Closed Thread
    Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Is BULLWORKER any good?

I purchased an old, used Bullworker from a second hand shop last week. You know, one of those things, that even if you're a wimp, you can still defend yourself by swinging it 'round yer head and hitting people with

Well, so far I've only 'played' with it. I did post earlier, asking advice on buying free weights, but I'm begining to wonder if this thing might not be the solution to my basic routine, for now. I've been feeling some interesting results and I'm not sure, but I *think* my arms may just have gotten a little more defined. I feel better in myself, too, though that could be psychological.

So, today, I looked around the 'net for some testimonials and official excercise charts. I've collected about 10 or so movements, although the adverts boast over 40 exercises. Does anyone know where I could get hold of the full chart for little to nothing?

In your experiences, is this thing a silly gimmick, or does it really do what it says on the tin? I mean - how would it compare with free weight-training?

My aerobic and warm up is taken care of on the bike - no matter what the weather, and I use my squeezy hand-springs while watching TV at night.

Also, does anyone have any warnings about Bullworker? Like, is it easy to strain yourself, or something? I'm not not one for fast repetitions, rather, I have been working slowly and methodically with it, in an effort to build strength, rather than sheer bulk.

Thanks in anticipation, friends...

V
    Last edited by Varney; 08-23-2006 at 09:17 AM.

jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000)
    How many times have you used it?
    WWJB (what would Jesus bench)

Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Chipman is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You can get the original manual here.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=140021435681

YOu can alos get it in word document for 2 bucks on ebay.
    HuH?

lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000) lukamar is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Varney
    Well, so far I've only 'played' with it. I did post earlier, asking advice on buying free weights, but I'm begining to wonder if this thing might not be the solution to my basic routine, for now.

I *think* my arms may just have gotten a little more defined
    I feel like I'm being sucked into the spiral abyss. Items like the Bullworker are not designed to help you work out they are designed to separate you from your cash in slick TV commercials.

You could add to your new gym equipment by going to a stream near you and collecting different sized rocks or an old log to lift as well.

You can exercise with anything but you will have spotty results at best.

More definition in your arms in a week is totally in your head. You get definition from a low BF%, go look at some pictures of starving Ethiopians they have great definition but no muscle.

Spend the weekend driving around to yard sales and you will find some equipment that will work. It's everywhere. Here is a hint... Used exercise equipment usually does not sell well so if you find something and the price is too high go back in the last hour of their sale and they may give it to you rather than lug the stuff back into the storage.

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Ah, the Bullworker. I remember my dad bought me one for Christmas when I was about 17 years old. I thought I had died and went to heaven.

It is mostly hype; you certainly cannot get an Olympian body in 20 minutes a a day, three times a week. And certainly if you are involved in weight training, it is useless.

However, isometric exercise does have its benefits. It will increase your strength, but you quickly reach a peak and eternal plateau.

I do remember that there is one exercise that was supposed to work your triceps that caused a terrible pain in my brachs.

One funny story: when I was in the Navy, we were playing basketball and this rather rotund chief decided to join us. He was not very good, and he was sporting a less than flattering tight tee-shirt that said "Bullworker Training". After a few games, and the chief really dragging, a buddy of mine walks up to him and says "Hey chief, the Bullworker people just called. They said they will give you a $100 to take that shirt off."

Ray
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by pastorgbc
    Ah, the Bullworker. I remember my dad bought me one for Christmas when I was about 17 years old. I thought I had died and went to heaven.

It is mostly hype; you certainly cannot get an Olympian body in 20 minutes a a day, three times a week. And certainly if you are involved in weight training, it is useless.

However, isometric exercise does have its benefits. It will increase your strength, but you quickly reach a peak and eternal plateau.

I do remember that there is one exercise that was supposed to work your triceps that caused a terrible pain in my brachs.

One funny story: when I was in the Navy, we were playing basketball and this rather rotund chief decided to join us. He was not very good, and he was sporting a less than flattering tight tee-shirt that said "Bullworker Training". After a few games, and the chief really dragging, a buddy of mine walks up to him and says "Hey chief, the Bullworker people just called. They said they will give you a $100 to take that shirt off."

Ray
    ROTFLMAO (that is the first time I ever snorted up soda while reading a thread)

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm not sure about the Bullworker, but I'm getiin' me on of those CrossCrunchers I just saw on TV. For only 2 easy payments of $29.99....oh wait, if I call today they'll make the first payment for me! Yep, 90 seconds a day is all it takes to get washboard abs. You guys go ahead and do your swiss ball crunches and sit-ups, but I'm gettin' me that there CrossCruncher
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) pastorgbc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by dbx
    I'm not sure about the Bullworker, but I'm getiin' me on of those CrossCrunchers I just saw on TV. For only 2 easy payments of $29.99....oh wait, if I call today they'll make the first payment for me! Yep, 90 seconds a day is all it takes to get washboard abs. You guys go ahead and do your swiss ball crunches and sit-ups, but I'm gettin' me that there CrossCruncher
    While you're at it, why don't you get yourself a "Thigh Master". (I can't even type that without blushing). :#
    Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven... so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you. Matt. 6: 1-4

Speaking of the old time equipment remember the chest spring thing. It had three springs and you pulled them across your until your arms were straight across. Did no one notice that it worked the back not the chest

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by jacktheblack
    Speaking of the old time equipment remember the chest spring thing. It had three springs and you pulled them across your until your arms were straight across. Did no one notice that it worked the back not the chest
    I still have one I can't even remember how long I've had it, but I'm thinking over 30yrs.

And no, I've never actually used it. I'm just really bad about not throwing things away.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Works best with thigh cream.

NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NuclearArms has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The ol' chest springy thing. I'd be affraid of losing too much chest hair nowadays trying to use one of those things.
    My famous work quote:

I can live with a little pain and 18+" arms,
    I can't live with the pain of having little 14" arms

Originally Posted by NuclearArms
    The ol' chest springy thing. I'd be affraid of losing too much chest hair nowadays trying to use one of those things.
    That's the damn truth. That thing will grab skin pretty easy from what I remember. It's okay when you're pulling, but watch out on the release!

markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) markb3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was having a clear out recently and found an old one in a corner. I'd bought it second hand very cheaply a good few years ago but never used it. I decided to see if I could find some info on the net...

You didn't say which model, these are for the X5 with the nylos straps rather than the ones with plastic coated steel cables.

You can download a foreign wallchart from... http://www.forum.bullworker.com/viewtopic.php?t=73

And a video from... http://www.forum.bullworker.com/viewtopic.php?t=38

And I'm just uploading a PDF of the manual to my webspace... Right click and save

jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmc53 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Varney
    but I'm begining to wonder if this thing might not be the solution to my basic routine, for now. V
    Varney,
    Until you get yourself set up with weights or a gym membership - your answer is push-ups (on the knees if necessary to begin with), sit-ups or crunches, lying leg raises, and walking.
    Got any buckets? Try curling buckets full of water or sand or gravel for a while. You could do shoulder presses over your head with a dining chair (subject to ceiling height).
    Bodyweight squats or squats using buckets from above.
    If you imagine a scale going from no strength training at 0% to pro BB'er at 100% you can probably get from 0% to about 15% with a bit of imagination - you can get started TODAY while shopping around for a good deal on weights over the next few weeks!
    Jason.

Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Baldsnake is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Rubber is the answer for under $50 US training. The strongest men in the world train with rubber bands....FACT. See my Green Friend thread.

30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jacktheblack
    Oh man that is so funny you brought that up..I remember that thing. Those were hot in the 70's and my ten aged cousin got one. So I decide to give it a try and Im like 8-9, and I have no shirt on...and being a kid I want to spread my hnds as far apart as possible to show eveyone that even though Im a kid Im still strong. Naturally I use my chest (its summer and Im shirtless) at a fulcrum to separate these handle opening these 3 springs. Can you guess what happened when I let the handle collape back together. It looked like I had a skin condition as I had about 30 blood blisters across my chest as result and my nipple even got caught in one of the springs. OUCH MFer memories still hurt today from that!

Teacher and Bodybuilder BergMuscle's Avatar
    BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) BergMuscle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Smile More blasts from the past!

Long, long, long ago I had a Bullworker. Please note the word "bull" in the name. Really just a tool for isometrics. I've had more results from a month of weight training than the year I used the Bullworker.

And I have one of those old chest-pulls. A former neighbor left it in the weight area in our collective basement (I live in a four-unit condo building). Yes, it works the back, not the chest. And you can take off a few springs, slip your foot in one handle and do bicep and tricep work. Still nowhere near the results that free weights can give.

The old "tried and true" stuff really is the best.

Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Varney has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi Lukamar,
    ___
    "I feel like I'm being sucked into the spiral abyss. Items like the Bullworker are not designed to help you work out they are designed to separate you from your cash in slick TV commercials."<quote>
    ___
    Well, Thanks... I do know not to bother with many TV advertised products. However, we don't get the same pummelling rate of TV ads here in the UK. At least, I've never seen an ad for Bullworker here. I've read some independant reviews which say free weights are best, but Bullworker WILL give you some benefits - one of which is that it's portable and can maybe fill in when you can't get to a gym/your home weights.
    __
    "More definition in your arms in a week is totally in your head."
    __
    Sorry, what I meant was, my arms seem to be getting just a tiny bit bigger, with the work I've been doing, but in much more than a week. I was wrong to say 'definition'. Actually, mixing cement the other week for hours on end, did make them seem a little bigger and my hand grips have made a noticable difference.

Also, thanks, yes - I do go to car boot sales and know all the little tricks. Just that I haven't seen any weights yet. Sure I will, though

JMC - I like those suggestions. I agree, one can spend far too much money and maybe get little more than you'd find around you. Buckets is a good idea. I'm not joining a gym. I just don't want to do that.

pastorgbc, I don't WANT an olympian body... I'd rather just have a body which works well enough and - more importantly, a life!

I don't think you can compare a Bullworker to those stupid springs, which catch body hair and amputate people's noses when you let go of them... Okay, so I have the BW and it works okay... But point taken, it's not for getting serious with, I take it. I'll keep on the lookout for the weights.

Thanks all!

V
    Last edited by Varney; 08-24-2006 at 10:40 PM.

So okay.... Some of you guys may be all about pumping up like Action Men, some of you may even be strong... I'm just someone who wants general fitness and a little bit more strength and definition - or more to the point - at least, maintaining what I have now, with some improvement. As an aside, my father, who was a decorator, once had to sack a young guy with an 'Olympian?' style body. He looked amazing, but had no stamina for the job of painting; simply couldn't do a day's work and was useless for anything other than turning girls weak at the knees.

So surely, (back to the point) - if the Bullworker offers some resistance to the arms and I can feel the whole group of muscles working when I compress it, why is this not a beneficial product for my needs? I do want free weights and I value your advice on those. Is there anyone here who has found reasonable results using the BW? Do you not think it could be useful for warming up for weights, or something?

V
    Last edited by Varney; 08-25-2006 at 06:07 PM.

carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250) carbkilla has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    The Bullworker is cool, my friend had one and he looks like a bull now.

The thing I'm conserned with is overworking certain smaller muscles in a weird way. I'd go easy untill you find out what gets sore. It doesn't have much range of motion either.

Hey, anything you do is better than nothing. I think it might be good to have a the office for a few reps during break time or, easy to take along to get your friends interested in training.

CK
    Last edited by carbkilla; 08-25-2006 at 07:47 PM.
    Language and writing were also made available, the poetry of Khitai, the philosophy of Sung; and he also came to know the pleasures of women, when he was bred to the finest stock.

I think you must be right there, Carbkilla... Limited motion. I was wondering how versatile free weights can be, compared with BW, but recently, since finding out more, it seems it's free weights which offer more versatility. I guess portability must be it's biggest feature.

V

Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sampson777 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here is all the information you need. I owned and used one for a while, and also used a chest expander. I find that weights are the best.
    http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/bullworkerclub/

Also: Here: http://www.sandowplus.co.uk/Competit...lworker-01.htm is the entire manual.
    Last edited by Sampson777; 08-26-2006 at 06:24 PM.
    Height: 6'-2"
    Weight 185 pounds

Well, I think the Bull(****)worker has done it's job... It got me interested in free weights - and now I have some. I also have a sit-up bench. I wonder if it's worth keeping it now? If I swung it around my head, while making the appropriate demented sounds, I could convince people I'm a martial artist. I suppose I could take it with me on vacation...

V

Sampson, thanks for the links; After looking at the second, it becomes clear the BW is not such a bad exerciser after all. I'm really pleased with those exercises on the second link. I did look around the Bullworker Club previously. I'm fascinated to see real cases. I never trust the pics of strong men you see on the training adverts. But like you say, I can see now, the free weights are best.

V