that got me motivated on HST. Funny how a workout could do that.

Hope you all had a great labor day. Now I need to chow down on a nice Filipino post workout meal (courtesy of my neighbors).
    Wild Fox

cmdrfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cmdrfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cmdrfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cmdrfunk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I agree with you. I spoke to a slightly older friend today, with lot's of lifting experience, and he reminded me of the importance of low impact aerobic exercise for all-around cardio-vascular fitness. I don't think this will **** up the program, since it would be on off days and would not be so strenuous as to hinder recovery.

It was a beautiful day for a walk today, so we went for one.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement!
    It really wont hinder recovery if you keep it slow. In fact it could help recovery and aid in you getting stronger. Improves nutrient transport and all that...
    My 5x5/Texas Method and then 5-3-1 journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=109674901

Angry My right knee hurts

Today's workout was a real disappointment. I didn't finish it.

I was at a friend's house, and he said my form was fine, but during the squat warm-ups (the 125# set), my right knee was in a lot of pain. I don't get it. I stretched it first, did a short full body workout before starting. Bar and 85# warm-ups were normal.

I would appreciate input regarding the possible cause and what to do.

1) Do I wait till all the pain is gone?
    2) Do I just reset to a much lower work wait and start all over again?
    3) Do I need to wrap my knee or wear a sleeve?

I have asked a friend to come over on Saturday and watch my form. She is a trainer. I will also be seeing my chiropractor on Saturday.

I have never experienced this before. I'm 35 now, but at age 32 I was squatting heavier for more reps. In high school and college I was a distance runner, and never had any problems with feet or knees. I'm wearing flat sketchers.

I will do the rest of the B workout tonight or tomorrow AM, without the squats :-(

Any advice?
    Wild Fox

Well, after re-reading the Squat chapter in Starting Strength, I've decided to do the following:

1) redo the workout tomorrow morning (since I didn't finish today)
    2) cut the squat work weight in half (95 instead of 190)
    3) wear different shoes, ones that have more arch support (I have flat feet)
    4) stretch a lot more before starting, including practicing the down position stance as a stretch, based on the instructions and photos in the book

This evening I stretched, put on more supportive shoes, tried 90# and felt no pain. I was happy about that.

Saturday I will have an early chiropractor appointment, then do the third workout after that visit. Hopefully this weekend my trainer friend can come over and watch my form.

What a day.
    Wild Fox

I think you are being very wise in having someone check your form.

Use light weight and ensure that your form is dead on. You are not in a race with anyone. Making sure you are good now will pay big dividends later.

Are you relaxing your hamstrings in the hole? If you are that can transfer stress to your knee.

Make sure that you are not bouncing either, that can also be bad.

I actually have a pair of weightlifting shoes that I wear when squatting. I got a pair of Do-Win's from Glenn Pendlay here:

http://store.wfwclub.com/shoes.html

They are very good shoes. I am quite happy with them. They give me very good stabilty when squatting.

Those are just some ideas that I am throwing out. If you still need help after you friend checks your form, maybe you could post a video. I am sure we can figure it out.

Tad_T,

Thank you very much for the insight and advice.
    Late last night I reread the Squat chapter of Starting Strength.
    This morning I restarted the workout with 135 as my squat work load.
    What I did differently this morning was:

1) different pair of shoes, giving more arch support to my flat feet
    2) stretched a lot more than I had before
    3) focused on keeping knees out (stretching the adductor muscles)...I had been bowing them in...I think this is the cause of the pain
    4) went all the way down and back up by "push my butt up"

If you have the book, you know what cue I mean by #4. I fell no pain at all. I still plan to have that trainer critique my form, and I will gradually build up from 135#

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input!
    Wild Fox

Yes, I have the book and I do know what you are talking about. If you are bringing your knees in that can definitely torque your knees.

I do 5 minutes on the bike and stretch before I lift. I also do some stretching when I am finished. I do not know if you have seen this book:

http://www.stretching.com/

It is well worth the price.

Yes, I have the book and I do know what you are talking about. If you are bringing your knees in that can definitely torque your knees.

I do 5 minutes on the bike and stretch before I lift. I also do some stretching when I am finished. I do not know if you have seen this book:

http://www.stretching.com/

It is well worth the price.
    That looks like the book we had in high school. Thanks for reminding me of it!
    Wild Fox

Try, try again.

This morning I did the workout I intended to do yesterday. This would be Week 3, day 3, B workout.

Total Pounds Worked (TPW) = 8250 (including warmup, this is just 250# less than last B workout and doesn't include the chins)

Squat 135 (down by 50 due to yesterday's knee pain)
    Press 95 (same as last time, I actually did some yesterday too)
    P. Row 110 (up by 10)
    Chins 2, 3 (negs) ... this is good for me as most of my life I couldn't do 1
    Weighted decline sit-ups: 3x10x(BW+45)

I have a cold today. My whole family has it, so I felt a bit run down.

Thanks to better warmup and much stretching, I had no pain. I am pretty sure the issue was not forcing my knees out because of my lack of adductor flexibility.

I feel better now.
    Wild Fox

A good day!

Well, I guess my squat deal is all figured out, because today I managed 190, which is what today should have been anyway!

TPW 11565# (including warmups and auxiliary stuff after, that's approximately 1/4 the weight of all the crap we own....WOW!)

Squat 190
    B. Press 135
    DL 195
    Decl. BP 100
    Wtd Decl Sit-up BW+40

Knowing that I'm getting stronger all the time feels great. I have a long road ahead, but the inspiration and encouragement around here, not to mention the advice, has been very motivating.

Enjoy your weekend! I'm set!
    Wild Fox

littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000) littlechick is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well, I guess my squat deal is all figured out, because today I managed 190, which is what today should have been anyway!

TPW 11565# (including warmups and auxiliary stuff after, that's approximately 1/4 the weight of all the crap we own....WOW!)

Squat 190
    B. Press 135
    DL 195
    Decl. BP 100
    Wtd Decl Sit-up BW+40

Knowing that I'm getting stronger all the time feels great. I have a long road ahead, but the inspiration and encouragement around here, not to mention the advice, has been very motivating.

Enjoy your weekend! I'm set!
    good job..one bad workout does not mean another....sometimes you have a great one, other times, not so great! glad to hear your last workout was a good one!
    Deadlifting 250 lbs!

All right! Looking Strong.

Week 4 Day 1 Workout B
    TPW 11915# (including warmups)

Squat 195
    Press 105
    P. Row 125
    Wtd Decl Sit-up BW+40
    DB B-O Row 40x3x10, 50x1x10

Starting to get close to some personal records. The squats are really teaching me to be well warmed up, stretched and use proper form. I did a LOT of stretching this morning. I also am realizing I need to eat more. My fitday.com journal shows that I'm not eating enough. I think I'm worried too much about body fat (I do have plenty at the moment though).
    Last edited by wildfox; 09-12-2006 at 11:33 AM.
    Wild Fox

Week 4 Workout B
    TPW 11915# (including warmups)

Squat 195
    Press 105
    P. Row 125
    Wtd Decl Sit-up BW+40
    DB B-O Row 40x3x10, 50x1x10

Starting to get close to some personal records. The squats are really teaching me to be well warmed up, stretched and use proper form. I did a LOT of stretching this morning. I also am realizing I need to eat more. My fitday.com journal shows that I'm not eating enough. I think I'm worried too much about body fat (I do have plenty at the moment though).
    you have to eat, or no muscle, when u have more muscle, body fat will come off faster and easier..and you'll look like a big beast!
    Deadlifting 250 lbs!